Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:15 AM   #11

I lost my new MP4 thumbnailing when I uninstalled the 3ivx filter. I reinstalled the 3ivx filter, getting my MP4 thumbnail creation back. 3ivx has nagware for an audio decoder I don't need. I have ffdshow, I thought it would replace 3ivx. Any ideas why Windows Explorer sees only the 3ivx filter, and so how to direct it to ffdshow or other nag-free freebie filter? The 3ivx people only want $7.00, but do I need 3ivx to make MP4 thumbnails?
xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:13 PM   #12

Hey cool idea.

I checked my registry under .avi and I found the first key exactly like japanxo mentioned:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1} which contains {c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}

I found a second one like this:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516} which contains the same thing: {FFB699E0-306A-11d3-8BD1-00104B6F7516}

Same as my .mpg file type, but not .mpeg - it only had the first one.

Does that second key have anything to do with thumbnail images? Also, will this same trick work with other file types such as .ogm (OGG media)?

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:16 PM   #13
arp

I canĀ“t put work thumbnail at my explorer too!

Made this registry change but nothing (like mpeg key)!

If I convert mp4 to avi whith tool mp4cam2avi can see .avi thumbnail... but not .mp4!

I alreday install 3ivx filter but nothing!

Any help please?

Thanks
arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 5:44 PM   #14

3ivx codec follow-up:
Without buying anything, I got rid of the persistant notifications, "Sorry, 3ivx audio decoder trial has expired," or to that effect.
In regedit*, searching on the term 3ivx, I deleted maybe 9 entries relevant only to audio decoding. Two midnights have passed, so I feel confident this worked.
It would be nice to point the MP4 thumbnailing default to FFDShow, but this is good enough.

*Note for registry twiddlers-- I installed ERUNT to back up my registry the free and very easy way before I got started.
xactic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2007, 1:03 PM   #15

The Haali Media Splitter supports MP4 thumbnails (works well with ffdshow tryouts,should beall you need). Made for XP, but I'm also using them under Vista, they work well.

Edit: find attached a registry fix for full MP4 support under Vistawith Media Player 11 and Media Center including playback and thumbnails. Simply install ffdshow tryouts and Haali Media Splitter, then apply this registry fix. Note that the ffdshow tryouts codec pack also supports many manyformats, including Xvid/Divx,subtitles, Ogg, etc., basically most of what you need. Make sureyou configure Haali to enable thumbnails extraction!
Attached Files
File Type: zip VistaMP4.zip (1,023 Bytes, 2212 views)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 5:04 AM   #16
arp

Caelum,

How can "run" this MPEG_Streamclip_1.8.dmg file?

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2007, 2:41 PM   #17

arp, looks like you posted this in the wrong thread... but regarding your question, the .DMG file is for installing onMacs (Apple computers), I don't have Mac, I use a PC, so I can't really help you. But it seems that if you are using a Mac you simply need to drag the .DMG file into your Applications folder. If you are not using a Mac but a PC, then you downloaded the wrong version of Streamclip.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:52 AM   #18

I was having a similar problem with my C40.The thumbnails wouldn't show up at all.I read of this fix for Quicktime & it worked.Now I can select any of the thumbnails & they will play just fine.Lots of good information here.

http://forums.3ivx.com/index.php?showtopic=81332

philbert1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:15 AM   #19
arp

Caelum,

Sorry My mistake...

Now I instaled Haali Media Splitterbut have same problem... Can't put Thumbnails work!
Old Mar 5, 2007, 1:14 PM   #20

arp, did you configure the Haali Splitter to enable thumbnail extraction for Explorer? Another thing to note is that if Windows Explore had already produced a thumbnail, like a generic MPEG one, for example, it will not try to produce a new one. Try deletingthe existingthumbnails tohave Explorer recreate them.