Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 9, 2006, 2:35 AM   #1

Any suggestions on where to find the correct "codec" required by Windows Movie Maker to recognize C6 files converted through MP4CAM2avi_v2.27?

I did the conversion to avi and burned to disc on one computer, then tried to import the file to Windows Movie Maker on another computer and it says I don't have the codec.

Thanks for any direction.
lotterypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2

As described previously, you need to install either DIVX or XVID codec after the MP4 files are converted to AVI by MP4CAM2AVI

DIVX (the divx player/ decoder is free but the encoder (ie. to convert other formats to divx) is paid):

www.divx.com

XVID (freeware - in my opinion a better codec than divx, especially ever since divx went commercial):

http://www.xvid.org/

DIVX and XVID codecs are very similar "functionally" - so once you installed one you probably don't have to install the other one.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 12:54 PM   #3

---- (Sorry duped post!)
Old May 10, 2006, 12:47 AM   #4

Thank you very much. You have admirable patience.

I went to the xvid site and dowloaded the zip file. I think this is original code, there is no .exe file to open a program with.

So, I went to the divx site and downloaded the trial version. I converted the .avi file, it took awhile, and the resulting file had a .divx extension. This file type cannot be imported to Movie Maker.It will only accept asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv files.

Movie Maker says it will accept .avi files, but it says I don't have the correct codec when I try to import the .avi file I created from the mpeg.4 conversion. The file plays on all players, this program (Movie Maker) just won't take it.

My only purpose in using Movie Maker was to join about 17 plate appearances by my son and cut out all the unnecessary footage for expedited viewing by his coach. I am not trying to be a film maker, nor looking for special effects, etc.

Thank you again.
Old May 10, 2006, 8:40 AM   #5

I haven't used the newest DIVX 6 codec but I know many commercial softwares like to be "dominating" - in this case, make the file extension "their own" (.divx)

Since you said you used the "trial version" I bet you use their DIVX converter to convert the file instead of just installing the codec. Proprietary software makes "monopolized" video files (.divx), this is why I don't like them.

Try changing .divx to .avi and see if WMM will recognize the new file.

If you still run into trouble, you have to uninstall the DIVX codec and dump the converted file, before installing the XVID codec. As I mentioned you need either the DIVX or the XVID codec for the avi file to work.

My mistake I didn't realize the download at xvid.org are source codes. Try this one:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm

(There are in fact two separate developers working on the XVID codec - Nic and Koepi - it doesn't really matter which version you use, I just use the latest version).

After installing XVID codec, use MP4CAM2AVI to do the conversion instead - please read previous threads to see how to use MP4CAM2AVI (use Search function on "MP4CAM2AVI" in the Sanyo forum)

Hope it works now!
Old May 11, 2006, 4:12 AM   #6

Thanks again. WMM took the .divx files once I changed the extensions to .avi.

I did read the entire directions on converting the Sanyo files ultimately to dvd through the various programs/steps. I will ultimately get there one of these days.

Thanks again for your invaluable contributions.
Old May 11, 2006, 9:42 AM   #7

If you have a computer DVD burner it always come with DVD burning software such as Roxio (probably the most commonly bundled software) or Nero. In that case all you need to do is to use the Wizard option,load the converted AVI file and follow step-by-step to complete the task - the DVD burning software will automatically convert the Divx AVI to DVD format for burning.