Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

I was one of the people luckyenough to beta test the SD14 and since it's been released can now post a few images.

These were taken with a late beta version of firmware and converted with an earlier prototypeprior toversion 3 SPP which has some improvements, I'm told.

My experience with the camera was verygood. It's a major improvement over my SD9 and SD10 and performed very well for me under all my normal shooting such as wildlife and gallery art. I found the autofocus to be greatly improved from the SD10 - much faster and it locked dead on for me each time. These shots are all of art objects and were done to examine fine detail which I found to be outstanding.

Click on the thumbnails to see an 800x600 then on the 800x600 for the original full sized image.

http://www.lin-evans.net/sigmasd14/index.html

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:19 PM   #2

Lin,

I've followed your posts for a while now and I respect your objective opinions. I know you own or have owned high-end DSLRs from other brands.I use a Canon 5d for my professional work. My question is whether or not you think the the new Sigma is and improvement over the older Sigmas and how does it stack up against some of your other brands? I'm thinking of getting the Sigma Foven ranger finder for my own photos (since it usesthe same sensor, the quality should be similar to the DSLR)

Thanks,

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 1:55 AM   #3

Hi Bill,

It's a considerable improvement over the SD9/SD10 in both resolution and camera body functions. The autofocus is greatly improved as is the higher ISO performance which is about on par with a Nikon D200 or Sony R1. As for the actual feature set of the camera body, though it's a great improvement over the previous Sigma cameras it's not anything which other dSLR's don't already have. The autofocus, and frame rate are about on par with lower end Canon or Nikon bodies and the buffer is still behind but that's because of the huge amount of data the sensor is moving. The sensorcaptures over 14 megapixels of data and produces black and white resolution very similar to 10 megapixel CFA cameras but color resolution far above. In terms of enlargeability the SD14 compares or exceeds 12 megapixel CFA capabilities and has some extremely good overall image quality.

I wouldn't suggest it for action sports or even event photography where a six or seven shot buffer might become an issue, but for wildlife or fine art or landscapes it's an excellent tool in my opinion. I had a couple A0 sized prints among a number of other huge printsalso made with the SD14 at PMA in Las Vegas at the Sigma booth. They were very well received by the public and I believe that it's quite likely that the DP1 will also be a fine tool within its limitedfocal lentth (28mm)capacity. No doubt it willproduce excellent images - far beyond what is available withtoday's typicaldigicam. It won't be a replacement for a dSLR but occupy a definite niche for those who want a compact camera capable of producing images which will equate very well to 35mm color film or negative at like focal lengths.

Best regards,

Lin

wsandman1 wrote:
Quote:
Lin,

I've followed your posts for a while now and I repsect your objective opinions. I know you own or have owned high-end DSLRs from other brands.I use a Canon 5d for my professional work. My question is wheter or not you think the the new Sigma is and improvement over the older Sigmas and how does it stack up against some of your other brands? I'm thinking of getting the Sigma Foven ranger finder for my own photos (since it usesthe same sensor, the quality should be similar to the DSLR)

Thanks,

Bill
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote