Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Hi

Some say Sigma is a great alternative to high cost Canon lens - others say the extra money may be worth it as the Canon lens communicate info to the camera that the Sigma's don't - exact disatnce to the subject as an example. What have do you all think? (I have a Canon 40d if it makes any difference)

Thanks for your time.

Carson
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:21 AM   #2

Hi Carson ... you should have posted this in the Canon lens section above since you are really talking Canon cameras and would have gotten a reply sooner.

Sigma (and Tamron and Tokina to name a couple more) produce excellent lenses that work very well with different cameras ... they have factory added mount/adapters/electronics to work transparentlywith that particular brand — exactly as the brand's own lenses do.

I use a couple of Sigma lenses with my Canon shooters and they are competitive, if not equal, in build quality and image quality. Moreover, they talk the same language and exchange the same data as Canon lenses with absolutely no problem. But like any lenses from any manufacturer, some are better than others. For example, with few exceptions, Canon L lenses (read EXPENSIVE) stand out in most categories and tests.

And it is so nice to be snobbish and sport the red stripe of Canon L glass mounted to your camera. Look how much money I spent (and yes, I have some L glass too ... but purchases are based on NEED, not snobbery)!

One of Sigma's lenses I like is the so-called "Bigma", 50-500mm zoom. Heavy, built like a Sherman tank, and somewhat slow ... dollar for dollar it is an outstanding purchase.Purchase the Canon L lenses needed to replace it and you have double the cost involved. I'll stand my Bigma shots against similar Canon lens shots any day.

You can comparison shop lensesat different web review locations to find unbiased test results. But to do so you need first to know what specific features in a lens you want. Length, brightness, etc. You must compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, so to speak, across the various brand names. Then make your decision.

One thing I find lacking in the two Sigma's I own is image stabilization (IS), but to buy that feature in a Canon lens really adds on the $$$$!

All the above IMHO!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:32 PM   #3
NHL

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
One of Sigma's lenses I like is the so-called "Bigma", 50-500mm zoom ... dollar for dollar it is an outstanding purchase.Purchase the Canon L lenses needed to replace it and you have double the cost involved. I'll stand my Bigma shots against similar Canon lens shots any day!
I agree totally - just check my latest postings or these for examples:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=569684&forum_id=11
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=585704&forum_id=11

Just look at the pictures and can you tell which is which?
-> Is it the EF-500L or the Bigma?

Quote:
Heavy, built like a Sherman tank, and somewhat slow
Slow hey ???
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

Quote:
One thing I find lacking in the two Sigma's I own is image stabilization (IS), but to buy that feature in a Canon lens really adds on the $$$$!
Not anymore:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:22 PM   #4

Excellent shots as usual, NHL! I especially like the parrots against the sun! Great capture.

I am glad to learn Sigma has at last started to offer OS lenses in lengths I wanted to have stabilized, but still fall a bit short in brightness for what I need.

Wish they had had them when I made my lens purchases quite some time ago. I am sure Sigma with OS street prices will beat Canon's, though! And they sure do have quality product!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5
NHL

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
I am glad to learn Sigma has at last started to offer OS lenses in lengths I wanted to have stabilized, but still fall a bit short in brightness for what I need.
I guess we must be chasing our tail on this one... :-)
Sure a brighter lens help, but then what would you do with the flip side which is the DOF: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
I can't get the whole bird in focus @ f/5.6 with the EF-500 f/4L! and f/8 to f/11 is about the most useful range to me

-> To be useful @ f/4 one needs a lot of light or flash, but then if the flash is already in used why do we need a brighter lens? :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:10 PM   #6

Ahhh ... we are on similar yet diverging photographicquests here!I totally agreed for BIF or other similar action and outdoor shots ... :idea::-)

I havefor the past two years been doing a lot of concert choir and similarphotography indoors at a distanceof a college choir that includes in its laudes trips (recently to China) for "command" performances as well as travels for competitions. Shots in old churches from a distance and other similar venueswhere lighting is "poor" and flashes are not allowed make the need for a long, fast lens a need for me just now.

The f2.8 70-200 IS Canon L is a bit short but low-light performance in that kind of setting is excellent. f/1.4 on a 50mm is outstanding, but getting that close is often difficult or prohibited. And I have at least 18 more months of of this kind ofvenue ahead.

I should have clarified my currentrequirements better!