Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:32 PM   #1

Hi everyone, I'm knew to this forum and couldn't figure out why Adobe PRemiere Pro, or Sony Vegas only read the audio of videos Iconverted from mpeg4 to mpeg2, but no video.

So I upgraded to Vegas 6.0d and it reads mpeg4 and edits it. I have a question. I film in 16:9 highest setting on the HD1. When I'm done editing my movies, what settings should I export them at to get the best quality and 16:9 resolution?

And how long would it take to export/render a video lets say, thats 20 minutes? thank you all for your help. Stupid DVINFO forums are taking forever to register and activate my account, its so stupid. Thank you!
bronxjragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:50 PM   #2

Hi bronxjragon. I think Sony Vegasmight bethe best video editing software for the Sanyo Xacti MP4 cams at this time.

It canoutput HD videos, but unless you are going to play them on a PC or have an HD-DVD burner, you will need to downsample HD1 videos to DVD resolution to play them on regular DVD players.

For producing a "best quality" widescreen DVD video with Vegas and DVD architect, you would normally set your project properties to "NTSC DV Widescreen" (assuming you're in North America or Japan, otherwise PAL) and set rendering quality to "Best". Right-click onthe preview screen andturn on "Simulate Device Aspect Ratio". Edit your video. Then render twice: videousing Mainconcept MPEG-2 template "DVD Architect NTSCWidescreen", audio using Dolby Digital AC-3 template "Stereo DVD".Join these in DVD Architect.

Rendering the final video is going to takea long time because the "Best" rendering quality really does asuperb job at resampling.How long depends on many factors, like your PC's capabilities, and the complexitiy of your editing (effetcs, transitions, overlays,etc.). But you only do this once at the end, so it's not really a problem. You cansimply start a final video render at nightbefore yougo to bed.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I kinda had a feeling those were teh answers, just glad to verify. Another question, when I'm actually editing in Sony Vegas 6.0d, the video is very jerky...I guess because editing mp4 is difficult because it is so compressed. Any suggestions to make editing more stable so that I can see what I'm editing almost in real time? Thanks all.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:51 PM   #4

I don't have an HD1, I have a C6 and editing in Vegas directly fromit's MP4 files is surprisingly smooth and real-time in the preview, even with effects on my PC. But the HD1 has so much more resolution (3X more pixels per frame than the C6) that I'm not sure you can do much except get anew very powerful PC. If you were to convert the HD1 videos to a less compressed format prior to editing, it might help, but the files would balloon to ridiculous sizes and your drive might then also becomea bottleneck. (uncompressed: 1280*720*RGB*30 fps = 80MB/sec. or 640Mbps)

I'm not sure, but you could possibly resample low-res "stand-in" versions of your HD1 videos just for editing, and then substitute with the real ones for final render? Perhaps Vegas' "Take" feature wouldfacilitate this (one lowres, one high)? I'm just thinking out loud, I don't know if this is easily doable.

Does setting the preview to "Draft" help at all? ...Probably not.

Sorry if I'm not much help, good luck and have fun.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:23 PM   #5

I can't render the movie MPEG2 because I apparantly have to register Vegas, but it wont sent me an activation code, blah blah blah.

I rendered a 13sec clip to HDV and it came out to 80mb. The original file was 15 MB. Even with an external hard drive of 500GB, it would get full after rendering lets say an hour movies. Whats the best option here so that the render is good quality but not too huge?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:17 AM   #6

The format you select depends on your target platform (PC or MAC and how powerful it is) anddelivery method. The best possible quality for smallest file size currently will be acheived with the MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) codec in v6.0d (use Mainconcept AVC/AAC for HD content,the Sony AVC/AACis more for PSP output).The thing is that the complexity of theMPEG-4 AVC (H.264) codec requires a powerful PC/MAC to playback HD content(Your HD1produces MPEG-4 SP or ASP, not AVC). MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) is the premier codec for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Check out Apple's description of H.264or Wikipedia.

By the way, when editing video, it's always best to have a dedicated high-speed internal HD just for the editing. You shouldn't edit video on the same drive off which Windows or virtual memory runs. External drives won't be fast enough.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:44 PM   #7

Well, I rendered my video as WMV9 and the quality is well, NO LOSS IN QUALITY! It really is beautiful and the files are actually smaller. I edited some footage and it came out to 2 min 45 sec (152 mb). This is very good for me but the question is, will I be able to make a DVD movie out of this file? Can I just put it in Nero or something and burn it as a DVD movie? Thanks