Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 1, 2006, 11:51 PM   #11
Administrator

Plemix charges $50 for shipping for most all of their eBay offers and I believe it's the same for buying from their site too.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:26 AM   #12

I can'tvouch for what repeated conversion will do to the image.

Vegas 6.0d is a one stop shop for the Sanyo HD1, with plenty of output options.

Those who own a HD1 should try and get their hands on it

byrnalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:11 PM   #13

well at this price (459 $) i hope it can do plenty of output options !!!!

Windows movie maker is totally free, and it does pretty well in term of editing and adding great effects to SD avi files, so it can be difficult to swallow the price of vegas considering it's more than half the (expensive) price of the HD1 !!!

i guess most people here are not movie producers, and we just need an easy and cheap way to edit holiday shootage...the only big problem with Windows movie maker is that once you import HD1 files converted by MP4CAM2AVI (so .avi format) the render (in .wmv) will look more like Standard Definiton than High definition...and it will took quite a lot time to render (but i heard Sony vegas was slow in rendering too)

So if you want to enjoy edited HD1 files, Window movie maker might not be great...
but who can throw an almost 500 $ into just a software ?

concerning loss in quality after converting mp4 files with MP4CAM2AVI, i tried , and there is almost none , you can see my comments (marc louis) here regarding the use of this great sofware :http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=63460

byrnalan wrote:
Quote:
I can'tvouch for what repeated conversion will do to the image.

Vegas 6.0d is a one stop shop for the Sanyo HD1, with plenty of output options.

Those who own a HD1 should try and get their hands on it

kony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:48 AM   #14

Hi,

I have been chasing this problem around also. I was reading in http://www.dvinfo.net, there is a forum therespecific to the HD-1 and someone recommended the mac mini duo fora solution.

This isn't cheap at $799, but I bought one and with its bundled software i-movie you can archive, edit and play the HD-1's hidef mp4 files. The DVD player in it will even upscale standard def DVD's to hidef so it makes a great overall solution for a media center and not a bad value all things considered.

Else, I was down to researching the chipsets in DVD players for sale only in Asia to see if one could play the clips from the HD-1...arrgh!:-) Also, get VLC player for free, it plays without stalls on both the PC and MAC plaforms, Quciktime won't play without stalling.

Rich

richiedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 5:44 AM   #15

I was the one who posted on DVInfo about the Mac Mini, and I am more pleased with the solution every day. If you can afford it, and have an HDTV, it is very worthwhile. I just upgraded to the more powerful version (2gb ram, even more expensive), but it really flies.

For those who have heard that these Intel based MACs really drag on Photoshop ( the next version will run natively), my experience so far is very good. For routine tasks it seems to work faster than my 1.7 Ghz PC. Editing on a 5 foot wide HDTV screen is an exciting new experience!
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:43 PM   #16

Hey there psphoto!

I tried to register there but never got an email back from the moderators. I had some questions for you, like how to import into i-movie in native 720p...it kept down res'ing my clips to SD..I finally went back to the Apple store and it still took us 45min to find the video format pulldown...you have to create a new project..mine kept popping right into the editor for some reason. Works great now!

Thanks for the info on the mac mini, I'm very happy so far but am trying to complete it with a TV tuner solution suitable for a 42" TV. I don't know if you are doing this or not...I want to create a total media PC(ok MAC:-) )environment based on the mac mini. I bought the EyeTV EZ but the recording quality is very low and it slows the frame rate. I don't want to hijack the thread here, if you have more info on this you could share,I'll post my email.

thanks

rich

richiedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 8:49 PM   #17

I see how this would help you view the video in HiDef on the TV. But, I do not understand if there is a backup solution in here. I guess the best solution to preserve the original quality for now is to burn the original file (MP4) to DVD then take the same file and convert to AVI then burn to DVD with ?windows movie maker. You will loose the HiDef but would hopefully have pretty good quality DVD to give the grandparents :-)

Will be nice if we can get a DVD player that will play the original MP4 files right off the DVD. Even if was not HiDef right now would save you from having to burn a separate copy if you wanted to watch on TV. I guess the IMac is a slightly more expensive version of that... I have been looking for an excuse to buy an iMac :-). But, $1500 for camera plus imac is a fair chunk of change. This may be conversation with wife :P
psphoto wrote:
Quote:
I was the one who posted on DVInfo about the Mac Mini, and I am more pleased with the solution every day. If you can afford it, and have an HDTV, it is very worthwhile. I just upgraded to the more powerful version (2gb ram, even more expensive), but it really flies..........
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:05 PM   #18

Also, iMac question does the mini have much fan noise? Last time I tried to build my own home PC media center... worked great but fan noise overpowered the TV. I have yet to rebuild with a water cooled system or "quiet" fans.
TIA
Old Apr 4, 2006, 9:36 PM   #19

FYI for the HD1 (I just got one wow is it nice) anyway TMPGENC will accept directly these files and convert them to mpeg2 (I convert at 9mb so about an hour on a DVD IIRC ??)

the results are fantastic !! be sure to backup your original files in HD resolution so that when it IS practical to make an HD DISK you can do so.

I use TMPG DVD Author to mast my DVD once I have the mpeg2 files.

the HD1 COMES with software as well ! (at least mine did) it comes with DVD Movie Factory 4 (great software I was not thrilled by its encode but it master great DVD Menu's etc..)

Also came with Motion Director but I am unsure as to what that is.

for simple I just want to burn it to DVD (you can do basic editing clipping cropping etc..) used the TMPGENC combo

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2006, 7:22 AM   #20

Wow, I was not expecting that TMPGENC would read the files ?after MP4CAM2AVI. But, Mpeg2 requires the retail product for which I have been avoiding the $70 price tag. Most of the time I am just doing simple merging of several related small clips (what I do on my current Canon S2 IS). But, sometimes I want to increase the gamma on a darker indoor scene which requires re-encoding. :sad:

I notice there is a Sony Vegas Movie studio + DVD6 that you can get for under $100. Anyone know if that version of Vegas will read the MP4 files?

nerys wrote:
Quote:
FYI for the HD1 (I just got one wow is it nice) anyway TMPGENC will accept directly these files and convert them to mpeg2 (I convert at 9mb so about an hour on a DVD IIRC ??)....................
Chris Taylor