Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:30 AM   #31

IT IS THE DVDIRECT VRDVC20 DVD STANDALONE DVD RECORDER.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, IT IS REALLY NICE TO FIND SOMEONE INTERESTED (WITH WITH KNOWLEGE), TO HELP OTHERS THAT DON'T HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE IN A SUBJECT AND DON'T WANT TO SPEND MONEY AND BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE RESULTS. I LOVE THE IDEA OF THIS SMALL CAMERA, AND IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CAMERA ITSELF WILL DO A FINE JOBFILMING FAMILY VACATIONS, ETC., BUT HOW TO GET IT TO PLAY ON DVD WITHOUT LOTS OF FAILURES MAY BE THE DOWNFALL. I STARTED OFF THINKING OF BUYING A RECORD TO MINI DVD DISK AND POP INTO DVD PLAYER, BUT THEN I WANTED SOMETHING REAL SMALL TO CARRY.

WHAT DO YOU THINK, IS THAT REALLY A BETTER WAY TO GO, AND IF SO ARE THERE PROBLEMS WITH THAT FORMAT ALSO? IF I WAS FORCED TO GO IN THIS DIRECTION, OR EVEN, THE HARD DRIVE IN A CAMCORDER DIRECTION, DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE CHOOSE ONE MODEL AND BRAND OVER ANOTHER.

AGAIN, IF I THOUGHT I COULD GET AROUND THE TRANSFERRING PROBLEMS THAT THE MP4 FORMAT MAY CAUSE, THAT WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE, I THINK? THANKS ED

FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:30 AM   #32

IT IS THE DVDIRECT VRDVC20 DVD STANDALONE DVD RECORDER.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, IT IS REALLY NICE TO FIND SOMEONE INTERESTED (WITH WITH KNOWLEGE), TO HELP OTHERS THAT DON'T HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE IN A SUBJECT AND DON'T WANT TO SPEND MONEY AND BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE RESULTS. I LOVE THE IDEA OF THIS SMALL CAMERA, AND IT SOUNDS LIKE THE CAMERA ITSELF WILL DO A FINE JOBFILMING FAMILY VACATIONS, ETC., BUT HOW TO GET IT TO PLAY ON DVD WITHOUT LOTS OF FAILURES MAY BE THE DOWNFALL. I STARTED OFF THINKING OF BUYING A RECORD TO MINI DVD DISK AND POP INTO DVD PLAYER, BUT THEN I WANTED SOMETHING REAL SMALL TO CARRY.

WHAT DO YOU THINK, IS THAT REALLY A BETTER WAY TO GO, AND IF SO ARE THERE PROBLEMS WITH THAT FORMAT ALSO? IF I WAS FORCED TO GO IN THIS DIRECTION, OR EVEN, THE HARD DRIVE IN A CAMCORDER DIRECTION, DO YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE CHOOSE ONE MODEL AND BRAND OVER ANOTHER.

AGAIN, IF I THOUGHT I COULD GET AROUND THE TRANSFERRING PROBLEMS THAT THE MP4 FORMAT MAY CAUSE, THAT WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOICE, I THINK? THANKS ED

Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:12 PM   #33

Thanks Blindsight, I'll try MP4CAM2AVI.

Ken
Kendb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:42 PM   #34

Hey Fast Eddie:

I downloaded a user manual of the Sony VRDVC20 DVD recorder and read through it quickly. When the recorder is connected to the computer by USB, it can still record DVD. But it is no longer a stand-alone recorder and it is acting no differently from any computer DVD player/ writer. This is where the Nero DVD burning software comes in because the DVD recorder is no longer using its own hardware to do the recording.

Otherwise, this stand-alone DVD recorder is no different from the other recorder I picked from the web, in terms of video input - the bottomline is, you can record from the Xacti but not in the truest form of original digital video quality, because the video signal is fed into the recorder by analog cables.

I am not saying that the quality of the DVD is definitely worse than what started off in the camera - in fact, to start off with, the video quality of the Xacti C6 is no better than standard (non-high definition) TV resolution and certainly no better than the average tape digital camcorders. For my personal opinion, I would probably NOT burn the video in DVD format but in SVCD or VCD formats (more digital video jargons I won't go into) which have lower screen resolutions.

