Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:59 PM   #51

The Inspector,

I use the Ulead products for a years and I think your can't find any others with such level of simplicity. By the way, Ulead's products have 30 day full capacity evaluation, so you can try and decide later should or shouldn't you spend $50.

And the only part UVStudio you really don't need is DV-to-DVD, 2 others are exactly what you need. Believe me it's very-very easy to use not mention that you don't need mp4cam2avi midlleware.

If I find anything easier I'll let community know.

I feel that next release NERO Vision 4 should have such functionality too.

FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:13 PM   #52

Folks,

just found this article:Video Editing Software Review
http://video-editing-software-review...reng=1&ttr
key=video+editing+software

take a lok and make your choice.

Old Apr 11, 2006, 5:22 PM   #53

Thanks for that. But looking at it, the only software packages that mention MPEG-4 are Power Director and Pinnacle. Ulead Video Studio is not ticked. What does that mean? And how come you can use it for the C6?

Yours Very Confused,

The Inspector...
The Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:25 AM   #54

The Inspector,

Take a look here:

http://www.ulead.com/tech/vs/vs_ftp.htm

Almost all UVS 9 patches have parts for MPEG 4 improvment.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:39 AM   #55

Thanks FKZAP.
All those patches! (Which can't be uninstalled).Why don't they just sell something that works out of the box.
I say again, we should not have to go to all this trouble.
I bought a C6 thinking it was the best thing for me. The thing looks great, works reasonably well and fits in my shirt pocket.
I'm off on holiday shortly. I only want to record some memories FFS - not make a full-length Oscar-winning feature film.
I think it is incumbent on Sanyo to issue decent software with it so that customers can simply shoot the video, use the software provided and make a decent dvd instead of having to go to these lengths of having to download codecs and convert to this and that. I am sure that scores of people are reading this and thinking the C6 is too much hassle.
Has anyone else found a simple way to do a decent DVD with the C6?

PS: I notice Mr Sanyo has still not replied to these comments.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:23 PM   #56

The Inspector, it's been mentionned many times on this forum to simply transfer the .MP4 files to .AVI using MP4Cam2AVI. It's extremely fast, even when you convert the audio to PCM for editing, so you can't complain that it's a lengthy process. Then you can use any simple or complex video editing package available.I've triedWindows Movie Maker 2, which is free for Windows XPand it works fine with the MPEG-4 AVIs. Some people complain that Windows doesn't come with an MPEG-4 decoder, but it takes moments to install one, like the open source Xvid, then you never have to do that simple step again.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:07 PM   #57

The Inspector:

I wrote a short manual on how to convert MP4 files to DVD files (ready to burn - but you still need to have a DVD burning software to do this).

http://rapidshare.de/files/18093163/...o_dvd.zip.html

You need to have these three programs I mentioned before:

MP4CAM2AVI (freeware)

VirtualDub (if you want to do some minor trimming of the video) (freeware)

AVI2DVD (freeware)

I tested the whole process and it works well and fast. The steps involved in all three programs (especially with MP4CAM2AVI and AVI2DVD) are very simple. If you don't want to know how these programs work, just follow the manual, keystroke by keystroke, and it will take you there.

The longest time it takes is to convert the AVI to DVD by AVI2DVD, but it is to be expected (because this is where the major transcoding occurs). This form of digital video conversion is faster than making DVDs from miniDV camcorder tapes - because miniDV video transcoding is real-time (ie. a one-hour tape will take one hour (or more) to convert, because the tape is being played at normal speed for one hour).

I burnt a short clip onto DVD and find that there is no obvious loss of video quality on my standard TV (I don't know how it looks on big screen TV). Notice the original video resolution (640 X 480 pixels) of the MP4 will be "stretched out" to fit the DVD format (720 X 480), so there will be some distortion and slight blurring.

This manual describes the simpliest procedures to make DVD files from MP4 - it does not include how-tos on advance editing (eg. adding music, subtitles, scene transition etc.). It also does not describe addition of advance DVD functions (subtitles, chapters, menus). The most basic forms of video editing, namely, clip joining and trimming, are included. These are the same level of editing we can do since the days of 8 mm home movies.

My manual does not include the step-by-step guide for DVD burning - it is up to you to figure this out, because we use different programs to burn DVDs. However, most DVD burning softwares have wizards that takes you through all the steps, just like what my manual does. It should not be difficult.

I agree to some extent that modern all-in-one video softwares that do video conversion, multimedia editing, disk burning etc. are too complicated for the average user's taste, plus these programs may be too big and complex, causing incompatibility problems. Although my solution involves three different programs - they are all small, simple and never cause any compatibility or computer hanging problems. I am afraid right now there is no simple AND comprehensive (all-in-one) solution, and all we can do is to continue learning and adapting!

Hope this works out for you, and good video hunting on your upcoming trip!

P.S.

I have also used Windows Movie Maker and agrees with Caelum that you can do all the editing there, but (1) my computer is probably too slow/ underpowered for WMM, so everything loads and moves slowly (2) I don't like the fact you have to save the video in Windows Media format afterwards, before converting to DVD - one more layer of transcoding means less original quality.

Also, I don't think mister sanyo will reply - he is more into offering "sales, supply and availability" information regarding Sanyo electronic consumer appliances in the United States, and I don't think he is too interested or "qualified" in providing technical support.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:25 AM   #58

Hi Blindsight,

It's really very good of you to go to all this trouble. I am sure it will help a lot of people.

I feel really awful saying this after what you have done but I think I will dump the C6 (or simply use it as an outdoor stills camera) as I think it is too much hassle for an amateur. You have two interesting quotes:

"These are the same level of editing we can do since the days of 8 mm home movies." and "There will be some distortion and slight blurring".

I was hoping for so much more than that from a modern piece of equipment. As I say, it is a brilliant piece of gadgetry but to get a good result from it without messing about is not what I want.

On reflection, I should just have got a dvd camcorder. Point. Press.Play. No blurring or distortion etc...
The C6 will suit the sort of person who is enthusiastic about learning about codecs and different formats. Most ordinary people just want the simple life.

I apologise once again for putting you to all this trouble but, as I say, I am sure that there are lots of readers of this forum who will avail themselves of your expert knowledge, so the effort is not wasted.

Thank you again.
:sad:

Old Apr 16, 2006, 8:42 AM   #59

HI, ANOTHDR WEEK OR SO HAS GONE BY.... HAVE YOU HAD FURTHER CHANCE USING THE C6 AND BURNING DVD's? .... IF SO, ANY FURTHER LIKES OR DISLIKES?
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2006, 3:41 PM   #60

Wellother thanwith a record-direct-to-DVD videocamera you're not going to get a dead simple video to DVD process. With a standard DV videocamera, you need to transfer the video to your PC using 1394 (Firewire) and it consumes approximately 1 GB of disk space per 5 minutes of video! Then you need to edit that massive amount of data and burn a DVD much like you need to with the C6.

And a record-to-DVD videocamera has many down sides as well,besides not producing the best quality video either. Like what about editing your video? It's not going to be simple process, in fact, you'll be looking at the same steps you are complaining about.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote