Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 20, 2006, 8:04 AM   #61

my C6 is coming back from a little trip to Japan in a few days (caused by a dead pixel).. I was just wondering.. wouldn't be easier for all of us to buy a cheap dvd player that plays divx and convert our clips to divx..
c_g_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:18 AM   #62

c_g_f: RE: DIVX DVD player

This has been discussed before:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27

I am not sure what "format" (DVD, VCD, SVCD) you should burn the videos onto the DVD though.

Note that the meaning of "DVD format" is different from "DVD codec" here -a "format" includes specific video and audio codec/ screen resolution/ bitrate (FYI: a "DVD" has MPEG-2 video codec with specific resolution and bitrate setting), plus specific ways files and folders are arranged that the DVD player can read and play. Hardware DVD players are not as flexible as software players used on computers, therefore the format must set absolutely correctly or it won't play.

There is a chance that menus, chapters and subtitles may not be used, but I am not sure because I have never burnt a DVD disk with non-DVD videos.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:00 AM   #63

I know something about codecs and so on.. C6 makes vga videos and that's not the video format/resolution for dvd (720x???) nor the audio.. so when you put something you've captured with your C6 into a dvd you're just streaching the content of your clip (with no gain on quality) to be readable by dvd players.. now there are lot of dvd players that comes with a little logo that says "divx certified".. I'm not saying that divx is better than dvd.. just that I think it'd be smarter to put or clip on divx (because cd-roms are much less expensive than dvd..) anyway.. it was just an idea
c_g_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 8:01 AM   #64

Just back from hols with a full sd card.
Does anyone know if the new MovieFactory 5 would be suitable for making a dvd from the C6 or would I have to convert to avi (thus losing some picture quality I presume).
Many thanks.

PS I found it really convenient to carry the C6 in a bum bag. Plays nicely on my laptop and now just hope I can get the quality as simply as possible to a dvd.
The Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 11:25 AM   #65

Just to let you know that I batch converted to avi then burned it to dvd on the software provided. To my surprise, it worked...
It was acceptable but some slight loss of pq. The C6 has recorded my holiday memories and that's all I wanted really.Nothing fancy. I don't think low light was a major problem. The stills were fine as holiday snaps. One thing which was very noticeable was the wind noise on certain scenes. It drowned out the dialogue.
I would say that you sacrifice some pq for convenience. As long as you accept that, it's a handy little gadget for recording holiday memories. For serious work, you'd probably have to look elsewhere.

Old May 29, 2006, 7:34 PM   #66

SO, WHAT IS THE ANSWER, OR IS THEIR NO CLEAR CUT ANSWER. I THE OLD DAYS, YOU TOOK VIDEO TAPE AND TRANSFERED IT AND EDITED USING A VCR TO VCR. SO, IF I READ YOU CORRECTLY, NO MATTER IF YOU PURCHASE A DIRECT TO MINI DISK OR TO SD CARD, OR TO HARD DRIVE CAMERA, THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO CONVERT AND EDIT YOU VIDEO TO BURN ON DVD.... IS THAT CORRECT?
FAST EDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 12:19 PM   #67

Quote:
THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO CONVERT AND EDIT YOU VIDEO TO BURN ON DVD.... IS THAT CORRECT?
Well Fast Eddie. I'm only a novice compared to some of these excellent people on this forum but that's the way it looks to me. These companies need their heads banging together until they come up with a format that doesn't involve codecs and conversions and whatnot.

The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne,as Chaucer said.
Old May 31, 2006, 11:11 PM   #68

THAT'S WHERE YOU ARE WRONG... THEY DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING... AND THEY KEEP SELLING THEIR EQUIPMENT... SO YOU GET SOMETHING THAT IS GOOD ONLY TO A POINT.... AND SORRY WE LET YOU TAKE VIDEO, YOU FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO WITH IT NEXT.... DOES ANYONE OUT THEIR HAVE AN ANSWER>\?
Old Jun 3, 2006, 11:17 AM   #69

Fast Eddie, simplicity is relative. I personally think it's pretty simple to edit the videos and burnDVDs on my PC. My Dadfinds it simple using his iMac (iMovie / iDVD) to do so. I know people for which using a computer is considered a complex task, it's all relative. I think part of the problem is that some peopleassume that if something didn't come pre-installed with their computer, thenthey consider itdifficult to deal with.Early onthe JPEG format was not understood by Windows or it's pre-shipped tools and utilities, yet thousands of graphic artists and digital photographers managed to work with the format using third party software.

Heck, you aretalking aboutediting with VCRs as being simple? I don't see it that way. But you can do something similar with the C6, for example, using the camera only, you can cut and paste videos together, then you can record the result directly on your VCR or DVD recorder. Some DVD recorders also allow editing. I personally thinkit's easier to edit on the PC.

By the way, I assume you are not familiar with netiquette, buttypingin all caps is viewed as screaming and considered rude on internet forums. Such posts often go ignored.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:38 AM   #70

Thanks for the ALL CAP tip.