Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:22 PM   #1

I got the VPCHD1 and its great for my needs so far. but i am having a problem i cannot figure out. when i try to watch video that i record in the HD mode on my computer it doesnt work its so herky jerky and the audio and video arent insync. why is this? is this because my computer isnt fast enough? if i record in the non-hd mode it plays back fine.

thanks
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:58 PM   #2

It sounds like you have answered your own question. You need a fast machine and a good video card. I also suggest lots of memory so the file can load and decompress in physical memory. You might try making sure little else is running. Also, try the program VLC from http://www.videolan.org/

Somethign else I have found is that resizing takes a lot more PC horsepower. So, don't run the image full screen but rather let it rin n its native size i.e. 640x480 1280x720 etc.

Paul
paulplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:35 AM   #3

If you want to play it from DVD Player without using PC, you may consider IODATA AVel LinkPlayer2 which can playback Sanyo MP4 720p directly after burning into DVD.

wswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 8:30 AM   #4

paulplatt wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like you have answered your own question. You need a fast machine and a good video card. I also suggest lots of memory so the file can load and decompress in physical memory. You might try making sure little else is running. Also, try the program VLC from http://www.videolan.org/

Somethign else I have found is that resizing takes a lot more PC horsepower. So, don't run the image full screen but rather let it rin n its native size i.e. 640x480 1280x720 etc.

Paul

Hi Paul-

Thanks for the suggestions. A few more questions come up for me now:

(1) What should I shoot my video in? should i not use use the HD mode? I bought it for that reason. I can view it fine on my hd tv but not on the pc in hd mode. I was thinking shoot hd and then convert to watch on a pc and share with others. so confused what to do?

(2) I will try vlc but before i do you think it will work on my machine or its just too slow?

pentium-centrino 1.2 mghz with 1 gig of ram ati radeon 9200 xp pro

(3) also when you say don't run the image full screen but rather let it run in its native size i.e. 640x480 1280x720 etc. do you mean do not reccord? i am not sure what you mean on this?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps i will check out the io data player as well. but i would just hook the cam to the tv most of the time.

Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:18 PM   #5

1) Shoot in HD mode. It is why you got the camera. After spending close to $1,000 on the camera, the PC issues are solvable.

2) VLC is free. I don't know if it will work but try it. The price is right.

3) When you play back your video there is a setting which selects playback sizing. In Quicktime, which I assume is what you are using, it is under the VIEW menu. Use NORMAN SIZE and do not select FULL SCREEN. That adds extra processor load as the computer works to resize the image for display. What I am talking about has nothing to do with how you record your image. I am assuming your PC display resolution is greater than 1280x720.

Question 2 really had a second part. Your machine is way slow for a desktop and midrange for a laptop. A year ago I bought a 3.2 GHz Pentium4 and motherboard for $200 and updated my desktop machine. I would suggest at least something in this class. Machine power is too cheap to stay with what you have. You mention Centrino. Is this a nothebook? If so you might want to get an inexpensive desktop for playing back the video.

As an example, the video plays ok under Quicktime on my laptop if I keep it normal size but is a bit jumpy on full screen playback. My laptop is a1.86 GHz Pentium M (Pentium M at 2GHz is about = Pentium 4 at 3 GHz). with 2GB RAM. Display is driven by Mobility Radeon X300. Screen resolution is 1900x1200. So it is ok for payback if I am careful but for a large resizedimage I use my desktop. Interestingly the laptop cost a lot more than the desktop. Get a good basic desktop machine for large screen playback.

Just my personal opinion.

Paul
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:30 PM   #6

Another thought I had was to convert the images. AVI files will play under WIndows Media Player and should offer smoother playback since decoding is less intense. Try

Unlead Photo Explorer <-- comes with the HD1 so you have it

or one of the free programs like

MP4CAM2AVI <-- some people report it doesn't work with 720p from HD1

Sorry, just an idea but out of my direct experience level sonc eI am just looking longingly at the HD1 at this time.

Paul
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:52 PM   #7

Thanks alot for you time and advice Paul. Very much appreciated! Yes it is a laptop Sony Vaio I am working with . i will look into buying some new gear! $$$ need more $$$. really i want to be able to share the video with friends and family and they dont have fast cpu's. i guess i will record HD and then convert with ulead to avi and share that way. i will also try to use vlc.

THANKS AGAIN!

paulplatt wrote:
Quote:
Another thought I had was to convert the images. AVI files will play under WIndows Media Player and should offer smoother playback since decoding is less intense. Try

Unlead Photo Explorer <-- comes with the HD1 so you have it

or one of the free programs like

MP4CAM2AVI <-- some people report it doesn't work with 720p from HD1

Sorry, just an idea but out of my direct experience level sonc eI am just looking longingly at the HD1 at this time.

Paul
Old Feb 27, 2006, 7:36 AM   #8

I keep having more thoughts about your issue. Have you really thought it through? 720p files will be huge. We are talking sizes getting into the gigabytes. Even with broadband they will be a pain to send. I believe you can use some of the software you have or get software that will let you burn a DVD. Remember, a very long 720p file won't fit on a CD. If you are emailing it then you will want something at a lower resolution. I rarely email full resolution stills. They are just too big. I downsize them knowing most people will be happy with thelower resolution if they are looking at the picture on a small screen.

Paul
Old Feb 27, 2006, 8:16 AM   #9

Hi Paul-

so what are you suggesting set to HD and burn and send video and share that way? or just use the 640 x480 30fps setting all the time so the files will be smaller all around and not use the HD setting, maybe use it for really special moments i need to capture?

thanks again
Ud
Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:07 PM   #10

Taking video is like buying a piece of wood. You can cut it down but you can't add back on. In terms of video you can reduce resolution but once gone it is gone. I would take the video in the highest resolution you think you will ever want and save it that way. Then make appropriate size versions. I do that with stills all the time.

If you want to show people HD video than I am suggesting that you burn it onto a DVD. Heck you can always generate high and low resolution versions and give them both. You can also make DVDs that they can play on their DVD player. I can't help you with specifics here but if you send me a free Sanyo HD1 I will figure it out and give you guidance :-) Maybe some others on the forum can be of more help here. Then again, if you have a spare HD1 laying around ...

Good luck.

Paul