Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:40 PM   #21

Is anyone else willing to reveal their method of getting their stuff from Sanyo camcorder to dvd and the best method of preserving the quality of their movies?
The Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:07 AM   #22

Hi Guys,

I recently returned from 7 weeks in remote places of India where my C6 wasmy only camera. I ended up with about 5gb of tv-SHQ clipsand over 300 6m-H stills (after deletingscores of unwanted). I am absolutly wrapped with the camera.

Negatives; 1/ its ability in a room lit by a candle or huricane lamp.2/ I'dlove a little more optical zoom. 3/ I often used manual focus and then forgot to reset it.

I have downladed 3ivx d4 decoder so I can watch my videos directly on my PC using Windows Media Player.I used the bundled software to produce a one hour compilationDVD of videos and slide shows for the extended family. Adding text,background music,editing video clips etc worked fine though the program hung if I jumped around from one function to another too fast. (need more ram?) Save regularly!

Ulead DVD Movie Factoryseems fine except I havn't worked out how to join videos clips yet without just making seperate chapters and letting them play one after the other thatand my effort with text looked alittle crude in spots. I haven't used a "real" video editing program before so am ignorant of what I'mmissing out on.I don't do any convertingformats at all, just let Ulead do it's thing.

Is there a way of reducing the resolution of a .jpg so I can email it?

One problem I did have was that on the home DVD player, the time photos displayed in a slide show were sometimes too short even though they displayed correctly when I play the DVD on my PC.

Overallthe camera is great.It's fewlimitations are overwhelmed by it's convienience.It lived on my belt.

Extras I bought; second battery, 12v/110-240v travel charger, Lowepro (D-Res 8S) camera bag just right for camera and spare battery.

Ken
Kendb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:11 AM   #23

BOY, I WAS ALREADY TO PURCHASE THE SANYO C6, UNTIL I READ ALL THIS STUFF ABOUT CONVERTING.... AND NOW I AM MORE CONFUSED THAN BEFORE. LIKE OTHERS I DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALL THESE DIFFERENT FILES, CONVERT TO THIS CONVERT TO THAT, PLUS I DON'T HAVE HOURS TO SPEND ON IT. HAS ANYONE WORKED WITH A STORE PURCHASED SOFTWARE THAT IS A,B,C EASY TO CONVERT AND BURN A DVD THAT WILL PLAY IN ANY DVD PLAYER WITHOUT GOING CRAZY.... OR IT THIS NOT POSSIBLE YET. THANKS FOR ANYONES HELP!
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 3:27 PM   #24

Fast eddie, if you have a movie editing software that supports MP4 files, which more and more do, then it's dead easy. Otherwise it's still very easy to transfer the files to an .AVI container using MP4Cam2AVI and do your video editing with any software. If you have a Mac,OSX and iMoviesupport MP4 natively so it's dead easy to edit and works quite well. (However note thatQuicktime for Windows is dead slow and it basically sucks!)

Bottom line, if you know nothing about digital video on a PC, or your PC is underpowered, then maybe this camera is not for you. MP4 is simply a relatively new format, but it's a real industry standard, and like JPEG, which hadsparse support in the early years, expect it to become mainstream in the near future.

Manyseem to be under the impression that if Microsoft Windows does not support a format out of the box, then it's a difficult format. Remember that Windows XP is getting old and that Microsoft is only interested in pushing it's Windows Media (WMV/A) proprietaryformat rather than support industry wide standards. Millions of people are using Xvid/Divx and now MP4 with thrid party and/or free software, it's not rocket science just because support didn't ship with Windows.

Edit: oh, and I just got a C6 and it's great. Everything is much better than I expected, excellent video, both indoor and out. I tried panning slow and quick and super-fast and it never stutters or gets "jerky", just blurry when super-fast, so I don't know what the others are talking about (DIS was off).Thestills are great too, outdoors they are amazing.Only annoyances are what has been declared in these forums: flash is weak, red-eye prone (flash close to lens because of size) and the zoom and focus noise is audible in quiet environments. But it has so many features and settings that can deal with most situations, including these. (Like a quick tap up of the joystick locks/unlocks the auto focus, thus eliminating thesearching noise, manual focus avail. as well.) I don't think they can make a smaller video camera.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:16 PM   #25

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME IN DETAIL TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS. I DO HAVE XP, 1 GB MACHINE, SO I THINK IT CAN HANDLE THE JOB. CAN YOU SUGGEST ANY SOFTWARE TITLE YOU ARE USING TO EDIT AND BURN DVD FROM THE MP4 FORMAT. ALSO, TALKING ABOUT STILLS, I HAVE A DIGITAL STILL CAMERA, AND WHAT DRIVES ME CRAZY IS THE TIME BETWEEN SEE WHAT I WANT TO TAKE THE THE TIME THAT PASSES BEFORE IT TAKES THE PICTURE (THE CHILD OR ANIMAL) ALL READY MOVED. I KNOW THIS IS A ALL IN ONE CAMERA, BUT HAVE YOU NOTICED IT BEING QUICKER AND GETTING THE SHOT YOU WANT, OR IT JUST MOVES ON BY. THANKS ED
Old Apr 1, 2006, 5:37 PM   #26

