Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:48 AM   #21
arp

Hi Caelum,

Yes, I enable explorer integration.

For .mp4 files my explorer have a generic thunbnail, but not "foto". At folder options i have check "do not cache thunbnail". How can I delete the existing thumbnails?

Thanks
arp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:30 AM   #22

arp, if you disabled caching of thumbnails, then there shouldn't be existing thumbnails. Sorry, I don't know what your issue is.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:34 PM   #23

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
arp, did you configure the Haali Splitter to enable thumbnail extraction for Explorer? Another thing to note is that if Windows Explore had already produced a thumbnail, like a generic MPEG one, for example, it will not try to produce a new one. Try deletingthe existingthumbnails tohave Explorer recreate them.
Sorry to respond to an ancient post, but I have never been able to get thumbnails to work w/ Haali Media Splitter + ffdshow tryouts on my XP machine or my new Vista machine. This post encouraged me a little.

Thumbnails extraction is turned on. I also deleted "thumbs.db" per your suggestion but it has no effect and Windows does not appear to be interested in recreating the file. Any other suggestions?
scottws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:27 PM   #24

Hi scottws, if you have Haali Media Splitter + ffdshow tryouts installed, then for Vista to display icons you are just missing the shell registrypatchfor MP4 files.

Check earlier in this threadfor a file I posted as an attachment called "VistaMP4.zip"; simply unzip it and open the "Vista mp4.reg" file to apply the patch, and after a restart Vista should then display icons for all of your MP4 files. It works very well on my Vista machine with all my MP4 files, including the latest HD700 high-definition ones. I use a Vista laptop with remote control running Media Center to view all of my videos in the living room on TV, it works great.

I haven't made a registry patch for XP, sorry; it would be similar to the Vista one butprobably needs editing.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:26 PM   #25

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
The Haali Media Splitter supports MP4 thumbnails (works well with ffdshow tryouts,¬*should be¬*all you need).¬* Made for XP, but I'm also using them under Vista, they work well.

Edit: find attached a registry fix for full MP4 support under Vista¬*with Media Player 11 and Media Center including playback and thumbnails.¬* Simply install ffdshow tryouts and Haali Media Splitter, then apply this registry fix.¬* Note that the ffdshow tryouts codec pack also supports many many¬*formats, including Xvid/Divx,¬*subtitles, Ogg, etc., basically most of what you need.¬* Make sure¬*you configure Haali to enable thumbnails extraction!
i edited the registry manually, and also execute your registry. the icons still don't wanna change to thumbnails.

i use vista, and installed KLM coded.
Valmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:26 PM   #26

Valmighty wrote:
Quote:
[...]i edited the registry manually, and also execute your registry. the icons still don't wanna change to thumbnails.

I can't comment on the KLM pack or what you did manually. My Vista registry patch works withthe (properly configured) Haali MP4 media splitter and a working compatible AVC directshow codec. Keep in mind, like I mentionned just a few posts above, if Vista already produced generic thumbnails for a file, it will not recreate them; you need to delete previous thumbnails (with the Disk Cleanup tool) to have Vista then re-create them.

Note that if you cannot play MP4 videos in Windows Media Player 11, thenthe MP4 splitter and / or AVC + AAC codecs are not installed or working properly, you will need toaddress this first before thumbnails can work.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:07 AM   #27

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Valmighty wrote:
Quote:
[...]i edited the registry manually, and also execute your registry. the icons still don't wanna change to thumbnails.

I can't comment on the KLM pack or what you did manually.¬* My Vista registry patch works with¬*the (properly configured) Haali MP4 media splitter and a working compatible AVC directshow codec.¬* Keep in mind, like I mentionned just a few posts above, if Vista already produced generic thumbnails for a file, it will not recreate them; you need to delete previous thumbnails (with the Disk Cleanup tool) to have Vista then re-create them.

Note that if you cannot play MP4 videos in Windows Media Player 11, then¬*the MP4 splitter and / or AVC + AAC codecs are not installed or working properly, you will need to¬*address this first before thumbnails can work.
sorry caelum my mistake.
your patch did work perfectly! thank you very much.
it's just vista thingy, dunno what went error (i even tested it with a new files copied from another machine, so its not about thumbnail cache). but after a couple of days, the thumbnails showed. pretty wierd, maybe registry-changes requires restarting (coz i never shut down my PC).

hey if im to change your patch so it can patch another format (like rmvb), i just change any mp4 text to another format right?
of course if u give the permission

thank you so much for the effort, n sorry for the troubles.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:04 PM   #28

Valmighty wrote:
Quote:
[...]maybe registry-changes requires restarting (coz i never shut down my PC).

hey if im to change your patch so it can patch another format (like rmvb), i just change any mp4 text to another format right?
of course if u give the permission

thank you so much for the effort, n sorry for the troubles.
YES! Sorry if I forgot to mention that. The Vista desktop (explorer.exe) needs to restart for the registry fix to take effect(explorer.exe only reads the registry when it starts)... easiest way to do that is restart the system (although it can be done other ways).

I don't know for realmedia, I don't use it, but I guess if you have a rmvb compatible directshow splitter and codec it should work (VFW codec probably will not); but go ahead and change what you want...
Old Nov 23, 2007, 5:40 AM   #29

Caelum wrote:
YES!¬* Sorry if I forgot to mention that.¬* The Vista desktop (explorer.exe) needs to restart for the registry fix to take effect¬*(explorer.exe only reads the registry when it starts)... easiest way to do that is restart the system (although it can be done other ways).

I don't know for realmedia, I don't use it, but I guess if you have a rmvb compatible directshow splitter and codec it should work (VFW codec probably will not); but go ahead and change what you want...
[/quote]
ic, i tweaked my XP reg, and the changes were realtime, guess its different now with vista

i do have rmvb splitter. ok thanx, let me see if i can make it work.

thanx u for all of your supports.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 8:02 AM   #30

I stumbled on this thread. The reg entry early in the thread does indeed help my system (Windows XP) generate thumbnails for MP4 files...

... however...

Generating is a problem. Some (many) of my MP4s already have embedded artwork/album art in them, and was hoping to find a way of displaying any existing artwork. Have some MP4 files (many) which start in black and fade up to video. The process of generating MP4 thumbnails then just gives me a black rectangle -- not very useful. For most files, the best thumbnail is subjective. I've gone into many of the files to find a good representative frame, and designated that frame as the artwork. This art shows up fine in iTunes and in AudioShell Tag Editor (and I suppose other software).

Any clue how to display thumbnails which come from existing artwork within the file, instead of just the first frame?
pfurrie is offline   Reply With Quote