Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:46 AM   #21

Thanks FZKAP. I'll do mine tomorrow and report back.
Sam
sambrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:58 AM   #22

Hi Steve and everyone,
I have downloaded the s815nup1.bin file, copied it to my card and followed the install instructions as per the sanyo site. I get to the 5th instruction: "Choose 'FORMAT' from the menu screen and press 'SET' button for more than 2 seconds." The display goes straight to the format screen and does not change to the firmware screen no matter how long I keep the set button pressed. I have tried putting the s815nup1.bin file actually IN the DCIM folder, but that does not work either. Any suggestions where I'm going wrong?
Thanks

Sam

PS - I'm on a Mac, but I see no reason why that should make a difference. Could the s815nup1.bin file be corrupt?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:43 AM   #23

You push the Set button to the left - not down.
Viviners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:02 PM   #24

Good news. I finallytried out the new firmware in a loud environment last night. Itlooks like the sound clipping problem is fixed! Sounds much better... you can see the difference on the graph below. These are not from the same show, but they were both recorded inside a club with live (loud) rock music:

It's doing dynamic compression now. I did some tests alternating soft and loud sounds and it reacts very quickly too, it doesn't wobble. Only downside is that it normalizes sound, but the vast majority of the time I'm happy with that, it's like a full auto rec. volume.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:53 PM   #25

Great! Cant wait to try it out on a gig of my own. Update sucessfully installed (thanks for the correction!)
Sam
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:58 PM   #26

Sounds like good news - haven't tried it out myself, but will be going to an organ recital where the music will be thunderous!

Should be a good test!:G
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:37 PM   #27

Do you play organ? Do you know a guy from the UK called Paul Roberts? He tours the states regularly. Good friend.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:08 PM   #28

The firmware upgrade does do a great job of compression. I whispered into the mic and continued to speak louder into it. It didn't clip or sound like crap! I'm so happy Sanyo has support for these cameras. This was indeed a good purchase :-)
gadgetguy2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:57 PM   #29

Well I did a little experiment -I sang to my Xacti!!!:lol:

First I sang very quietly and then I leaned forward and practically screamed into its microphone. Try as I might I'm very pleased to say I couldn't get it to clip! Before the firmware upgrade, the clipping would have been absolutely awful.

Well doneSanyo for listening to customers!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 4:07 PM   #30

I'm very grateful that the firmware update solves the clipping problem - it makes this camera usable for me.

However, the audio I'm now getting is extremely bass-heavy. I'm recording standup comedy, and the comedians are speaking into a mic. The xacti's audio has this overpowering, booming bass that's not there in "real life" or in the recordings I make with my little point-and-shoot Sony DSC-T9. It's worth noting that this only happens when the comedian has a fairly deep voice;female comedians don't produce this problem.

Itried using equalization but the bass is just too strong to bring it down without destroying the character of the comedian's voice.

Are other people noticing this, and does anyone have suggestions?
adamx is offline   Reply With Quote