The C6 comes with Ulead Movie Factory which supports MP4 video files of the Sanyo. Functionally it is a complete video editing, converting and burning (to DVD, VCD etc) software, which is free with the purchase of the Xacti. Some people report difficulties with this program but some find it a breeze. As Caelum said, there may be more problems if your computer does not have a fast enough processor and enough RAM - how much ? I don't know - I guess probably 1 GHz processor and 512 MB of RAM (256 is barely enough to run Windows XP). Otherwise, the Ulead program included with the Sanyo should do the trick. And yes, you do need to spend some time (a lot of time if you are not computer savvy) learning about digital video editing, to make the most out of MPEG-4 videos.

I guess if you really want to completely avoid using the computer to make home video DVDs, the DVD camcorders are probably the way to go. However, that would be WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get), little or no editing is possible because you are playing the DVD that is recorded directly from the camcorder.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:13 PM   #35

YOU REALLY WENT OVER AND BEYOND, THANKS AGAIN. IF I DO GO MINI DVD, DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS, BRAND, MODEL TO LOOK INTO? OF COURSE THE WHOLE BOTTOM LINE TO ME IS TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT AND BE ABLE TO PUT INTO A DVD PLAYER AND VIEW WITHOUT FINDING OUT IT ISN'T COMPATIBLE.

IF I STICK YOU THE C6, (I DON'T HAVE A DVD BURNER), ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ED
Old Apr 2, 2006, 11:36 PM   #36

Sorry Eddie: in fact I am not very much into camcorders and/or DVD, so I know nothing about the quality of these DVD camcorders. This website is a good start to do some research yourself:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Revie...evel_c=DVD.htm

They also have forums just like here at Steve's, where you can ask questions (require registration and username, free just like here).

I bought the C6 because of the "gadget" factor and the convenience of a true hybrid camera with decent video quality, over absolutely stunning video quality of a high-end digital camcorder.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:47 PM   #37

Hey Eddie:

This Panasonic SDRS100 has been mentioned and compared with the Sanyo Xacti C6/ HD1.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

Advantage:

(1) Records to MPEG-2 format compatible with DVD, ie. no need to transcode from, say, MPEG-4 to DVD format before burning to a DVD.

(2) Superior optics - Leica lens, 47 - 470 mm 10X zoom.

(3) (Probably) superior video quality because of better lens; the highest quality setting is comparable to DVD bitrate and is probably superior in quality to the C6's highest quality setting of MPEG-4 bitrate - NOTE: the bitrate numbers between MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are __NOT__ directly comparable (ie. MPEG-2 at 5 Mbps is NOT definitely better than MPEG-4 at 3 Mbps), because these are different codecs.

Disadvantage:

(1) Price (around US$850 - well not much more expensive than the HD-1)

(2) Only takes 3 MP still pictures (well it is designed to be a camcorder with still pciture mode afterall)

(3) Video size is about 2.5 X that of the Sanyo's MP4 (MPEG-4) format - 2 GB stores about 25 min of video at highest setting (about 10 Mbps bitrate, comparable to commercial movie DVD quality), or about 50 min at standard setting (about 5 Mbps bitrate). Some user said the standard setting is OK for average home movies, as long as there is no too much movement. One more good thing: a 2 GB SD card is included with the camcorder, but 2 GB cards are still rather expensive. Price of SD cards will come down eventually.

(4) Similar shape as the Xacti C series and HD1, but larger and thicker.

Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:53 PM   #38

THANKS FOR INFO, BUT I THINK TH $800 RANGE IS TOO PRICY FOR THIS KIND OF CAMERA.... I DON'T REALLY NEED TO GET ANYTHING UNTIL LATER PART OF THE SUMMER, SO MAYBE I'LL WAIT AND SEE IF ANYTHING ELSE HITS THE MARKET
Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:54 PM   #39

THANKS FOR ANYOTHER SOUCE
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:41 AM   #40

Try WinAVI Video Converter. It convert MP4 files directly to the standard DVD folderstructure then you can burn it to a DVD disk. It is not freeware but I think that is no problem at all for you guys. Maybe it needs some extra codecs, I had installed MPC(Media Player Classic), VLC, ... on my computer before I installed this software.
meltice is offline   Reply With Quote