Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1

I recently bought a C6 after carefully reading many reviews. It looks a great piece of kit and fits a shirt pocket well. But after that. What?
I have tried making DVDs using the barebones Ulead software provided and they turn out reasonably badly. The 4 second pause between scenes makes me see red.
I have tried converting to avi files with Photo Explorer and then burning a CD or DVD but the DVD player reports Disc Error every time.
This camera is so much hassle. The low light problem is a big problem. When you move the camera sideways during recording, the playback is jerky.
I wish I could send it back. I'll probably end up giving it away and getting something a lot simpler.
If any of you folks can restore my faith in this piece of......equipment....I'll be very grateful. What could I do to make it work?
I'm not an unintelligent man but this little blighter which cost me over £350 has made a crying fool out of me (To quote the song). Sorry Mr Sanyo. Never again.

PS I bought a 1 GB Ultra II Sandisk and the cheaper Viking SD card worked just as well.
The Inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:27 PM   #2

Most ofthe problems you mention seem related to your PC and the software you are using rather than the actual camera. Jerky playback and DVD disc errors are issues with your PC/software. If you are not happy with the bundled video editing software, keep in mind that camcorders don't usually come with any video editing software. If you want a better video editing software, you'll need to buy it (I think Vegas Movie Studio supports MP4?). Or try transfering (not converting) the files to .AVI using MP4Cam2AVI and using something like Windows Movie Maker 2?

If you record and play the videos directly off the camera on your TV, is it jerky?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:31 PM   #3

The Inspector:

My experience with taking video with the C6 (and C4) is that, if you pan (sweep from side to side, or move the camera) too quickly, especially when you have the image stabilization (IS) on, the video may get jerky or blurred. This is just what electronic image stabilization do: counteracting movement (in this case, deliberate rather than unintentional, like shaky hands), and there is a limitation in the video camera.

The low light performance of the camera has improved over the previous series (C4/C5 etc), but it is not perfect. I would say it performs as well in similar "low light" condition as my old Canon ZR30 miniDV camcorder in terms of graininess. Remember everyone has their own expectation about how dim is "low light". I would only use the C6 in well-lit indoor condition (ie. not just a 60 or 100 W bulb, or worse several candlelights from a birthday cake!) to get the best out of the video.

Please remember: hybrid still+video cameras like the Xacti do a decent job in both, but it is never as good as the most current models of standalone camcorders or still digital cameras!

As Caelum said, some of your problems, such as DVD conversion, may be a computer hardware problem. What type of computer (speed of processor, amount of RAM and hard drive size, operating system (I presume Windows?) do you have? My PC has Pentium IV 1.7 GHz with 1 GB DDR RAM and no fancy video card (on-board Intel video), in fact rather "ancient" in modern standard. I have no problem viewing and converting the video (I do have a DVD burner but I rarely burn). Sometime you may have a fast powerful computer, which is stuffed full of programs that run in the background (I don't mean "viruses", many "user-friendly" everyday softwares can do this!), making the performance poor.

Many people have already commented about the inconvenience about playing and converting MP4 video files. I never use the softwares that come with the camera so I never know how they perform. They are supposed to be more "user friendly" (in the sense that the program will take you step-by-step through the conversion process) but I never really use them to see how the final product (eg. DVD) is like.

As I and Caelum mentioned, you can try "converting" the MP4 file into DIVX AVI using this freeware called MP4CAM2AVI. After the conversion (plus the fact that you have DIVX or XVID codec installed), you can use any other video editing or converting softwares to convert and burn to DVD. Read my post here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27

(the middle of page 1)

After converting the video to AVI, I use a freeware called VirtualDub - this is NOT a simple or user friendly program, so I would not recommend it to you.

Another __freeware__ tool to convert AVI to DVD is AVI2DVD:

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html

I have not used this myself but I hear good reviews about this program (easy to use and decent quality).

Alternatively, as Caelum said, there are many paid video editing programs that can read and convert MP4 format directly to other formats such as DVD (then you can use a DVD burning software like Nero or Roxio for burning) - do a google search on "software convert MP4 to DVD".

I am sorry, converting modern MPEG-4 video files is never as straight forward as the old miniDV videos, because there are so many different formats and they have not been standardised yet. This is the best I can give you for now. Good luck!

