Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:31 AM   #1

I have got the hi iso performance when capturing video clips. And here i have extracted frames to see the exif info. But i always get a much too long shutter speed when capturing images directly. I have read, i think, all there is to read and done every possible experiment, that i can think of with lamp mode setting. I have to extract frames from the video clips.

I see others in this forum have some low light performance failing, but no solution is really come up. So i would like to hear if someone who can take good low light pictures with the lamp mode.
I typically find the iso to be 900 in lamp mode and shutter speeds around one second. I was thinking it could be a factory failure? But the it alsofails on my old C1.

It seems that i can get the high iso, but only at a shutter speed at 1 to 4 seconds.
Whycan't i just get something like 0.1 seconds at iso3600:angry:

To know these things,i shot some test images taken with C6 in lamp mode (f3.5 wide angle):

1.Street lights gave shutter at 1,85s and ISO900 (Attached image)
2.Relative dark gave shutter at 0.15s and iso900
3.Complete dark gave shutter at 1s and iso3600
Attached Images

para7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:39 AM   #2

Here a frame extracted from C1. Bathroom, exif info cannot be displayed.
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:46 AM   #3

Here a frame extracted from C6. Bathroom, exif shows iso3600
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:04 AM   #4

Here a frame extracted from C6. Streetlights, exif shows f3.5 iso3600
Attached Images

Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:22 AM   #5

I found the C6 low-light performance to be really poor for both stills and videos. Because of my frustration with the C6, I recently replaced it with a Panasonic TZ-1. It is very compact (but not as small as the C6), has 10X digital zoom, excellent optical image stabilization, and its low-light performance is far superior to the C6. In addition to great still pictures, it also takes excellent videos, although the compression of the video file is not as good as the C6 (i.e., less video fits on the SD card).

When I first got the C6 I was thrilled with the small form factor, and one-handed shooting capability, but quickly realized it was pretty much useless for any kind of indoor shooting in low light. To me the tradeoff to the somewhat larger form factor of the TZ1 is more than worth it. I find myself using it way more than I ever used the C6. The fact that the TZ1 is less expensive is an added bonus.

This will be my last post trashing the C6, but my experience with it was quite frustrating, and I wanted to make people aware of the TZ1, which I've found to be a really nice alternative.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:48 AM   #6

Thanks gusher1. I read http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...dmc_tz1-review and it is really something with movie mode widescreen (16:9) 848 x 480, though the low light tests did show "unimpressive high sensitivity mode" and "no USB 2.0support". It's quite big and heavy and needs lans cap, but looks really cool. Played the sample and it looked great, but just don't understand why compared to the image the sound is like it's coming from a telephone. Maybe typicalfor Quick Time.

I think i need a camera to record snap shots of events like concerts and parties, often at night, and then i prefer stereo hi fi sound. One thing for sure, the C6 has that. C6 has 3600 iso and f3.5 and maybe the low light video performance is unique. What i think is lacking is (maybe some factory default) the low light still image performance. But i might anyway just extract the frames i need from movies. But with C6 i also miss high resolution low light stills.

I almost bought the ultra ultra compact, low lightand value for money Olympus Stylus 710 (digital anti shake, water resistant, iso1600) http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...stylus710.html but then againthe movie sample showed fine quality (very smooth :O15 fr.s. ) Quick Time
BUT telephone quality sound
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:41 PM   #7

I have found that the both the low light still performance AND the low light video performance of the TZ-1 to be far superior to the C6. Yes, it is has some tradeoffs. It is definitely larger than a C6, but still quite compact. It also has a 10X digital zoom and much better image stabilization in return for the additional size. No USB-2 support is an irritant but a minor one to me. The external lens cap is a non-issue for me. I read the reviews on the poor sound quality, but I haven't really noticed a difference playing back videos on my computer speakers. Maybe if you are running the sound through a stereo system you might notice a big difference in quality.

For me, the tradeoffs are more than acceptable in return for the far superior picture and video quality. Bottom line, I was unhappy with the C6 and am very happy with the TZ1.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote