Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2003, 11:52 AM   #1

Default SD10: noise problems at high ISO rating

I am interested in the SD10 because I like the image quality of the Foveon sensor ant the SD10 address many of the problems of the SD9, mainly the low ISO rating.
I read the Steve's review and I downloaded the samples but I did not liked what I sow. All is ok for the samples at 100 ISO, but if you look the samples at higher rates you can see that the 1600 is unusable and also at 400 the SD10 is much worse than Canon 300D (Digital Rebel), or Pentax *istD and worse then Fuji S602 and Minolta D7hi too.
It seems to me that this is a good camera for shoting in exteriors with good light, but not for indoor or low light.
Maybe that the samples came from a camera with an early version of firmware and that it can be better when shipped.
As now I will not consider it for buying because I need high ISO for my shots.
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2003, 4:40 PM   #2
Administrator

We used a production level camera and doubt that it will get any better than this. We don't even have a price on it yet but have seen that it could be the same as SD9 at around $1800 USD.

My recommendation - buy a Canon Digital Rebel or 10D. Both do much better at higher ISOs and long shutter speeds.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2003, 5:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
We used a production level camera and doubt that it will get any better than this. We don't even have a price on it yet but have seen that it could be the same as SD9 at around $1800 USD.

My recommendation - buy a Canon Digital Rebel or 10D. Both do much better at higher ISOs and long shutter speeds.

-Steve
Steve thanks for your answer.
I too think like you, Canon are better for hig ISO. Now I have some Pentax KAF lens so I am interested in Pentax *istD that has a good review from you and from DPReview also. It seems good as Canon D10 and better than Digital Rebel. I like this camera for its small size also. Unfortunately it is more expensive than Digital Rebel (D300) but with it I can save for the lenses. Sigma SD10 is an interestin camera for its image quality in external shots, but it is not suited for my needs.
Francesco
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 1:06 PM   #4

Default SD10 ISO noise tests:

Who said the SD10 is unusable at high ISO's?...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5296033

and:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6757969

Alf B.
Alf B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 8:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Steve, I'm impressed with your decidedly candid opinion on this matter since it's clear that many will value your views and opinions because of your position. As well, as can be seen from the second response, many will not like what you are suggesting.

My brother recently introduced me to the Foveon concept and with the wisdom of "big brother" instructed me that it would be wise to hold back on any DSLR purchases until this new science had been give a chance to develop and show it's worthiness, and of this he had no doubt. I chose to take a chance not because I "don't" see the future potential of Foveon but because I can't really see a good reason to put all prospects and goals on hold, waiting for the Foveon miracle to arise and change the face of digital technology.

Your statement helped me to decide that indeed I had made a proper decision. While I am getting on with my low-light quest for a good sports shot in a gymnasium, Foveon can work out the bugs with 800 to 1600 ISO settings.

I'm sure both myself and Foveon will gain in the long term as long as neither of us quit.

Thanks, Steve, for your candid opinion. I respect the fact that you don't let business get in the way of stressing a fundamental belief that you presently hold about some of the technology that's mystifying and mezmerizing all of us to the point that not even the experts seem to be able to keep up.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:58 AM   #6

Hello...tap, tap tap...over...hello...tap tap tap
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote