Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 22, 2006, 11:35 AM   #1

I have been trying to research what DVD players can play the mp4 files from the HD-1. The requirements I'm looking foris to have a player that has either component or hdmi outputs so the 720p signal is used in a hdtv.

My Samsung upscaling dvd player with hdmi output won't recognize the mp4 files. My pc can however and I have successfully connected it to my hdtv via hdmi and used VLC to play back at 720p and this looked pretty good..but isa "kludgey" solution. I'm looking for DVD players that can read the mp4 files and play them. It would be nice ifit would also upscale normal DVDs so I can use my Samsung DVD player elsewhere.

Soo, I'm now down to researching the chip sets in the players at this point...talk about early adopter blues!:-).

It seems the key chip set needed is the Sigma Designs EM8620L family. I've seen some reference here in other posts to an IO data player that someone said supports the mp4 output...but looking at their web site and the specs for that player, it does not mention mpeg4 in any regard.

What options has anyone tried or verified other than playback from the camera? The player would also have to support an edited 720p output too.

Rich
richiedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:06 PM   #2

I guess your high definition DVD player must also be "DIVX certified". Read this (choose "High Definition Profile" and click <View> )

http://www.divx.com/company/partner/theater.php

divx.com does list all the manufacturers that are DIVX-certified, but unforunately they do not mention what models are "high definition" certified.

To make it "DIVX-certified", see my other recent reply:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3

thanks for the link!

But I don't know if Dvix certified necessarily means it can play mp4 or even the mp4 specific to the HD-1 in 720p or even in 640x480. Case in point, I bought the Neuros SD card mpeg4 recorder/player, neat little device that essentially is a mini vcr that records mpeg 4 standard definition to an SD card. I can then load the card in my Ipaq and watch whatever it was I recorded later. But this device doesn't recognize the files from my Sanyo C5.

My guess is it impliments some other version of mpeg4 and it is incompatible. So choosing a DVD player that is Divx certified, has component or hdmi outputs and the chip set that is known to support mpeg4 is probablya goodbet...but still they have to have written the firmware to enable that feature.

There are some mentions of some players in herereported to playthe hd-1 files but I was just trying to find someone who actually has one that works and what the model number is.

thanks

Rich
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:34 AM   #4

You probably just have to convert your .mp4 file to .avi (divx) file. For that use http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/ Note that this is very fast and lossless conversion - you are actually not *converting* anything but only replacing the quicktime's .mp4 container with .avi container. The mp4 and divx formats are essentially the same, at least most divx/xvid codecs are able to decode both. Therefore your divx-ready DVD player should also.
Ulkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 3:08 AM   #5

Although a DivX HD certified player is likely play the video okay, all bets are off on the audio (AAC). AAC is not part of DivX certification. You may want to look for a Nero Digital certified player as AAC is part of the Nero (mp4) standard.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 4:16 PM   #6

:roll:

mp4cam2avi is NOT available for the HD-1, so this won't work.

I am interested in ANY DVD player that can play Sanyo HD-1 mp4 files..........not general descriptions like get a Divx player..........but specifics............make, model that a forum member actually used ( ie 'I used a "Fake DER-345 DVD player" and it worked great with the HD-1 mp4 files' [this is really fake!] )

I have NOT yet gotten a mp4 player that works well on any of my computers...............how powerful a CPU do you need??

jbat:lol:
jbat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 12:40 PM   #7

Hi,

thanks for all the feedback. As an update/recommendation, I ended up getting an Apple mac mini duo for my playback/archiving/editing solution. With all of the capabilities rolled into it, it was a good overall value.

rich
Old May 10, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8

RE: MP4CAM2AVI for HD-1 MP4

The author is aware of the new HD-1 high screen resolution, and there IS a beta (pre-release) version of the program for HD-1:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=554254

(This is a link on the sourceforge page under "Latest News")

As Calinb said: I don't think any DVD player can recognize and play the AAC audio used in the Xacti's MP4 format - you definitely need the MP4CAM2AVI to convert the audio to MP3, which is compliant with Divx audio.

RE: "mpeg4 players"

Note that MPEG4 is a whole family of video formats, which include Divx AVI and QuickTime MP4 amongst many other. However, I believe that most standalone "mpeg4 players" sold at the moment can play Divx AVI, which is the most popular and widely marketed MPEG4 video format right now (Windows Media WMV is number two I think). I am yet to see any standalone player that state that they play "MP4" files (odd players do play this file format, but they are only accidentally discovered by the owners).

Converting to Divx AVI will most likely make the video format compliant with the player. However, there is no guarantee that it can play High Definition (high screen resolution), which is higher than the standard DVD screen resolution, because HD DVD etc. is a new thing.
Old May 14, 2006, 11:33 AM   #9

blindsight.......

Ur link directs me to a Russian site...............is this correct???

jbat2:roll:
jbat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 12:00 AM   #10

jbat:

The sourceforge link is correct, I just checked it. Sourceforge is THE open source program developer's website, there should be no spam link of redirects.

BS