I WAS JUST READING ABOUT SONYIS DVDIRECT STANDALONE DVD RECORDER, TO EDIT AND BURN DVD'S. COMES BUNDLED WITH SONY'S NERO SOFTWARE SUITE BURNING SOFTWARE. IT SAYS IT ALLOWS YOU TO RECORD U TO FOUR HOURS OF MPEG-2 VIDEO (AT 4.7 Mbps AND UP TO 8.5gb OF DATA ONTO A SINGLE SIDED DOUBLE LAYER DISC. WITH THIS INFORMATION, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS UNIT, AND IF SO WOULD IT BE COMPATIBLE WITH THE SANYO C6 CAMERA? THANKS
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:29 AM   #27

kendb:

I haven't played with the Ulead Movie Factory very much so I don't know for sure if it can join video clips (but I suspect it can). However, if you are still running into problems you can use MP4CAM2AVI - it has a video clip joining function also. MP4CAM2AVI re-package the MP4 to AVI (Divx/ Xvid). Divx/Xvid is a more popular codec supported by most video editing softwares (as long as the codec has been installed), including the Ulead MF. Therefore you can open the re-packaged (and joined) video in MF and do your editing.

Caelum:

Congrad on your new C6, enjoy!!

Fast Eddie:

In theory it will work - you can hook up any video sources (cable, satellite, VCR, miniDV camcorder, your Sanyo) to a DVD or any other forms of stand-alone recorders. There are the "however"s that I am going to explain below.

I don't have a hardware DVD recorder but I looked at the specification sheet of a RDRHX715 recorder (I presume the information I need is quite similar in other models and manufacturers).

The recorder has "standard" video inputs (eg. RCA jack AV, S-video, component video, RF (TV coaxial)), plus iLink (aka. Firewire, IEEE1394 - same digital video link for miniDV camcorders).

These stand-alone recorders do not have USB connection that allows the actual video file to be transferred to the unit, before the conversion is performed. These recorders only allows real-time "on-the-fly" (ie. only as the video is being played) recording.

The Sanyo does not have iLink or firewire connection, therefore it cannot transfer __digital__ video signal to the recorder. However, you can still hook the Xacti up to the DVD recorder by the AV cable (with red and white and yellow plugs - the same cable you use to hook it up to play video or pictures on the TV).

However, these "standard" video inputs allow transmission of __analog__ signal into the recorder. The catch now is (1) the video transmitted is no longer of the original quality recorded by the Xacti - the Xacti has converted the signal from digital (of the MP4 file) to analog (2) the quality of the video signal being fed into the DVD recorder now relies on the quality of the digital-to-analog converter (see (1)) of the Xacti.

To see how good the video looks through this analog connection, the only way (which is not a precise method) is to play the video on the TV using the AV cable hookup. I have a standard (non-high definiton, non-plasma, non-LCD etc.) TV and it looks good (but not as good as on the PC). I don't know what it would look like on a high-definition TV, so you should try it. Because the analog signal has to be converted yet again to DVD by the recorder, there may be further deterioration of the original quality.

If you are not computer savvy: yes, a stand-alone DVD recorder is an easy(ier) solution (but I read from reviews of customers who bought these DVD recorders saying that it is as complicated to go through all the steps to make a DVD on a stand-alone as on the computer - plus it may be worse because you don't have a keyboard to do the navigation!). However, I cannot guarantee the quality of the final DVD.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:44 AM   #28

Fast Eddie again:

RE: "TIME THAT PASSES BEFORE IT TAKES THE PICTURE (THE CHILD OR ANIMAL) ALL READY MOVED"

This type of general problem has been posted many times elsewhere in the non-manufacturer (like "Newbies help") sections. This is what is called "shutter lag" - the most common cause is the delay with the camera's autofocus.

The quick fixes -

(1) half-pressing the shutter release button and most cameras will pre-focus and pre-calculate exposure of the frame. When you see your kids or your pet starting to move, keep the shutter button half-pressed to do the above, and track the movement of your subject and shoot. This is not the exact focus and exposure but it will work pretty well as long as the subject has not moved too close or far away (distance) or to a completely different place (exposure).

(2) use "burst mode" (most cameras have this function) - this takes a short sequence of pictures when you are pressing (fully) on the shutter button, anything from 2 frames per second to faster. This gives you a better chance of "capturing the moment". You can also "anticipate" the action of your subject and start taking pictures with burst mode before the desired frame (digital pictures are cheap!). You have to read the user maual to see how you can set this up in your own camera.

(3) Most point-&-shoot cameras have "sport mode" - this allows higher shutter speeds to be used. If your camera is more advanced, there may be some form of manual control - go to "shutter priority" and set the shutter speed to 1/250 or higher (level of light allowed).

(4) You can also setto a highersensitivity (ISO) setting - I think this is about ISO 400 formost point-&-shoot cameras. This forces the camera to use higher shutter speeds (aperture settings are usually more limited in P&S cameras). However, there will be penalty in terms of poorer picture quality (graininess).

Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:51 AM   #29

THANKS FOR THE REPLY, BUT LOOKING AT THE SPECS ON THE SONY UNIT IT SAYS: CONNECT THE DV/DIRECT TO YOUR PC VIA HIGH SEED USB, I DON'T HAVE THE C6, BUT I THOUGHT IT HAD A USB PORT OUT OF IT? IF SO, AND THE SONY HAS A USB DOES THAT CHANGE THINGS?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 9:54 AM   #30

Fast Eddie:

Hmmm, I must be lookin at an older model. Do you have the model number of the Sony recorder that I can look up on the net and see if there is more techical info?

If the unit has USB hookup there is a good chance it will transfer the video file before conversion (therefore no problem with digital-to-analog and loss of quality). If this is the case, the question now is - does the Sony support MP4 files?