Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1

tired of the same regurgitated Sanyo Hype!! arrghh, im going to the states in early september and thinking that maybe, finally, ive decided on the hybrid for me...hte fact that its 4gb card compatible is a big plus..at least it wont be outdated in 3 months as far as memory capacity!

but after reading all the notes on dead pixels and hte useless antishake features etc i wonder if this camera will have the same drawbacks.

well, if ANYBODY has had a chance to play with this thing wed REALLY appreciate just a quick "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" or ANY damn info thats not plain old HYPE.

good winds!
kyrojoe in mexico

kyrojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:57 PM   #2

some more pics i found on akihabara site here as attachments, oops sorry but dont know how to put more than one attachment??
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3

heres another (sorry moderators but just dont have time to figure out how to put more htan one pic per post..

Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:27 PM   #4

I don't think there is any independent user review on the CA6 yet, not even in Asia. I think this is because unlike previous Xactis, the CA6 is going into the home (Japanese) and worldwide market at the same time. Product previews from various camera sites are only quoting the Sanyo press release and some of their PR stuff.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5

I saw this new Xacti in Akihabara on Saturday.

I wasn't that impressed. It is bulkier than the regular C6 and really doesn't look as nice. Very plasticky looking.

Also the screen is completely exposed and could easily get sratched considering this model is meant for adventure activities.

I understand the workings are the same as the C6 but the video that was playing by the display did not look very good quality.

Just my thoughts.
bigginhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:31 AM   #6

Hi Guys,

i got the Camera yesterday. Compared to my XACTI VPC-J1 EX, the image quality is better (still imagesand video), even in dimmed light conditions i get sharper Images. So for me the Camera is an Improvement over my old one. But i don't know how the quality competes against other digicams but i don't really care. My old XACTI was good for my needs and this new one is evenbetter.

The bad news: The cam has 2 dead pixels in the 640x480video area. So I called Sanyo Service who offered me an replacement. So I sent the cam to Sanyo today. I hope to get it back next week.
The service men told me, that they will interpolate Dead pixels by firmware, like other manufactorers do. One of my Dead pixels vanished after some time and was flickering. But I have an evidence Video

Another problem: after "closing" the display and waiting 1 or 2 minutes, the xacti does not power on again if you open the display! This happend every time. To Power on the CA6 you haev to press some buttons then wait about 30 seconds until the power LED blinks a few times. After that you can open the Display again an the Cam turns on. You can also press the Stick-Button while the Display is Closed, and the Camera turns On! Very strange.

The supplied Hand grip is Useless, I would have preffered if the had put a Camera-Bag instead into the box.
At all, using the camera one handed with the stick and the menu is nearley impossible. Zooming, recording and taking images with one hand is good.

The USB Cable can only be attached if you open the Battary case. Ok, i would prefer tu use a cardreader anyway. But if you like to watch your pics on TV this is a little disturbing.

If one of You has any questions ask me. Perhaps i will upload some images at weekend.

Added:

For those who complain about the image stabilization: in my first test i found it very good. Due to the fact that i could see see dead pixels in the video i could see how fine the stabilizer works, because the dead pixels began jumping.

MarkusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:03 AM   #7

hi markus, did you ask the sony techs if they are realeasing the firmware to the public.. there are compalins about dead pixels and maybe the consumers can do it by themselves.

thanks for the info on the new CA6

echo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:34 AM   #8

@Echo7:

i ask the Sanyo techs if i could do it myself, but he responded that this is not possible. he also stated that he is not sure whether Sanyo's independant service companies already are equipped with the necessary tools to mask outdead Pixels (for this new Model). That was the main reason why he offered me to return the cam to Sanyo directly and not to my local trader, because that could take longer to repair.

btwi'm from Germany, soeverything i say is related tothe German service andcamera model.

MarkusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:18 PM   #9

*Sigh*

So the hot/stuck/dead pixel problem is the same as the C6 - obviously they are still using the same manufactured batch of sensors, whichobviously have inferior quality (yes pixel problem do occur in other brands, but not usually so noticeable soon after purchase, and not reported by so many customers). It's a shame that Sanyo has such a good product ruined by sensor problem, maybe it's their way of cutting cost and keeping the MSRP down. I wonder if they even recycle parts from returned merchandise ....
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 3:12 PM   #10
fdf

I find this very interesting. I had something similar happen.
When I first got my c6, on the first, and maybe second, movie
clip I shot, there was a noticeably light spot. And although it
annoyed me, I was also very taken by how smoothly it's motion
compensated for any jerkiness of my hand--the image stabilization
function.

Then, the spot went away, and I have never seen it since, neither
in movies nor in stills. It hadn't occurred to me that the camera
had marked it as bad, and was interpolating over it, and that there
is still a bad pixel there. Rather, strange as it seems, I have
in the past seen solid state devices get better over time. I recall
once reading how transistors can improve their function after
manufacture by long usage--strange, and of course I don't recall
where I read it. Well, in any case, whatever the camera is doing,
it's good enough for me at this point.

My latest purchase--not delivered yet--is a Samsung d900,
3 megapixel, half inch thick camera phone. If this works as
well as I hope for my "snapshots," my next pure camera purchase
may be a higher end (heavier) device.

Also, since I don't post here very often. I still have to say how
much I like my c6. I recently took a trip with my brother, and he
had a new Sony DSC-H2. Not a huge camera, but I felt very much
advantaged to have my little c6, and we compared both movies
and stills. The optical zoom lens on the Sony was far superior,
but but otherwise, my c6 was very competitive. When we
compared low light movies, I'd expected my ISO 3600 performance
to be way better than his ISO 1000, but my movies were only very
slightly better. Again, the Sony's better lens may have edged into
the one and a half stop sensor advantage.

MarkusX wrote:
Quote:
The bad news: The cam has 2 dead pixels in the 640x480video area. So I called Sanyo Service who offered me an replacement. So I sent the cam to Sanyo today. I hope to get it back next week.
The service men told me, that they will interpolate Dead pixels by firmware, like other manufactorers do. One of my Dead pixels vanished after some time and was flickering. But I have an evidence Video

For those who complain about the image stabilization: in my first test i found it very good. Due to the fact that i could see see dead pixels in the video i could see how fine the stabilizer works, because the dead pixels began jumping.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote