Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:02 PM   #1

Default Sigma SD15

Hi Guys,

I recently received a Sigma SD15 and am thoroughly impressed with the positive changes from my SD14. The buffer is now quite sufficient and will allow at least 21 sequential frames before filling. The LCD is much larger and higher in resolution, the high ISO has been improved markedly (will now shoot to ISO 3200) and the issues with color noise in shadows on underexposed images is gone now.

I will try to get some representative images up in the next few weeks. Right now I'm dealing with my wife Sherry's serious illness (it's terminal) and trying to complete a move from our ranch home of 20 years into a bungalow in town. In a week or so the move will be completed and I may have some time to devote to getting some shots.

The SD15 is, in my opinion, a dynamite camera. It's everything I hoped the SD14 would be and more. Beautiful crisp, clean images and outstanding resolution.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Lin, I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

Please keep us posted on the SD15 as time permits. BTW, I noticed your post on another forum yesterday about an Express Card attached GPU solution. Neat stuff.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:29 AM   #3

Hi Jim,

Thanks - yes, cancer is a terrible disease and sometimes there is little we can do to treat it effectively. Sherry and I have had 33 wonderful years and she has been my rock of stability. She has had a stellar career and has compressed lots of living in her 52 years and is at peace with pursuing the next grand adventure.

It's a great idea to allow the Express Card port to use an advanced GPU. This will bring the power of a desktop video card to the rather graphically challenged laptop for those who need the boost.

Yesterday I was comparing my Olympus E3 with my SD15 and Canon 40D on same subject captures and was very impressed with the SD15. When time permits I'll post samples and comparisons.

Best regards,

Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Lin, I'm sorry to hear about your wife.

Please keep us posted on the SD15 as time permits. BTW, I noticed your post on another forum yesterday about an Express Card attached GPU solution. Neat stuff.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:58 AM   #4

I have Sigma SD10 and quite happy with it. The colors sure are more richer than the other DSLR out there. One drawback I have its that the camera uses a lot of power and can drain batteries in just over 100 shots. Now I am using extra battery grip for outdoor and use AC power for studio photos.

How does the SD15 power consumption?
Indria Djamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 7:45 PM   #5

sorry to hear about you wife - cancer is a nasty thing

as for the camera, i'm not sure about foveon sensor to be honest - the technology needs more time to mature but what i did notice about the sigma cameras is that (in the sd14 at least) is that you could remove the IR filter from the sensor - my pentax k7 is useless for IR photography even with horribly long exposures it really is only the red visible light that sneaks through the filter leaving shots that simply look like i've removed the other colour channels no hint of those nice white leaves etc =( shame as IR photograpghy looked like it would have been fun

sadly i cant justify another camera system just for IR work not with the cost of lenses these days
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote