Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 28, 2006, 10:28 AM   #1

Sanyo touts the in camera editing in the HD1a but don't get very specific. Doesanyoneknow if this is an improvement over the clip shortening and deleting already available in the C5? The C5 system is okay, but VERY time consuming since joining two clips requires playback of both clips,.........or severalclips.

Sanyo says they have increased the warranty period on the Hd1 to a full year when it concerns thedreaded "black screen" problem.Since the HD1 supposedly has a better screen than the HD1a, this might make the HD1 more desirable unless you want to make low res clips for ipods etc. I'd still wait for the HD1a if there is a significant difference in the editing capabilitities.

With release of the HD1a scheduled for September, Steve may get one to review pretty soonand we can all be enlightened.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:03 PM   #2

I didn't wait. I just bought mine from J&R this past weekend. They had it for the same price as the HD1a, plus I was able to get a 2 gig card there for only $40, an extra battery for $24, plus Vegas HD DVD Platinum for under $100. And to top it all off, they shipped it for FREE next day!

I'd rather have the OLED screen -- the display is so much better than any LCD, and with my slowly deteriorating eyes, I need every little bit of help I can get!

The other features of the HD1a weren't worth the wait for me. The only thing I miss from my old camera (a Sony Mavica CD400) is the 3:2 aspect ratio for stills. That's perfect for most prints, and is a good intermediate between 4:3 and 16:9 -- they also play pretty well on a 16:9 screen. Oh well, at least I picked up an extra megapixel coming from the Mavica!

My goal was to replace my still camera -- getting an HD video camera out of the deal is a great freebie!

Aaron
alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:27 PM   #3

Aaron,

Maybe you could post your impressions of your camcorder after you've used it a few days.

One thing I never could find in any reviews was whether or not it was possible to print the date on the videos. I make DVDs that are basically hunting journals and would like to be able to have a date imprinted on the first clip of the day. That feature certainly isn't a deal breaker but would be nice for my purposes.

I know the OED screen is different, but is it noticeably better? If it is easier to see in bright light, I'd probably grab one myself instead of waiting for the HD1a. The feature I'm really after is the 10x zoom,......plus I'm hoping for more reliability than the early HD1s had. I was ready to buy when I first read reports of the dreaded "Black Screen" problem.

I think you'll like the still photos you get, My little C5 takes really good stills. During my uses I often take a still of my bird dogs while I'm doing a video and talking. It's a really nice feature.

Congratulations and good luck with the HD1...

Jack

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:47 PM   #4

I don't see anything to put a timestamp in the photo or video -- I think you've got to rely upon the file date & time for videos. Of course, there's EXIF data in any photo you take. You could just take a single still and that would store the data for you inside the EXIF.

I was originally a bit concerned about the level of saturation I saw in the videos, but then I read about tweaking the settings in VLC (I set saturation to 0.75 and contrast to 0.9 in the Preferences -> Advanced -> Video -> Filters -> Image Adjust).

I've been playing with video mostly up to this point, but shot some stills tonight and was really impressed with the photos! The flash is incredibly good -- after coming from the Mavica (which had a horribly bright flash that always washed out human faces), this camera's great! I won't be afraid to use the flash anymore!

alphaman is offline   Reply With Quote