Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 23, 2006, 11:27 PM   #11

I have only shot video with the stabalizer on and I think this could be the cause of the jerky-ness. I shall have to try turning it off and see how this goes. Its also possible my PC isn't powerfull enough, a 1.4 Gh Pentium M, I use quicktime to replay the video. However when I play the movies through my TV they still appear jerky.

Have you experienced the overexposure problem? This is really excessive. I've tried exposure compensation and reducing the ISO setting but to no effect.
spacemonkeyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 1:30 AM   #12

RE: overexposure

Do you notice this especially when there is a big difference between bright and dark areas in the same scene? Sometime I notice the bright area "overexposed" compared with the dark area when the camera tries to compensate to make everything bright enough.

The default metering mode is "multi-section", which should give the least problem with overexposure compared with "center-weighted" and "spot" metering. However, it depends a lot on what you are shooting and in what lighting condition (eg. backlight).

Exposure compensation should help to correct overexposure.

I do notice the overexposure problem seems to be worse when I boost the ISO.

Apart from a probable problem with exposure measurement and averaging (eg. in "multi-section" mode), this may also be a problem with a narrow dynamic range of the sensor - which means when there is a big difference between brightness, contrast etc in the same scene, the detail of some parts of the scene (depending on how the camera tries to compensate - brightening dark areas causes bright areas to loose details, and vice versa) is lost. I may be quite wrong on this theory and I don't have a better explanation on "dynamic range".

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 6:52 AM   #13

Thanks for the suggestions however this problem occurs when the whole of the scene is uniformly brightly lit. For example on a beach in bright direct sunshine.

It looks as though the camera cannot handle these situations, even at the smallest apperture and slowest ISO setting.

The exposure compensation is ineffective (in video mode ) but will correct the problem when shooting stills.

I must say that the lighting conditions are extreem in this case, but not uncommon ( brightly lit beaches, out on a boat, skiing in the mountains ) and the camera should be able to handle them.

I think that maybe there is a fault with the exposure system, however it copes with low light conditions very well.
Old May 24, 2006, 9:38 AM   #14

spacemonkeyxx wrote:
Quote:
Have you experienced the overexposure problem?
The only exposure problems I've had is that the C6 doesn't appear to auto-adjust the exposure simultaneously whilethe optical zoom is actively being used. When I'm not using the zoom,the auto-exposure appears to work well even when going from indoor to out or vice-versa.

I looked for an example in my files, and the most glaring example I found was actually test video shot on my first day with the C6. I uploaded it to YouTube,and with the heavy compression the quality is really crap, but that's notthe pointhere. Video starts out with max. 5X optical zoom, when at the top of the tower, during the optical zoom out, the exposure does not adjust until the zooming process is over. Again, when I zoom in on a guy standing in front of the tower, exposure does not adjust until zooming stops. Click to see the example YouTube video: Auto exposure appears towait while zooming.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 9:52 AM   #15

Damn I just found my first hot pixel! It was not there when I used the camera last time on a trip about two months ago. Fortunately it is located close to the bottom of the screen, and you have to look really hard on the (standard) TV screen to see it in the video clips.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 2:33 PM   #16

spacemonkey,reverexposure problem, you're not reffering to a white washout effect: like Quicktime does as pointed out in this old thread? By the way, if I try to use Quicktime for Windowsto playback MP4s I do get jerky playback, especially in full screen, and the soundiswarbly too.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 4:45 PM   #17

Hi Caelum

Thanks for the tip about quick time. I downloaded a new MP4 player today and the jerkyness is much improved. The colour saturation is also better. The overexposure problems percist however. Highlights are totally washed out, especially white areas in bright sun light. I will try playing about with the exposure controls to see if I can remedy this.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:35 PM   #18

Love the xacti cameras. Had the c4 c5 and now c6. The picture capture while filming is in my opinion useless, because although t is a short pause it ruins the video. As someone said it is usually the most interesting point which is ruined. This has happened to several videos of mine and have been really dissapointed when watching them back and it pausing at the best point. Also flash can't be used so useless if its not very well lit.

Other than that the cameras have been brilliant for me and have stood up to quite a lot of abuse. Although the beginning of this year I took my c5 skiing and it broke. I'm not sure why but I am ssuming it must have got wet. Although I never dropped it or anything so seems to me the slightest dampness or water on it and it can't keep up. CA6 maybe a better idea.

Although I have just put my c6 in a small bag and a perspex lens cover, so hopefully will be protected this season.
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote