Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 3, 2006, 4:50 PM   #1

First off, I don't know anything about video cameras!

I wanted a backup for my Nikon DLSR cameras and Idid research on video/still cameras. I found the HD-1 and I liked what I saw.

Well, today I got the camera, hooked up the charger and went to town.

I posted some stills here: http://www.pbase.com/em_ct/sanyo_hd1

As far as the video is concerned, both standard and HD,I am impressed at the quality of the pictures. I just have to learn the do some smooth panning. I did not find the problem described by http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/.

More to come as soon I get familiar with the camera.

PS The pictures are straight from the camera, no alterations of any kind.
Egmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:33 PM   #2

egmont,

Can you post some indoor pics using incandescent light and flourescent light without flash? I had a C6 and sold it due to the color quality of the stills (and movies). The auto white balance just didn't work very well. I sold the C6. I saw and used the HD-1 at CES, but could not check how well the auto white balance worked due to only bright high bay lighting available in the exhibit hall.
chanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:22 PM   #3

I will do it over the weekend.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:25 PM   #4

I added three more pictures, the camera was set to incandescent light. I do not have florescent light in my house, so that has to wait.

Three more after that first batch. #0034 WB the florescent (one of those screw in bulb replacement, maybe not a true florescent) the other two, the WB was set to incandescent.

Like I said, I have to get familiar the camera yet to get great picture the first time.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing Egmont.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:17 PM   #6

Thanks for the posts Egmont. I believe the HD-1 suffers the same issues as the C6. Your 034 is extremely brown shooting flourescent light. The others look better but you said the cam was set to incandescent. If you shoot all the pics in Auto, you will probably get a less than desirable result. Plus, if you have to use the flash in incancescnt mode the picture will be bluish due to the color temp of the flash.

With everyones focus on the movie quality of these combo cams, I don't believe they are paying attention to the still color quality from a point and shoot standpoint. At $700+, the color quality/accuracy of the still shot inauto mode, for all types of lighting, should be at least equal to a garden variety Canon. And it'snot.

The color problem spills over to the movie side as well.

Before claiming the above to be the case. I would like to see some incandescent lit shots (reasonably lit)without flash in Auto WBmode.

Thanks for goin the extra mile on this!
chanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:30 AM   #7

I agree with your statement regarding the quality of indoor pictures, but I knew that before I got the camera. My cameras of choice are still my Nikon's D200 and D2h.

Having said that, I still love this HD-1 for niche I know it will fill, mainly an outdoor camera for my wife to use (she has to learn this camera yet:roll. I want to use on our next trip to Italy, like filming whileI drive.

Yesterday, at a local indoor play land for kids, my grandson had his fourth birthday party and I only took the HD-1 (my son had his Nikon D100). I took lots of pictures and about eight minutes of standard video.

The place was lit with florescent lights and I left all camera setting in automatic. I just added some of those pictures.

Now I just have to find a way to post some video's.

I also will post some incandescent light pictures later today (when it gets dark here:idea

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:20 AM   #8

Hi Egmont !

Can you please add some incandescent light MOVIES as well ? Many people hope that HD1 is equal or better than C6, and not as bad as C5 (my cam ) C5 is crap.

Please try filming indoor with normal evening incandescent light and dark outside.

Best regards
Kjetil, Norway
kjbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:21 PM   #9

I will, just got to find a place to post them.:?