Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:39 AM   #1

Thanks for all the contributions; this forum has provided invaluable guidance, even for the technology impaired (me).

I purchased the C6 to film my son playing sports, so he could view his form and mechanics after hitting, pitching, etc. I have a mini-DV camcorder for important events that I want to archive. We look at the footage a few days after I take it and he makes adjustments. This is easier to do on a computer with the C6 than using the camcorder in conjunction with the TV.

I am on a PC and am not happy with the WMP or Quicktime playback. It is of lower quality than the LCD replays on the C6. Too much interrupted action and mismatching of video to audio, skipped frames, and often a green screen (I reduce the acceleration to work around, but this is time consuming on a file by file basis).

Is there a better viewer I should be using?

Also, on longer clips that I want to email to family members, is there a way to compress these files any futher so they are easier to email.

Sorry if this question has been asked before and I haven't found the answers.

Thanks.
lotterypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:16 AM   #2

http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

convert to avi container and use wmp. In case your pc processoris not fast enough you can get unsatisfied results during playback. at least IBM with PIII-1000 is not able to play 3000kpbs videostream smoothly.

the only option is to convert to lower bitrate using virtualdub or to burn AVI on DVD/CD and watch on MPEG4 capable DVD player for wich 3000kbps stream is not a problem.
ptiz_govorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:28 AM   #3

I have to disagree with ptiz_govorum:

MP4CAM2AVI is only a utility to change the MP4 format to DIVX-compatible AVI. It has nothing to do with changing the quality of the video so that it plays better on Windows Media (or other forms of) player.

Many people have reported poor playback of MP4 files with Apple QuickTime Player or Real Media player. We think this is mainly because these players use excessive computer resources (eg. processer or video chip processing power, RAM etc.), and we believe the video quality really deteriorate if your computer is not fast or "strong" (eg. lots of RAM, good video card etc.) enough.

You should try these two independent and __Freeware__ video players:

VLC player:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Media Player Classic:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

(download link)

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=403110

I find the video quality is better with the VLC player, but one pet peeve - the video screen shuts down immediately after the video is finished.

These two video players have built-in support for MP4 files (ie. you don't need to download and install codecs to play the video). They are also known to use far less Windows resources and therefore provide better and much smoother video playback.

If you want to use VirtualDub or some other video editing software to compress the file for emailing, then you should use MP4CAM2AVI to change the MP4 to AVI (DIVX compatible), which is more widely supported by current video editing software.

Yes: to make the video small enough for emailing you must (1) shrink the screen resolution (pixels X pixels) (2) reduce the video quality ("video bitrate"). I do not believe the Ulead Movie Factory that comes with the Sanyo does the above (it can only help you to convert and burn to DVD or VCD standards).

*** However, this may be a better solution to completely avoidthe above-

Upload your unchanged video onto a hosting site such as Rapidshare, and send the link to your friends and relatives, aspeople recommended on other posts. You may still need to do simple editing (eg. to make a video clip instead of sending the whole video), so that you are not sending (and they are not downloading) HUGE files.

VirtualDub is not user friendly and if you want a simple program that guides you through the conversion and compression process, this is not for you. I am sorry I don't use any paid programs for video editing so I have no recommendation for you otherwise.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 2:44 AM   #4

Thank you very much. The VLC viewer is a vast improvement. It allows very slow motion replay, which is helpful to our particular use. Just wish the start/stop function was a little more time sensitive (delay). I found I had to move the relevant files into one folder to allow continuous play without the program disappearing from the screen and having to be restarted.

I downloaded the MP42AVI2 program (I think), but all I got was a winzip file on my desktop. Pardon my ignorance, but how do you extract whatever you need from the winzip file to allow use of the operating program to permit the conversion?

Thanks again, and my son thanks you also.

lotterypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:43 PM   #5

Viewing a file folder full of MP4 files in windows XP: Inthumbnail modethe 1st scene does not show as it does for avi's (so one cannot quickly get an idea of what is in the mp4).

Is there a way to set xp to show in file folders the 1st scene of anxactimp4?

RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:15 PM   #6

lotterypick:

If you have Windows XP or higher, it supports decompression of compressed WinZip files - just double-click on the zip file and Windows should extract it. You may be asked where you want to put it, or it will automatically put the contents into the same folder as your zip file.

If it does ask where you want to put the decompressed files, make that "program files" (where all the other software programs are located). Otherwise, you may choose to move the folder to "program files" yourself afterwards (it doesn't matter where you leave the program running, but moving all programs to "program files" folder is a good habit because you know these are program files that should not be deleted!).

After decompression of the zip file, you get a new folder called "MP4CAM2AVI", which contains an icon called "MP4CAM2AVI.exe" <---- this is the program itself. After unzipping there is no further installation steps and it is ready to use.

Now you need a desktop shortcut icon to start the program - right-click on MP4CAM2AVI.exe and choose "create shortcut" - now a shortcut called "Shortcut to MP4CAM2AVI" appears at the bottom of the folder - click and highlight this new shortcut, and drag it onto desktop (or use "cut" and "paste" with the right-click menu). Now you can start the program with a desktop icon (click on the icon once and you can change the name eg. getting rid of the words "shortcut to" and ".exe").

Remember: MP4CAM2AVI is only the first step of making MP4 files usable by some video editing softwares: it cannot shrink the video screen or reduce the video quality to reduce filesize itself. Also __DON'T__ forget to download and install DIVX or XVID codec. You should look at this thread where I posted some replies (half way down the page):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=27&page=1

Come to think of it: after converting the MP4 to AVI, why don't you try Windows Movie Maker that comes free with Windows XP or higher? It takes you step by step through, asking what you want to do along the way - if I remember correctly you don't need to worry about all the techno-jargons because it would ask if you want to shrink the video for eg. "email", "broadcast through dialup internet" etc. This should be ideal for you if you are new to Digital video editing.

Remember: even after shrinking, it may still take several Mb per minute of video. You may want to do basic editing eg. making clips.

RichardD:

I believe the thumbnail mode only works for video formats supported by Windows Media Player (and MP4 is not supported). Therefore you have to convert the files to AVI with MP4CAM2AVI, and have DIVX or XVID codec installed, before the thumbnails will show the scenes.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 12:51 PM   #7

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
I have to disagree with ptiz_govorum:

MP4CAM2AVI is only a utility to change the MP4 format to DIVX-compatible AVI. It has nothing to do with changing the quality of the video so that it plays better on Windows Media (or other forms of) player.

well, I didn't meant mp4cam2avi produces unsatisfied results, I only quoted that 3mbps bitrate is high enough to play on some old cpus.

btw, on Centrino-1.7 VLC player gives 10% less processor utilization compared to wmp. 50 (with divx decoder post processing turned off)versus 40.
ptiz_govorun is offline   Reply With Quote