Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1

http://www.sanyodigital.com/HD1/where_to_buy.html

Has been updated. It is current as of today.

Amazon, J&R, B&H, Apple, Circuit City, Online Access all have inventory as of today.
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2006, 9:42 PM   #2

Maybe circuit city has inventory of it but you still can't buy it there yet. It says not available in stores and you can't buy it online. Do you know when I will be able to actually see one in a Circuit City store?
mpgxsvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:24 PM   #3

In store at Circuit, probably not. They will be putting the Xacti C6 in store in April, but they can not get enough HD1's to put it in store. Demand is too high. Fry's Electronics in the West and South (32 stores) will have it in store in early April.Some of thePROMASTER camera dealers will have it in store.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:08 PM   #4

I received my HD1 from www.dvnation.com/hd1.html on Friday. I really like it. I set it on a tripod and recorded a tennis match by placing the cam off to the side of the net, pointing toward one side of the court. I was thrilled with the result. I played it back on my 123" screen using a Toshiba projector. I wasn't even in the highest quality HD mode and it looked great. Subtle details jump out at you that you just don't see with any SD camcorder out there. Like the where the paint scheme of the racquets change around the head of the racquet. Even recording the fast motion of the tennis ball was surprisingly good. I also used it in an indoor warehouse setting with flourescent lighting and it looked great! Stereo sound is also good. I'm using a 2GB SD card but have ordered a couple of 4GB cards to see if they will work too. I didn't not have to load any software on my computer for playback. It just works. You copy the files off the card. The OLED screen is truely gorgeous. Service from dvnation.com was instant. Highly recommended! If ya'll have any questions about my experience with the cam, let me know.
eguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:52 PM   #5

My only quesiton is when are you going to post some samples so all of us can see how good this camera is?

eguy wrote:
Quote:
I received my HD1 from http://www.dvnation.com/hd1.html on Friday. I really like it. I set it on a tripod and recorded a tennis match by placing the cam off to the side of the net, pointing toward one side of the court. I was thrilled with the result. I played it back on my 123" screen using a Toshiba projector. I wasn't even in the highest quality HD mode and it looked great. Subtle details jump out at you that you just don't see with any SD camcorder out there. Like the where the paint scheme of the racquets change around the head of the racquet. Even recording the fast motion of the tennis ball was surprisingly good. I also used it in an indoor warehouse setting with flourescent lighting and it looked great! Stereo sound is also good. I'm using a 2GB SD card but have ordered a couple of 4GB cards to see if they will work too. I didn't not have to load any software on my computer for playback. It just works. You copy the files off the card. The OLED screen is truely gorgeous. Service from dvnation.com was instant. Highly recommended! If ya'll have any questions about my experience with the cam, let me know.
mpgxsvcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 8:54 PM   #6

Sanyo -- If you have not done so, may I suggest that you look in on the forums at dvinfo.net? There are ten or more threads devoted to the Sanyo HD1, with tens of thousands of hits. Many of the members are independent film makers who are taking the camera very seriously. There are also a number of questions that could be quickly resolved by someone with detailed knowledge. I certainly appreciate your participation in this forum. Thanks.
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:32 AM   #7

Sanyo, what do you make of the 'jaggies' problem that many at dvinfo.net have discovered with the camera?

byrnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 2:20 PM   #8

Engineers are looking into the "jaggies" claims that have been mentioned.Most usershave commented that it was not "apparent" to them and would require them to blow up the framecaptures to see it. Overall, the satisfaction seems to be very high with the camera. I believe that the extremely positive response that has been seen is invigorating the engineers to continue to push the envelope forward looking for and developing newer ASIC chips that can process this extreme amount of data faster and cleaner. I am also pushing third-party software companies to jump on the train and recognize the need fornewer software solutions for MPEG-4. The demand generated by this product shows that the customers are out there - ready and waiting for HD.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 3:38 PM   #9

Hi there Sanyo!

I just registered here and have been reading this forum for quite a while. I bought the C1 at Sears when it came out a few years ago. I sold the C1 then got the C5 at Sharper Image last year and now the Hd-1 fromHong Kong. I also have owned Nikon coolpix 5000 and 5700 cameras and sold those to help pay for my D70 and D2X. I have also owned a pro-sumer class JVC camcorder when I had my small photo business a few years ago so I am quite familiar with digital camera capabilities and limitations.

I just wanted to say that I think the HD-1 is a "paradigm breaker" for the digital camera market and as my electrical engineering background tells me, this type of device is the way of the future for imaging.

I hope Sanyo continues to develop this class of device as other small players are also doing (see the RED camera in DVforums, a large multi-megapixel video camera being independantly developed).

I think there is an entrenched paradigm for cameras with flipping mirrors in both the user and vendor community that will take some time to change.

With film out of the equation, the architecture of this type of camera makes more sense for both hi-res stills and video imagery. The "big players" don't seem to want to develop this type of device.

Soo pass on the kudos to your design team from a fellow engineer and camera buff!

regards

rich

richiedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:19 PM   #10

FRY's Electronics was shipped on Friday. Most California stores will receive HD1 (in-store) on Monday or Tuesday while the out of state stores later in the week. If you are interested in seeing one in-person, check out one of the Fry's stores. If they don't have one on display, ask them to look up if it is in stock and, if it is, put one on display.

They also have the Xacti C40 in stock today at all Fry's locations.

Fry's locations listed here: http://www.frys.com/localframe.html