Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2007, 2:02 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am currently using my Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 to shot birds and found that sometime the focal length is too short for me to take close-up shot of such small birds as robins and blue tits.

As a result, I am thinking about these two options:

1. Either get a Sigma TC 2x teleconverter to further lengthen my focal length to a 100-300mm f5.6 , or

2. Get a new Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG

It is difficult for me to make the right decision. The price is about the same and each option has its own pros and cons according to my knowledge.

If you have owned any of the two lenses, could you please help me to correct the following check list that I made for each lens?

================================
1. SIGMA 50-150mm + TC 2x:

a. Can produce quite sharp images at 300mm f5.6: YES/NO???

(the Sigma 50-150 can produce sharp image at 150f2.8, so I expect that it can produce nearly the same (with lesser extent) when attached with the TC 2x)

b. Fast auto focus: YES

c. Macro feature: NO

2. SIGMA 70-300mm:

b. Fast auto focus: NO

c. Macro feature: YES

Also, could you please tell me whether the difference in quality lost of using a TC 1.4x and 2x is significant?

Thank you very much for your helps

Thanh.
classicalmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2

classicalmania wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I am currently using my Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 to shot birds and found that sometime the focal length is too short for me to take close-up shot of such small birds as robins and blue tits.

As a result, I am thinking about these two options:

1. Either get a Sigma TC 2x teleconverter to further lengthen my focal length to a 100-300mm f5.6 , or

2. Get a new Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG

It is difficult for me to make the right decision. The price is about the same and each option has its own pros and cons according to my knowledge.

If you have owned any of the two lenses, could you please help me to correct the following check list that I made for each lens?

1. SIGMA 50-150mm + TC 2x:

(the Sigma 50-150 can produce sharp image at 150f2.8, so I expect that it can produce nearly the same (with lesser extent) when attached with the TC 2x)

b. Fast auto focus: YES

c. Macro feature: NO

2. SIGMA 70-300mm:

b. Fast auto focus: NO

c. Macro feature: YES

Also, could you please tell me whether the difference in quality lost of using a TC 1.4x and 2x is significant?

Thank you very much for your helps

Thanh.

Hi Thanh,

You didn't say which camera you were using it with - there is quite a difference between using it with an SD9/10/14 and with say a Canon 5D.

My personal experience is to avoid a 2x teleconverter. The 1.4x is fine, but the 2X induces a good deal of softness which about any lens I've use

on any of my Canon, Nikon, Kodak or Sigma dSLR's.

I can't tell you anything about the 50-150 but I've use the 70-300 APO macro since it was introduced with my SD9, my SD10 and now with my SD14.
I find it to be a very decent lens all around. It's not as sharp as one of the EX lenses like the 105mm F2.8 or the 120-300, etc., but it's a very decent lens.
Here are a coupleimages I took this morning using my SD14 and 70-300 for a macro at 300mm. This tiny Kachina can be seen first setting on a
U.S. 10 cent piece (dime) in a low resolution 800x563 or so then on a full resolution frame. The full resolution frame was shot at F13, 1/200th
with ISO 100 and built-in flash. There was natural window light from cross positioned windows so both flash and natural light. I took four frames
using manual focus with each frame having slightly different focus points. I used Helicon Focus Pro to combine the four frames into a single
image with great depth of field.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:02 AM   #3

Hi Lin,

Thank you so much for your very detailed reply. I was very impressive with your shot using the 70-300mm.

Actually yesterday I already bought a TC 2x mainly because it isquite cheap (around 100 USD) and I will hopefully receive it tomorrow. If the converterappeared to be not good enough, I will think about returning it or resaling it and grab a 70-300 instead.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

Thanh.
classicalmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 2:24 AM   #4

i used to have the 70-300 apo macro and i loved it its the best budget lens in my opinion.check these out

http://photo-cult.com/showpic.php?lns=552&id=172697

http://photo-cult.com/showpic.php?lns=552&id=150670

http://photo-cult.com/showpic.php?lns=552&id=116912
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote