Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:35 PM   #1

Hello Folks,

I have the Xacti C5 and absolutely love it. I get great stills and very good videos, at least to my eyes when played on a normal TV. The clips handle easily and I make DVDs in the Panasonic HD recorder/writer. I'm not unhappy with the C5 but would like to have more zoom and a larger screen. I don't want to sacrifice anything that I have in the C5.

I was a phone call away from buying a Sanyo HD1 until I started seeing several reviews about the black screen problem and Sanyos reluctance to make the owners whole on this production problem. The other reported cons in the HD1 don't really bother me such as the focus and zoom noise problems. I have these on my C5 and they're minor, in my opinion. However, if a camcorder is as unreliable as the HD seems to be (see Amazon reviews), I just won't waste my time.

If someone has any favorable news about the HD1, I'd love to have my mind changed,..........but customer support on these problems seems to be a deal breaker.

I'm now considering the Panasonic SDR S 100 or S 200 and wondering if anyone out there has actual hands on experience with this camcorder. I'm particularly interested in how manageable the files are and how small and light the camcorder is. I can't find one locally to look at. Apparently, there is no quarrel at all with the video quality on this unit or on it's reliability.

Sure hope someone has some input for me. Thanks,......Jack
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 2:55 PM   #2

In terms of a camcorder it's a great compact one with high-end features like 3 CCD and OIS (Optical Image Stabilisation). The curious thing is that it does not even have a megapixel CCD (800k pixel = 0.8megapixel), so I question it's usefulness as a true hybrid. But they claim somefancy interpolation and "pixel shifting" to acheive 3.1 MP photos? Maybe it's good enough? I don't know. Some reviews, like CNET's claimthe image quality, both video and image,isnot so hot, and that the OIS is "mediocre"; surprising, but I guess these small cameras all have a price to pay. Also, 25 minutes of recording timeon a 2GB SD (because it's MPEG2) means that you will need a few 2GB SD cards ($) and more hard disk space. However, overall it's definitly agood camcorderand the price also reflects this.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:31 PM   #3

It seems that many reviews are very negative. I suspect that the Amazon reviews on the HD1 are feeding on each other and people that have a complaint about the HD1Sanyo like to pile on. I've spent several days looking at these reviews and am yet to find one that is positive toward the HD1.

The Sanyo C5, predecssor to the C6 and HD1 is really a very fine little camcorder. If I could buy another one with 10X zoom and a slightly larger screen, I'd quit looking. I especially like the size and the ability to trim and attach clips within the camera.

What I'd really like to find,......I can dream, can't I?,........is someone who has actually used the Pany S 100 and the Sanyo HD1 and could give a careful comparison of pros and cons, perhaps even pictures of the two. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find an S 100 around here to look at and hold.

Guess I'll have to be patient.

Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:23 PM   #4

One of the best reviews I came across for the HD1 was the one at Camcorderinfo (<-clik to view). (They had originallyposted a "preview" which was useless). The comments attached to the review are interesting. The reviewer is harshwith the HD1,but you can't really fault him coming at it from a camcorder perspective. But it's a little like a movie review, critics might trash a movie, but it might stillappeal tosome people.

Personally when I bought the C6 I was looking for a true hybrid thatoffered the best balance for portability, stills and video. I wasn't looking for the bestDigicam or the best Camcorder. Small file sizes and relatively good low-light video were a factor for me, so I passed on the HD1. I'm very satisfied despite it's known shortcomings. As you appear to be with the C5. I think there is no ideal (yet) ultra-compact digicam/camcorder, butsome are good enough for casual users like us.

But I agree seeing others complain about technical problems (like the "black screens") is distrubing and would also turn me off from buying.

I hope someone can offer you the info you seek about the Pana SDR, but I have a feeling this might not be the best forum to get that info. By the way, keep in mind that more zoom (10X) amplifies the shaking.

If you're patient enough, a better device will come along. :G Cheers.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:22 PM   #5

Reading about the new HD1a makes me think that Sanyo will be working in a little bit different direction in the future, like a C7 or something, which adds some more PMP functions to the unit. The C6 is fantastic as long as you have reasonable expectations at this stage of the technology. I would have preferred a higher bit rate mode in MP4 and larger SD card compatibility, and better indoor photography, but in time these features will come. Hopefully Sony and other manufacturers are looking closely at what Sanyo did right with the C6, because I would like a Sony M3 if it performed better than the Sanyo C6. The C6 is a good camera, apretty goodvideo camera,but a feeble PMP. I think the C6 is currently about as good as it gets for non H.D.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:28 PM   #6

Grunchy,

Thanks for the tip on the Hd1a. I googled it and learned it will have wide screen, in camera editing etc. Since I like my C5 so much, I'd really like to stick with Sanyo. I'd have an HD1 right now if it weren't for the bad reviews on reliability. Maybe the HD 1a will be better. For my purposes, the ability to shoot pretty good stills with the camcorder is important. Most important factor is size and the Sanyos have that. The announcement I read said the camera will be released in September so I think I'll wait with my fingers crossed. I agree with you that a C7 would be just as desirable. I don't need the HD but would like the 10X zoom. Thanks again for the tip, I might have bought the Panasonic if I hadn't heard of this. They bring 'em out faster than I can keep up with!