Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:20 PM   #1

Sigma what have you been thinking when you decided to bring this guy for a presentation of Sigma's SD14 DSLR, he speaks like an amateur, he reads from a notebook, his English is poor, this is not the way to present yourself to your future customers. It is a friendly advice cause I will soon be one of your customers.

Check the interview here
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2

Idan wrote:
Quote:
Sigma what have you been thinking when you decided to bring this guy for a presentation of Sigma's SD14 DSLR, he speaks like an amateur, he reads from a notebook, his English is poor, this is not the way to present yourself to your future customers. It is a friendly advice cause I will soon be one of your customers.

Check the interview here
Reading from notes is not a bad thing when presenting new equipment which has not yet been finalized.

English is histhird (or possiblyfourth languge - how many do you speak?) and he answered the questions very well. Were you put offby his "accent" or that he isn't a native English speaker? Remember this was Photokina, not PMA and these mini-interviews were done multiple times in many, many languages for a wide audiencespeaking German, English, French, Spanish, Slavic, Asian and other languages. Your bias is showing. Sigma can't have multiple speakers who perfectly address each language. How would you like to conduct an inteview in German? LOL..

Let's not concentrate on the messenger but rather the message....

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:18 AM   #3

let's not!, English is an International Language so of course they have to come with a presenter that speaks the English language very well so the other interviewers can ask him questions in the International language - English !
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:12 AM   #4

I'm assuming you've never actually been to Photokina? English may be the "international" language of business, but it's far from an "International Language". Interviews were conducted in multiple languages as they are in the majority of European trade shows. Vuslat Tatar speaks and understands English just fine. If his accent puts you off, then so be it, but that has nothing to do with his message or with his ability to communicate that message.

Sigma is a Japanese company. Would you have been more impressed if a native Japanese speaker had given the interview in English? I would guess that were I to give an interview in Spanish, native Spanish speakers might not think my accent too great either, but that wouldn't detract from either my understanding or my ability to "communicate" which, after all is what's important.

Of course we're all welcome to our opinions, but the largest market for Sigma cameras is not in English speaking countries so I suspect the important issues were covered to the satisfaction of the majority of those who really care.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:14 PM   #5

hahahaha i think it is funny,

someone from Tel-Aviv, Israelis taking up for the english

language, and someone from Berthoud, Colorado USA

is complaining about it, or it's use. man, i wish i had

that much time on my hands! hahahahahahaha
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote