Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:59 AM   #1

Just learned from a forum member than Sanyo has announced the HD!a camcorder with some significant changes such as widescreen. This is good news but the real deal maker or breaker for me is the reliability. The "black screen" problem is just too prevalent for comfort.

I'm sure hoping Steve will review this new camcorder. I have the Sanyo C5 and let me tell you,.....it's a really good camcorder. The in camera editing is imortant to me and the size is simply the best. I have had zero problems with my C5 and have shot thousands of videos and stills with it.

There's a rumor that Sanyo may be releasing a C7 also but nothing in writing that I can find with Google. I'd like to upgrademy C5 to something with 10x zoom and wide screen. HD is not especially important to me.

If anyone gets info on this new camcorder, please let me know. Maybe the Sanyo man can give us a clue? Thanks!
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:27 AM   #2

Just take a look to this topic:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...ca6/index.html

This is Sanyo VPC-CA6 - modification of C6

FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:25 AM   #3
Administrator

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/sa...6_hd1a_pr.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Administrator

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/sa...06_ca6_pr.html

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the super quick posting, Steve. I'll be looking forward to your review. I wonder if it's possible to get any actual reliability statistics from Sanyo. If you read the Amazon.com reviews you'd think 90% of the HD1s totally failed in the first 30 days. It seems that people that have the camera really like it,........unless it has totally failed. I enjoy your reviews and this forum! ....Jack
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:48 PM   #6

Does anyone else feel a tiny bit ripped off that Sanyo is "exploiting" the feedback from its early adopters by coming out with a "revised" version so soon after the original release?

From the press release, it seems like the added features of the HD-1a could be implemented on the HD-1 via firmware upgrade (it doesn't sound like there are any actual hardware changes). I suppose it would be asking too much of Sanyo to offer the upgraded firmware to those that bought their camera early and helped them "debug" it.

newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:00 PM   #7

I don't have the HD1 but I see your point about a firmware update. Perhaps they'll do that also?? I think the screen type has been changed on the HD1a. If you have the HD1, are you getting good results? I continue to be spooked by all of he total failures I see on Amazon.com reviews. Surely it's a better camcorder than that.....?
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:19 PM   #8
Administrator

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the super quick posting, Steve. I'll be looking forward to your review. I wonder if it's possible to get any actual reliability statistics from Sanyo. If you read the Amazon.com reviews you'd think 90% of the HD1s totally failed in the first 30 days. It seems that people that have the camera really like it,........unless it has totally failed. I enjoy your reviews and this forum! ....Jack

Yes it does look as if they have had a problem with failures of the OLED display and/or its controller circuitry as the new HD1a is spec'd with a standard color LCD screen now. Unfortunately we don't get the time to do longevity testing as we only have the cameras for about 30 days before we send them back. With cameras being replaced or upgraded sometimes twice a year we need to post reviews in a timely manner or they are already "old news." This is tough when we see so many newcameras every year and this year we have those that were announced in Jan and Feb at CES and PMA conventionsand even more announced at Photokina heldin late Sept. in Germany.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 5:55 PM   #9

Hi Steve,

I'm sure I speak for a lot of us when I say thanks for including the Sanyo camcorders in your fine reviews. These little hybrids really do a job for me. I have my C5 with me all the time during my twice weekly quail hunting tripsand find I do more photography than shooting. The clips are a snap to put on DVDs for viewing during the off season. I've always taken stills but the video/audio gives a new dimension, making for sort of a modern day "Hunting Journal". I'll wait for your review then most certainly buy the HD1. Thanks, Steve!
Attached Images