Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:58 PM   #1

Default Mirror lens for SD10?

New owner of SD10 and would like to purchase 500mm mirror lens to fit. Will I need an adapter for a non-Sigma lens? I know nothing about this and would appreciate some opinions on lenses and how to mount. Would also like to rig the camera up for IR shooting, again any thoughts?
FuZzy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:43 AM   #2

If lens doesn't have Sigma mount it's best to buy with T2 mount + T2 adapter

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

http://www.foto-tip.pl/sklep/product...19&language=en

With different T2 adapters you can use mirror lens with each camera.

Most mirror lenses are delivered with (backside) screwable filters - perhaps you also can get IR filters.

Last edited by DonalDuc; Mar 22, 2011 at 8:03 AM.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:12 AM   #3
DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZzy15 View Post
New owner of SD10 and would like to purchase 500mm mirror lens to fit. Will I need an adapter for a non-Sigma lens?
I know nothing about this and would appreciate some opinions on lenses and how to mount. Would also like to rig the camera up for IR shooting, again any thoughts?
Most mirror lenses come with a T-mount. A T-mount adapter contains two elements. One is an internally threaded insert with a 42mm x 1mm thread pitch. That is a T2 thread. Its for screwing onto T mount compatable items such as telescopes and microscopes.
The second part is the actual adapter, and you need to buy one that will fit on the SA mount. The two that are compatable are the M42 T-mount adapter and the Pentax K (PK) T-mount adapter. Most good camera shops stock them or look on ebay.
The threaded insert has to be removed first before you can mount it on the lens and this is done by loosening the three tiny grubscrews around its front rim that hold it into the adapter. When you remove the insert you will note is has been machined with a tapered rim to hold it firmly in place...Your lens will have the same tapered rim at the back already on it...So you simply slide the adapter onto the lens, rotate it so that your SD10 will be facing up when the lens is fitted to a tripod and when the camera is mounted to the lens say and then tighten up the three tiny grub screws again. You can adjust this at any time in the same manner.
If a non compatable T-mount adapter is already fitted to the lens when you buy it, simply remove it by loosening the three tiny grubscrews around the adapters front rim, pull it off, replace it with you compatable adapter and retighten the three tiny grubscrews. Make sure you dont over tighten them...The taper means that you only have to nip them them up just right and the adapter wont be going anywhere.
If you get the M42 T-mount adapter you will need an M42-SA adapter as well to mount it on your SD10. If you get the PK T-Mount adapter it will fit straight onto your SD10, but there will be a tiny bit of raotational play in the fit...A couple of degrees at most. In comparison, an M42-SA adapter will fit perfectly. The latter is also a universal mount so it will potentially raise the resale value of your lens and make it easier to sell if or when you want to.
I use a PK T-mount adapter on my MTO 1000A 1100mm f10.5 so I can use it on my SD10 and SD14.
DSG is offline   Reply With Quote