Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 23, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1

I found the HD1 is very shaky and hard to take picture and video with esp. in 10x zoom.
How can I be more steady and take clear photo and video?
What is the Wide lens for?
Will it be any helpful on my situation?
Is it widely available yet?

I also found this on ebay, will it be any improvement for the HD1?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/49mm-UV-PL-DIF...QQcmdZViewItem

And last, what do you guys recommend for a small/handy portable flash light to take video with?
I just found this, do you think it will fit in the tripod hole?
http://www.camerabright.com/

thanks in advance,
soda
soda97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 3:06 PM   #2

soda97 wrote:
Quote:
I found the HD1 is very shaky and hard to take picture and video with esp. in 10x zoom.
How can I be more steady and take clear photo and video? Try also turning off the image stabilization, some people with a steady hand have found it easier to use without the stabilization. Let me know which way is better for you.
Quote:
What is the Wide lens for?The wide angle lens alters the zoom magnification from a 38-380mm lens to a 22-220mm lens.
Quote:
Will it be any helpful on my situation?Your 10x lens will no longer be 380mm, but instead would be 220mm (roughly as if you had zoomed to 6x). The zoom always makes a difference. The longer a zoom, the more stabilization is needed as every minimal movement is exagerated.
Is it widely available yet?It is available.

I also found this on ebay, will it be any improvement for the HD1?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/49mm-UV-PL-DIF...QQcmdZViewItemThis would not assist in stabilization, but the polarizing filter can be of assistance with enriching colors (sky, water, etc.). These 49mm filers would require either the VCP-L06WU wide-angle lens, VCP-L14TU telephoto adapter or the 49mm lens filter adapter (called the VCP-AL49 in the US - soon going on sale)
Quote:

And last, what do you guys recommend for a small/handy portable flash light to take video with?
I just found this, do you think it will fit in the tripod hole?
http://www.camerabright.com/First time I've seen this. Great idea. Would definitely assist in low to medium light situations. Their samples do show a blueish cast likely caused by the LED light quality. Still, very cool product.
Quote:

thanks in advance,
soda
Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 8:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not familiar with all the camera accessories.
What is the advantage of using the wide angle lens if it only acts as a 6x zoom?
I couldjustzoom into 6x without the lens...

How about the telephoto lens?
Does it give extra zoom ability?

Lastly, do you think Camerabright's flashlight would fit into the tripod hole?
I really think this would be helpful in taking video esp.in low lightsettings
anditalso attaches to the camera.
Do you have any other recommendation (I would prefer attaching to the camera though)?

thanks in advance,
soda

Old May 23, 2006, 8:38 PM   #4

What is the advantage of using the wide angle lens if it only acts as a 6x zoom?
I couldjustzoom into 6x without the lens... The wide angle lens is still a 10x lens, but it starts at 22mm instead of 38mm. Therefore, you gain from 22-38mm focal length.

How about the telephoto lens? The telephoto lensbecomes a 53mm to a530mm. At 530mm you will absolutely need to stabilize the lens on a sturdy tripod.
Does it give extra zoom ability? Technically neither give extra zoom ability - both alter the zoom range - 38-380mm, 22-220mm, 53-530mm.

Lastly, do you think Camerabright's flashlight would fit into the tripod hole? You should confirm with them, but the HD1 uses an industry standard tripod mount, so it should have no trouble connecting to the camerabright.

I really think this would be helpful in taking video esp.in low lightsettingsanditalso attaches to the camera.- It definitely would help. Pros always put positive light from on or near the camera towards the subject being photographed.

Old May 24, 2006, 1:09 AM   #5

Sorry, I'm not quite familiar with the mm focal length.
What do they really do...give a few extra angle?

What situation would I benefit from each lens?
Can you give me some examples
(since $100 isn't cheap for an accessory...)?

When is the Lens filter adapter be available?
What kind of filters will there be?

Sorry if I ask too much...
I'm trying to make the best out of this camera.
:-)
I'm appreciated your helpful advice.

soda
Old May 24, 2006, 11:51 AM   #6

mm / focal length relates to the angle of view.

Focal length (mm)
Angle (degrees)

A wide angle lens, such as a 24mm has a large 74 degrees of viewing angle. A telephoto lens that is 300mm has only a 7 degrees of viewing angle. A scenic shot would need the larger angle of view or coverage while a sports shot of your kid playing baseball in the outfield would need a narrow angle of view of less than 10mm.

Most often when people show the differences, they show it as bringing subjects closer to you when you zoom in. Remember that you can also move closer to the subject and make the subject larger in the picture. This will yield a different result versus zooming in. The angle of view when on your 38mm (HD1 standard wide angle) still shows approximately 50 degrees angle of view while if you are farther and zoom in, it also crops the background. A picture of you in front of the grand canyon should be done as wide-angle as possible with the camera close enough to make you large in thepicture frame while showing as much of the grand canyon as possible in background. If the camera is farther and you zoom in, you loose part of the grand canyon.

I personally don't think that you will need the telephoto adapter, but the wide angle adapter is something you should consider getting.

The lens filter adapter is simply an adapter that would allow you to put 49mm filters over the lens. If you are the type of person who wants to put a filter over your main lens to protect it, then the filter adapter allows you to dothat.
Old May 25, 2006, 4:30 AM   #7

Thanks for your thorough explanation.
I think I kind of understand but still a little confused...
Let say if you have the wide angle lens,
it'll start out with a wider range
and when zoom into 10x is more like a 6x range...
is that correct?
So it should be less shaky, however it also lose the real 10x zoom range (as in more close up to an object) right?

soda
Old May 25, 2006, 11:08 AM   #8

Basically, I think you are understanding it.
Old May 29, 2006, 6:17 PM   #9

one last question :-)
With the wide angle lens and maximum zoom, will you see the shakyness as in 10x zoom or 6x zoom of the standard lens (because 6x zoom is less shaky for the standard, but it is also maximum zoom for the wide angle view)?

thanks in advance,
soda
Old May 29, 2006, 9:56 PM   #10

most likely equal to the 6x