Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 27, 2006, 1:17 PM   #1

As I read the HD1 review it hit me that I am having trouble placing the comments in perspective. Things change and what was excellent a few years ago is poor now. I am trying to figure out how much the negatives in the review will bother me. Here are some questions:

1) Low light grain is mentioned but I don't see a lot in the sample photos. I currently use a Fuji F700 and its performance is more than adequate on stills. I compared the review pictures for both cameras and to my untrained eye the HD1 looked sharper and I didn't see additional noise compared to the F700. Is the noise comment one where the F700, if reviewed today, would also be considered to have noise in very bright and dim areas? If the HD1 is as good or better than the F700the HD1can be my primary still camera.

2) I loved the photo showing the HD1 vs. the C5. In practice how do they feel? Does the HD1 feel that much bigger or is it a case where, in practice, it feels almost the same? I have seen the C5 and was impressed with the form factor.

Paul

paulplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:42 PM   #2

Interesting how this camera has generated a lot of excitement - well it would - and Steve's review certainly helped!

Then reports came in of a "fault" in the video processing of lines oriented in a certain (this "\") direction - not sure if this will be evident on cameras currently being shipped - but it probably will. Mine is on the way from HK to the UK and should be with me for the weekend. I will be very interested to see how the camera shapes up in normal conditions.

I have probably lowered my own expectations so much, after reading about this "fault", about blurry images when the camera is moved, about rather ineffective image stabilisation, and relatively poor light performance, that I rather hope to be pleasantlysurprised by the rest of it!

Nick
staib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:52 PM   #3

:lol: The pessimist is always pleasantly surprised.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:33 PM   #4

As I said in my first post, the comments aren't clear cut. I don't expect perfect video. However, the Fuji F700 is automatic and easy to use. If the exposure has to be done manually then that is a killer problem for me. I don't need great 5Mp pictures but I do need equal or better than the ones form my 3Mp Fuji. At first look form the reviews it looks like it will do that. Video looks better than the Fuji and the form factor seems good. Focus, low light and exposure settings on auto are concerns for me.

Paul
Old Mar 11, 2006, 1:17 PM   #5

There's not a hugeproblem with low light in stills.

It's more when you're shooting video.

I was outdoors today and it was overcast and the image was actually grainy because of the dimness.

You need a lot of light - and you also need consistent light or the cam gets very stressed.
byrnalano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 8:51 AM   #6

byrnalano wrote:
Quote:

There's not a hugeproblem with low light in stills.

It's more when you're shooting video.

I was outdoors today and it was overcast and the image was actually grainy because of the dimness.

You need a lot of light - and you also need consistent light or the cam gets very stressed.
How is focusing in low light? My Fuji has a focus assist lamp and that is one thing I noticed missing from the HD1. My old Ricoh lacked a focus assist lamp and focusing in general was a pain.

Thanks for the low light photo comments. I noticed that the stills Steve posted looked better to me than the Fuji F700 stills he has posted. The video clips look good to me and I like the idea of being able to take more than 7 minutes of video without filling up the card.

Paul
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7

OK - I have had a few plays with the HD1. I love the shape and feel - small but reassuringly solid (not plasticky). It's in my pocket now :-)

Having a camera that speaks to youisa novelty that only lasted about 10 seconds...

I think the negative comments about diagonal resolution are not that significant in real world usage - when reviewing the first few clips that I took I completely forgot about the issue.

The flash is much better than I feared - worked well in a darkish room at 2-3 metres - which is fine. The little button to open the flash cycles through the usual flash modes as well - took me a while to figure that one out...

Video is acceptable in lowish light, but the camera really excels outdoors. Sound recording is clear and in stereo - no problems there. Must check the wind noise reduction - haven't tried that yet.

The OLED screen is clear and sharp - but I haven't tried it in direct sunshine - it can be brightened however...

The HD mode is quite a novelty - moving images are so much bigger and sharper than 640x480 BUT compression is not without a price. Don't expect a DVD movie like quality all the time - after all you only have a few Gb of storage.

The 640x480 at 60fps is good - with very smooth playback.

In camera editing is basic - but you can join clips, extract stills etc. I have had Sony's Vegas 6 software recommended and am trialling it now, but that's expensive andI can't really afford that sort of thing, so am looking at other alternatives as the bundled software is NOT very impressive.

Nick
staib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:17 PM   #8
Administrator

Note that I have changed the HD1 review conclusion somewhat to note its poor low light video capability (similar to theC5) and made mention of the rumblings of some on the net about whether or not it actually generates 720p video or interpolates it in-camera. Let's hope the futureHD2 model addresses these concerns and fixes them, it is after all just the first generation of this new model and it took them four or five to get it right with the "C" series. Maybe we'll see a firmware upgrade for the HD1 - I don't know if it is possible but it would be nice :-)
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:40 PM   #9

Hi Steve,

great site! I have been visitiing here for years along with dpreview, my two main sources for information on digital cameras. Finally registered to contribute. I have both the c5 and the hd-1 but I have to disagree a bit..my results in low light are much better than with the c5. Still not great, but in an average restaraunt at night I can get decent video. The c5 would not have done as well. I suppose the c6 is better than either the hd-1 or c5? Another thing I notice is that the video looks much better on my 42" Sony lcd rear projection hdtv than on my 19" samsung lcd computer monitor. I think the TV's noise reduction processing cleans things up some and the monitor shows all of the gory details:-)

regards

rich

richiedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:26 PM   #10

steve wrote:
Quote:
Note that I have changed the HD1 review conclusion somewhat to note its poor low light video capability (similar to theC5) and made mention of the rumblings of some on the net about whether or not it actually generates 720p video or interpolates it in-camera. Let's hope the futureHD2 model addresses these concerns and fixes them, it is after all just the first generation of this new model and it took them four or five to get it right with the "C" series. Maybe we'll see a firmware upgrade for the HD1 - I don't know if it is possible but it would be nice :-)
Hi Steve -

Want to echo others that you are running a great site with lots of valuable information. This is definitely one of my top sites for getting the latest information on digital cameras (and also inkjet printers).

Can you share any of your sources of the "rumblings of in-camera interpolation"? This is the first time I have heard about it, so I would definitely be interested in finding out more.

I got my HD1 last week and so far have been very pleased with it. It is far from perfect, but I think Sanyo has created a entirely new segment that fits perfectly with my needs. I expect many other manufacturers will follow with similar cameras (that take reasonable/very good video in a small/pocketable form factor), but I want to reward Sanyo for its innovation with my dollars.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote