Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:29 PM   #1

I took this pic with my C6 from Clark Quay bridge (I think that's the name), Singapore. I noticed the buildings appear bent. Is this what they call barrel distortion? Any tips to minimize/prevent this?

Thanks.

Click for larger pic:

mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:57 PM   #2

Yes, happens at wide angle (for example a fish-eye lensis very wide angle), zoom in to reduce the effect. Nice pic.

Example of a fish-eye lens photo foundwith google images, it's from a Nikon D100 with a 16mm Zenitar 2.8 fish-eye lens:

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:23 PM   #3

Hey mc_oliver, try this freeware Photoshop plugin called Panorama Tool:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/imag...rection_01.htm

(Page includes instruction and explanation)

It can correct pincushioning ("punched in" or "curved in") with tele lens, or barrel distortion ("blown out" or "curved out") with WA lens. There are also other adjustments, the most useful one being "perspective" adjustment - when you take a picture of a building from the ground, the building appears "tilted" or "pointed", with supposed-to-be parallel walls slanted upwards trying to meet at the top. This is an effect created by the WA lens. The perspective control corrects this so that the sidewalls are straight and parallel again. This is a very useful tool for architectural photographic documentation.

Hope this is useful.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:27 PM   #4

Thanks caelum.

Googling around, I found a free utility for Photoshop HERE (if anybody lelse is interested) which can correct this "problem" (I see from your posted pic how this can be used artistically as well.)

Here's the corrected image. When working with the tool , though, I had to crop it since some black bars apeared so I lost some pic info. No biggie, just something to consider then when taking a shot next time. Also, darkened it a bit since I was editing it anyway.

Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:29 PM   #5

Ha. Thanks blindsight. I was already typing while you were posting. :-)
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:53 PM   #6

Nice tool guys. But it's weird, Ican't really explainwhy,I like the original better? The corrected one looks flat to me, less 3D?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:40 PM   #7

I was reading an earlier post about "dead pixels" - are those "stars" visible in the dark space between the buildings on the right problem pixels or real stars?

Nick
staib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:30 AM   #8

looks to me like barrel distortion. this is usually caused when taking a far image at widest zoom (but to the degree it is on ur photothis shouold oly occur on really nasty cams) ORRR u have the cam focus mode set to macro. When cams are set to macro and long range shots are taken barrelling is quite common.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote