Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:26 PM   #1

I just read the Amazon.com reviews of the HD1. I'm amazed that 6 of the last 7 reviews give this camcorder the lowest possible rating. There is no nit picking, just reports oftotal failure,......the dreaded "Black Sceen" problem. Several consumers mention multiple failures withunsatisfactory response from Sanyo and very slow warranty service.

I really want one of these cameras, or the HD1a, but I've finally been convinced that it's simply too risky. What amazes me is that the Sanyo rep on this forum has not responded. One has to assume they simply don't have a fix for the problem.

What say you, Sanyo?
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2

But they replied to you in this thread to say that the HD1a doesn't have the problem?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:51 AM   #3

No,....

I haven't heard or read anything from Sanyo that even acknowledges the "Black Screen" problem that seems to be so prevalent on the HD1.

Sanyo did state that the change of screen types from the HD1 to HD1a had nothing to do with the "Black Screen" but rather the closure of a mfg plant for the type of sreen used on the HD.

My guess as to why Sanyo is silent on this forumand elsewhere is that they have not fixed this problem yet. The only thing I've heard that is even a remote admission that there is a problem was a statement from Sanyo on this forum that they had exended the screen warranty on the HD1 to a year.

So, as I said "Sanyo's Silence is Deafening"

Jack

Old Aug 5, 2006, 1:38 PM   #4

Setter Dog wrote:
Quote:
No,....

I haven't heard or read anything from Sanyo that even acknowledges the "Black Screen" problem [...]
Well, if this statement doesn't acknowledge it for you, I don't know what would:

Sanyo wrote:
Quote:
[...]As for the blacked out screen, the HD1 typically comes with a 1 year parts/90 days labor warranty. We have issued a directive to our service department to extend and honor the limited warranty for one year forlabor as well for cameras that experience the blacked out screen issue.

Since this was a limited issue in the production of the HD1, it should not affect the HD1a product.[...]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:26 PM   #5

I think that's what I said,....extended warranty. Have they said that they've fixed the problem? If they have, I hope somebody clues me in.....
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:40 PM   #6

Caelum, Thank you for pointing out my earlier posting.

And, yes, the problem is isolated and fixed. I am even told that the guy who posted on Amazon on July 27th was credited back his laborcharge. While that seems like a simple task, it is a major undertaking in a large company. Our first priority was to fix his camera and get itback to him.

Consideringallof the major manufacturers Ihave worked for, I think we did a good job jumping on the problem, determining the cause, implementing a fix into the production linewhiledeveloping an action plan to handle the units that had already made it into customers hands.

Thanks to all who stood with us.

SANYO Fisher Company, USA

Sanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 5:05 PM   #7

Sanyo,

Thanks for acknowledging the problem but mainly thanks for the claim thattheblack screen problemwas isolated and fixed. I will look forward to reading a few reviews of the HD1a and then buying one, hopefully.

I love my C5 and would have an HD1 right now if Sanyo had been more forthcoming in admitting the problem with the HDand extending the warranty publicly.

I will be pondering why so many HD1 buyers have had repeat failures of the screen? That is a mystery.