Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:07 PM   #1

Irecently purchased the HD1. My dad owns the C6.
We put the cameras side-by-side and snapped photos and videos under different light conditions.

Here are the results.

- low-light video: C6 much better than HD1. HD1 was absolutely dreadful in low-light conditions.
- we found the colors to be more natural (true to the source) on the C6 in video.

- still images: bigger flash on HD1 and thus brighter and better still pictures on the HD1.

- When shooting video in well lit areas, the HD1 outperfomed the C6. However, we were viewing the video via component cables for the HD1 and via S-Video for the C6 on a 50" HDTV.

- The HD quality of the HD1 wasn't evident when compared to the C6. The quality of the video produced is very comparable. The HD quality of the "HD1" doesn't compare to HD TV channels. HD1 is recording at 9Mbps whereas the Sony HD cameras are recording at 25Mbps.

- The HD1 is a bigger camera and also heavier. We preferred the weight and size of the HD1 compared to the C6. The C6 seemed too small and light for taking videos.

All in all, the HD1 isn't ready for primetime. IMHO, it's a gimmic that they claim the HD1 produces "HD" quality.

Save your money and purchase the C6.

I welcome your feedback and comments. I'm going to purchase the camerabright in an effort to improve low-light shooting.
dub mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:41 PM   #2

two words

I AGREE!
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 1:39 PM   #3

Nice comparison.

Has anyone tried the 60fps mode on the HD1? For me this would be the only reason to choose the HD1 over the C6 as I don't own an HDTV just a standard 42" plasma. 60 fps appeals because I will be taking a lot of footage of fast moving objects and would like to be able to watch back in slow motion.

Thanks for your time
flaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:41 PM   #4

Good review,.....I have the C5 and love it but will likely buy an HD1 for the 10x zoom. And, as you noted, outdoor video in good light and stills are better on the HD1. Frankly, the HD part is of no interest to me.

My hesitation on the HD1 is not the quality of the video but the seemingly lack of reliability.

If you have other observations since this interesting post, I'd sure like to hear them.

Thanks,...Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5

Did you or your dad try the HD1 in regular SD video instead of HD? Wondering if that video is as good as the C6, especially in low light. My interest in the HD1 of 1a is the 10x zoom, mainly. Any comments on that? Thanks,...Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 7:28 PM   #6

Just looked at still images taken with the C6 and they're horrible! even a $150 canon camera would do so much better @[email protected]
Miggle is offline   Reply With Quote