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 2:29 AM   #4

Thank you Caelum and blindsight.
First of all, the jerky sideways movement is all down to panning the camera. It plays like that on tv. I shall try to avoid moving sideways!
I had already tried the batch conversion prog recommended by you and it worked but when I tried to import the avi files in to Windows MM, all I got was this:

The file C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\SANYO_PEX\20060328-1\100SANYO\100SANYO\SANY0001.avi cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.

I tried this a few times but was unsuccessful as the codec (whatever that is) did not download even after I granted Windows MM permission to access the internet.
Before trying that, I converted each scene one at a time with the avi converter in Ulead but windows MM burned it to a CD which would not play on the DVD player for some reason (I tried it on 2 players). If I remember rightly, I think it played okay on my comp on the Real player but (again if I remember rightly, I looked at the files and they were wmv files and not avi). Remember I know very little about files.
If windows MM had worked, that would be fine for me as my requirements are not particularly fancy.

My computer is a TravelMate 3202xmi - Pentium M725, 1.6 Ghz, 400 MHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache with 512 mb DDR and an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB card. Built-in supermulti DVD burner. Running Windows XP SP2 Pro.

I think this is the sort of hassle that puts off ordinary folk like me from buying more stuff. The manufacturers should get their heads together and think like the average punter who wants a stress-free life and stuff that works straight out of the box without having to download this and that and find out what codecs and file associations are. Like most folk, I only want to take holiday vids and snaps - not go on an intensive technology course.
I appreciate your help. though.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 7:08 AM   #5

Hi there,

I went away for the weekend on a football trip to Manchester and Wigan, and was delighted with how the C6 performed in comparison to my older C5. Videos in nightclubs came out well in all but the darkest corners of the club, and outdoor shots came out well. So for anone on the fence as to a C6 over a C5, if video is the main reason for getting the C5/C6, then I'd certainly recommend the C6.

anyway, onto the next issues of video. Yes, I find that panning slowly reduces the jerkiness of vidoe, but its never been that bad on mine (I don't have the stabilisation on by the way).

As for creating videos, I first convert to AVI using MP4CAM2AVI before doing anything, then use Ulead Movie Factory 4 to create the DVD based on the AVI files. Its a bit slow to render, 2.5 hours for my 30 minute extravaganza up north at the weekend, but acceptable. My Pc is an Athlon 1800 with 1 gb RAM, so on a newer PC , I might getter better render times I guess...

There's probably more advanced software out there, but it does the job for me with titles, fades, music etc. I stupidly took a video with the camera at 90 degrees, but used Ulead Video studio 9 to rotate it so its the right way up.

So it seems like we're at opposite ends of the spectrum, I've been delighted with my C6...it was hard to justify the money having got a C5 six months earlier, but in my experience its been worth it. And having now worked out my 'method' for DVD creation, I can quite easily put one together in a few hours. I did try to go down the path of making mpeg compliant files, as MF4 has an option to not re-encode them (probably saving time), but the time to convert to mpeg, plus the file sizes was a step too far really, for MY purposes, the method I'vegot works fine, but I guess it depends on your personal circumstances.

Hope this helps

Vince

vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 3:34 PM   #6

With the codec problem, above, install Div-x. You can search it using google. I could provide a link but my sucky dial-up is well...sucky.
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 5:28 PM   #7

The Inspector:

RE: codec download

It is better not to let Windows do the downloading because it may take a long time to search for the codec, plus Micro$oft doesn't like other non-MS codecs!!

If you are reporting an auto-message from Windows, I guess you are trying to play the MP4 file with Windows Media Player? WMP does not support MP4 files without the codec installed.

There are two independent __freeware__ media players that can handle MP4 files (even without installing the codec) -

(1) Media Player Classic

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=403110

(website:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/)

(2) VLC player (website)

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Most people find that VLC player shows better smoother video, especially when your computer is less powerful. One pet peeve with VLC player is that the screen switches off immediately after the video ends.

Apple QuickTime (QT) player also plays the MP4 file (MP4 is in fact an Apple creation). You can install free QT player in Windows, but I don't like it because, like many "free" players for commercial video formats, they come with "spywares" (that "phone home" or connect to motherland whenever you connect to the internet - you can block these if you know how to tweak your firewall, but the player may stop working altogether eg. because it cannot "phone home"). The two freewares I mentioned above do NOT "phone home".

RE: DVD transcoding and burning

I looked at the __freeware__ AVI2DVD - I am very impressed with its simplicity and quality. In fact AVI2DVD supports AAC audio codec used in the MP4 files, so you don't even have to transcode (convert) the soundtrack of the video to MP3 or WAV when you use MP4CAM2AVI to make the video DIVX-compliant. This shaves A LOT OF time off the conversion process.

I am quite sure using MP4CAM2AVI and then AVI2DVD will work for you, so please give it a try before calling it quit! Remember to read my previous post on MP4CAM2AVI and DIVX/ XVID codecs:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=27
(middle of page 1)

I had this discussion with Caelum about the Xacti C-series hybrid cam - I insisted that Sanyo tries to get the attention of the techno-junkie crowd with this fancy digital camcorder, but Caelum pointed out that this product would attract the general population who wants an all-in-one camera/ camcorder. Now this proves that he is absolutely correct. Unfortunately, we are not in the age of MPEG-4 (like MP4, DIVX etc) video yet - there are many formats, many of which are porprietary, and there is little standardization. They are not interchangeable, and conversion takes a lot of knowledge about digital video. This is not making it easy for the general public who wants something user-friendly and hassle-free.

The least we can do is to introduce you to a few useful tools which are not difficult to learn to use, and which work (at least better than the ULead Sanyo provided). I hope that you have not given up hope on your camera, because to be honest, there isn't a similar product in the market that can produce a nice balance of decent video and still picture quality ... yet!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:05 AM   #8

Thank you everyone for the advice. I love the camera as a gadget\useful tool but hate it for the way it is so complicated to make a simple dvd - which is what I bought it for. The man on the Clapham omnibus is not going to thank Sanyo when he sees what a dog's dinner it is to carry out what should be a simple task. Life is too short to beggar about learning about codecs and DivX whatever. At this rate, Dixons will be bringing back cameras with film, because all you had to do was take the photos and hand the film to the chemist. Voila! ( I use photobox, by the way to process the stills).
Blindsight. Thanks for the above. My problem is not playing the video (Quicktime does that or Real when converted).
As I say, Windows MM would be ideal for me. That Ulead stuff looks rubbish and not a patch on MM.
I shall try the options outlined by the contributors and let you know what happened.
I still say that you should be able to:

1. Shoot the picture.
2. Load it to your computer.
3. Trim and add desired effects\titles effortlessly
4. Burn to dvd.
5. Enjoy.

That's not happening. It does not endear one to the manufacturer and you think:" If their stuff is this much hassle, next time I shall look elsewhere".
Surely, someone who has this camera has a quick and simple method of making excellent smooth-running dvds without needing a degree in Computer Science. If so, tell Sanyo - and me!
Thanks again.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:10 AM   #9

Just had a look at that Avi2Dvd site and these were the "Tips":

*Tips :
1) In dvd mode (dvd input) you must rip your dvd in IFO MODE.
2) In avi mode if you have an avi/mkv/ogm with parts cd1, cd2, cd3... you can load as unique avi renaming the avis like this :
Matrix CD1.avi
Matrix CD2.avi
Matrix CD3.avi
etc...
renaming your files like this avi2dvd will join these avis automatically and wil produce an unique film . This is valid also for ogm/mkv.
3) Like the tip 2) if you have an srt/txt with two or more parts and want to join them then just rename them like these : Matrix English Cd1.srt
Matrix English Cd2.srt
Matrix English Cd3.srt
etc...
Avi2dvd will join these srt.

:?
Glad that's cleared that up then.
Anybody want to buy a secondhand C6?!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 9:30 AM   #10

Welcome to 2K.. you just need a program to create dvd from mp4.. I have the sonic suite that came pre-installed in my laptop... and it's really simple.. there should be free ones..

Edit: just found this one: http://members.home.nl/thefilmmachine/
still under beta version but it's better than nothing..

The Inspector wrote:
Quote:
Just had a look at that Avi2Dvd site and these were the "Tips":

*Tips :
1) In dvd mode (dvd input) you must rip your dvd in IFO MODE.
2) In avi mode if you have an avi/mkv/ogm with parts cd1, cd2, cd3... you can load as unique avi renaming the avis like this :
Matrix CD1.avi
Matrix CD2.avi
Matrix CD3.avi
etc...
renaming your files like this avi2dvd will join these avis automatically and wil produce an unique film . This is valid also for ogm/mkv.
3) Like the tip 2) if you have an srt/txt with two or more parts and want to join them then just rename them like these : Matrix English Cd1.srt
Matrix English Cd2.srt
Matrix English Cd3.srt
etc...
Avi2dvd will join these srt.

:?
Glad that's cleared that up then.
Anybody want to buy a secondhand C6?!
c_g_f is offline   Reply With Quote