Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1
moi

I'm thinking of buying one of these two units, a step up from the cheapo Aiptek mini camcorder I have now, and from the very poor video capability of my still digital camera, and even worse capability of my camera phone. (I know I could get much better quality still by purchasing a mini-DV camcorder, for less money than the C6, but I like the very small size and convenience of these micro-cams.)

I found some heavily discounted prices on the web for both of the cams mentioned in the subject title, but a much lower price for the Samsung than for the Sanyo. I think the Samsung SC-M105S is basically the exact same camera as the more publicized SC-X105L, just missing the external lens (helmet cam) of the latter. (Just the one piece camera, in other words.)

Has anyone tried both of these cams (Samsung and Sanyo), and could compare them, in terms of video quality and sound? (I'm not really much interested in the still picture quality. I think I'll continue using my present still digicam for that.) Are there any comparative reviews out there?

A couple advantages of the Samsung--10x optical zoom, vs. 5x on the Sanyo. Smaller in length. And as I mentioned, I found it sold (new) at a much lower price than the Sanyo.

I'm not sure if the video quality of the Samsung is as good as the Sanyo, however, and I don't think the former has stereo sound, as the latter does. (It might though, I'm not sure.) Also, not a big issue, but I prefer the SD card format of the Sanyo (already having some SD cards) than the memory stick format used by the Samsungs. (That's not very important to me though.)

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has tried both, and could compare them.

One other I've considered is the Panasonic SV-AV100. Actually, that is much more expensive new than the others, and I wouldn't consider paying that much. But I've seen some used ones on Ebay for OK prices. That's always a risk though, buying used electronics from Ebay. (On the contrary, the discounted prices I found for the Sanyo and Samsung were for new items, full manufacturer's warranty, etc.)

I would be interested in hearing comparisons of the mentioned Sanyo and Samsung cams, and perhaps the Panasonic as well.

Thank you for your input! :-)

moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:24 AM   #2

what's the point of comparing 0.8M cam to 6M cam?

from what I've read on web samsung cameras produce very noisy video.

check these two samples

2.72Mb

http://www.mobile-review.com/mp3/rev...10/photo/2.avi

4.98Mb

http://www.mobile-review.com/mp3/rev...10/photo/3.avi
ptiz_govorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:34 PM   #3
moi

ptiz_govorun wrote:
Quote:
what's the point of comparing 0.8M cam to 6M cam?"
What's the point of comparing two pocket-sized memory card mp4 micro-cams? Of course one might want to compare the two, as well as others in that category.

I don't really think a megapixel count is the main issue in considering video quality. (And I think that count refers more to still photo optics than video.) For instance, I'm now considering two other cams besides these two mentioned--the Panasonic SV-AV100, and the JVC Everio MC100. I think both of these two also have a much lower stated megapixel count han the Sanyo, but from what I read, both have much higher video quality, DVD quality MPEG2, in fact. So, you cannot judge video quality by megapixels. (And frankly, I wouldn't chose any of these four models primarily as a still photo camera.)

That said, I agree, from what I've read, that the Samsung probably has lower video quality than the Sanyo. It has a couple advantages however. For one, a 10x optical zoom, where the Sanyo only has 5. Still smaller than the already small Sanyo. And something else in its favor--I've seen it for sale for $209 new! That is much cheaper than one could get the Sanyo for used! Yes, if the two were the same price I'd go for the Sanyo, but the much lower Samsung price I've seen is a factor in considering it.

I'll look at the samples you pointed to. Thank you.

Have you (ptiz__...) actually used either or both of these cameras?
moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2006, 2:44 PM   #4

Although you are right that for video you normally do not need to go as high as 6Mp, the Sanyo C6 does use them in a very valuable way for Video. It averages a 3x3 pixel array (9 pixels) from the 6Mp to create 1 video pixel. This pixel averaging technology provides two major advantages over other camcorders, it makes for a better antialiasing of the Video (higher image quality), and most importantly, it provides superior low light capabilities (compensating for the weakness of the lens on these very small camcorder), you can still get a perfectly usable video in low light condition, when other camcorders will only give you black.

If the Still images coming out of the Sanyo C6 are not quite as good as still images from dedicated 6Mp cameras, they are pretty good, and because they are 6 Mp, you would actually not see the difference in photo prints.

One other thing to keep in mind on the Mpeg2 camcorders, is that Mpeg2 suffers from block pixels on fast moving images, problem that you do not get with the Sanyo C6 Mpeg4. If you look at all the Video samples available on the Web, (not the one provided by the manufacturers), you will find some with fast panning, or moving subject, where big blocks of pixels start to appear in the action.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5

moi,

C6 owner actually. Ask any questions.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 2:38 PM   #6

hi, I am considering a C6. Are use satisfied with the cam, I have read lots of pros, what cons have you run into? The SD cards (512) seem to range from $25 to $80.00, does it need a special SD card? How about the software, were you able to load into PC and edit and burn DVD that will work in other DVD players? Have you heard or had a problems related to dead pixels. Thanks for any help you can provide. Ed
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 4:29 AM   #7

I ran into small number of issues till time

1. whitebalance is not idiot free (mentioned here) if you set wite balance to incadescent and shoot with a flash you'll get blue coloured foto. My old Sony S75 forces white balance when shooting with a flash

2. impossible to trigger shutter or to start video recording with remote control. Some reported that it is possible to control C6 with HD1 remote which has shutter button.

My primary focus was compact videocam + photocam, so I'm very satisfied.

I own DivX capable dvd player so authoring dvd is not an issue for me, just convert mp4 container to avi and burn.

As previously reported C5 and C6 work with 50x, 60x, 66x and possibly 80x SD cards.

Dead pixels are definetely an issue for this cam, first time I went to the shop, there was only one cam left and with dead pixel. Next time was more lucky.

ISO sensivity seems ok, even at ISO 100 set manually camera is capable of capturing video in a room lit with 3 100 Watt incadescent lamps, however ISO 200 is doing it better.

Old Apr 20, 2006, 2:18 PM   #8

i agree with ptiz.. the samsung vp-m110 has very noisy video and the camera quality is v.poor...worse than my phone! however, the video is quite good, great zoom and it has a mp3 player. but atm i am trying to sell my m110 because of the noisy video and am looking to get a sanyo c6 or sony cybershot m2. not to sure which one though, anyone got any ideas on which one i should get?
pinknewtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 4:14 PM   #9
vrr

I just bought a Sony Cybet-Shot DSC M2. Though the closeup portrait photos look stunning, the flash is prettyweak andunder indoorsthe photos come out pretty grainy when zoomed a little bit. Same is the case withindoorvideos ... very grainy ...

I am considering returning it toget a Sanyo Xacti VPC-C6 ...I'll be shooting mostly indoors, and from the reviewsI've read, I guess that would be a better choice compared to Xacti HD1 ... but the problem is I just can't find a dealer who carries it in Dallas ...

vrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 6:44 PM   #10

This post may get removed for beinga "commercial post", but in response to "but the problem is I just can't find a dealer who carries it in Dallas", please consider:

Circuit City:

10400 North Central Expressway, Dallas, TX 75231

13838 Dallas Parkway, Dallas, TX 75240
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote