Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:14 PM   #1

which one is better in terms of features and video quality?

I would like to know what your views are if you own either of these models or both based on video quality, digital stills, audio, image stabilsation etc?

what is the quality while recording in very low light or no light? Must be suitable for taking video/images in low light/dark light situations(min 0 lux illumination) as compared to most minidv camcorders.

I have read some reviews on the hd1 model stating that video quality is not good. is this true?

also is the sanyo hd1 model the most advanced pocket size hybrid digicam/camcorder available at present with loads of features as given below. As these are the features i am looking for in a pocket size camcorder, if there is anything better than the hd1, then please let me know.
  • digital video and audio [/*]
  • digital images at high resolotion[/*]
  • Different effects for image and video[/*]
  • High optical zoom(telephoto lenses)[/*]
  • Digital zoom[/*]
  • ISO Speeds[/*]
  • Easy transfer from device to pc, video etc[/*]
  • Docking station[/*]
  • Macro/super macro or both[/*]
  • Different video and image modes, eg.portrait, night mode etc[/*]
  • Good image stabilsation(anti shake)[/*]
  • Good flash[/*]

vampiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2006, 5:09 AM   #2

vampiro wrote:
Quote:
what is the quality while recording in very low light or no light? Must be suitable for taking video/images in low light/dark light situations(min 0 lux illumination) as compared to most minidv camcorders.

I have read some reviews on the hd1 model stating that video quality is not good. is this true?
I have an HD1 and I'm happy with it. Neither of these cams work acceptably well in anything close to low light. If you want a low light cam, look to larger SD cams and spend more money . Someone posted HD1 vs. C6 comparo videos on the web. I think the HD1 videos posted have noticably better quality. I don't have a C6 myself so I can't conduct any comparisons, personally.

I mostly shoot in full manual mode because I feel I can better control the results and minimize focus and exposure "hunting." For indoor shots, I turn on all the lights, open all the window curtains, and set the color balance manually (easy to do with the HD1 utility) and, finally, bring in more lights and reset the color balance. I select ISO 100, open the lens fully and shoot at 1/30. I'd rather use ISO 50, but can forget about it indoors. If a test shot is too dark, I increase the exposure with the +/- ev control, which increases noise too, of course. I avoid ISO 200 or higher due to the increased noise in the image. Obviously my settings introduce DOF and subject motion limitations--all in the name of lower noise and PQ! For best PQ, shoot outdoors.

I've recorded videos in excellent light that are as good as the famous baby in the park and little boy eating ice cream samples that were posted months ago when we all got excited about the HD1. Unfortunately, I need optimal conditions to obtain such results, which usually means bright light and a subject that can be "tracked" by manual settings or, IMHO less reliably, automatic settings. That being said, my best videos have picture quality in line with much of what is passed as "HD" on network US television but most of what I shoot is of substantially lower quality. I accept this as a size and price / performance tradeoff.

Hope this helps to set your expectations.

-Cal
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote