Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Apr 14, 2009, 9:41 AM   #1

I'm looking for a sharper lens than the caon 18-55 efs is 3.5 - 5.6 lens I currently have.

The latest lens from Sigma has caught my attention. It's the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM AF lens.

Sigma has several lenses with a description close to this, so I'll include the url from SIgma, so we don't confuse one lens or another.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=2

I'd like to hear from anyone who's used this lens. Or, if you've read an extensive review of the lens. I read the review in PopPhoto and didn't get much from the review. It was either: a) over my head in terminology or b) not much of a review.

Thanks!!

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:20 AM   #2

I'll try to get some responses by adding some information.

The newest: Sigma - AF 24-70/2.8 EX DG HSM MACRO ASPHERICAL WIDE ANGLE TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS FOR CANON EOS (82MM). Part number 571101. The internet price ranges from $850 to $899 from reputable dealers.

Still available new: Sigma Sigma - AF 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO ASPHERICAL DF FOR CANON EOS (82MM). Part number 548101. The internet price ranges from $400 - $450 from reputable dealers.

So I'm looking at $400 difference in price.

I read this review in POPPHOTO. But from reading it, I can't tell if the $400 price inrease is worth paying. I'd hoping to hear from a sigma user soon. Help.

FP.

No lens epitomizes Sigma's new level of competiton with Canon and Nikon better than this 24–70mm f/2.8. When we tested Sigma's previous 24–70mm f/2.8 in 2002, it sold for $380, a fraction of the price of comparable high-speed glass. This newcomer? $900, street.

The improvements are dramatic. They include a super-quiet HSM autofocus motor, ELD and SLD glass elements to suppress chromatic aberration, three aspheric elements for compactness and reduced aberration, rounded aperture blades for better bokeh[/i], and an internal-focusing design. On APS-sensored DSLRs, the lens scales up to about a 38–112mm full-frame equivalent.

HANDS ON[/b]

This solid-feeling lens is much more compact than its predecessor. It's lighter than the comparable 2-pound Nikkor, but not by much. Focus and zoom rings turn smoothly, easily, and evenly across their ranges. AF is rapid, accurate, and, for all practical purposes, silent.

IN THE LAB[/b]

Its Excellent SQF results were drastically superior to the earlier lens, especially at 50mm and 70mm, indicating much more sharpness and contrast. Distortion, according to DxO Analyzer 3.0.1 tests, was also vastly improved, with Visible barreling at 24mm (0.39%), versus Very Visible (1.2%) barrel distortion before. At 50mm pincushioning was Imperceptible (0.09%)—astounding next to the Very Visible (1.5%) pincushion distortion of the earlier lens. Similarly, the new lens showed just Slight pincushioning at 70mm (0.15%) compared with Very Visible (1.8%) pincushion distortion in 2002. This all suggests a complete rethinking of the lens. Light falloff was gone from the edges by f/3.5 at 24mm and 70mm, with no measurable falloff at 50mm. Magnification ratios at the uniform close-focusing distance of 13.4 inches ranged from 1:10.31 at 24mm to 1:5.34 at 50mm, and 1:4.35 at 70mm—disappointing next to the older lens' 1:3.6 top magnification, but the price of SQF and distortion superiority.

SPECIFICATIONS

24–70mm (24.95–68.56mm tested), f/2.8 (f/3.02 tested), 14 elements in 12 groups. Focusing turns 90 degrees counterclockwise. Zoom ring turns 80 degrees clockwise. Focal lengths marked at 24-, 28-, 35-, 50-, and 70mm.

Diagonal view angle: 84–34 degrees. n Weight: 1.82 lb. n Filter size: 82mm. n Mounts: Canon AF, Nikon AF, Pentax AF, Sigma AF, Sony AF. n Included: Lenshood, softcase.

CONCLUSIONS[/b]

This top-drawer lens is fast and compact, with a practical focal-length range perfect for many of the subjects covered by event shooters and photojournalists in particular.

FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 8:59 AM   #3
Administrator

Here is a 21 page comparison of the new Sigma with a Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S that you may find helpful (translated from Chinese by Google Translate):

http://translate.google.com/translat...ml&prev=_t

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:26 AM   #4

I would grab the non HSM version at that price! I tried that lens a year or 2 ago. It was very sharp but way above my budget. A similar lens but 28-70 (77mm filter) was available much cheaper and i bought that instead. It is my main "studio" lens and its great. Both the above are quite heavy lenses.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:27 AM   #5
Administrator

Lightrules (formerly known as fstopjojo) has some tests comparing the older (non-HSM) version of the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 in his pbase.com albums (not that lightrules is a Canon shooter). Here's one example:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/2470exl

If you scroll down on this page, you'll see more tests comparing it with other lenses (like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 ):

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules

I haven't seen any similar comparisons with the new HSM version of a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 yet.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote