Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2004, 7:06 AM   #1

Default Sigma SD9 color and crispy-look Print problem

Long story (sory)
I was asked to help a photo-studio/shop with some problems with there Sigma SD9's.
They had problems with getting the skin color right, and the pale, not crispy looking portrets. I was suprised specially about the latter, since this camera gives a lot a detailed information.
After first working on calibration and color management , The colors still were to yellow. The crispyness we got back by leveling-down about 10 points on the Lights and Darks, radically give as much as contrast as the software 'Sigma photopro' could give, highlight on min., and sharpness on max.
After that in PS still a bit more leveling-down.
The Yellow we took out by filtering it away in the high-lights using the color balance.

Lots of pulling and pushing to get what they normally got out with a little correction from film and a Nikon digi camera. (Forgot with)

They use a huge Agfa-print machine and it was such a strugle to get things right.
Could it be the way the color information is stored in these images from this new Fovion image sensor that somewere along the line software (still) is not tuned to handle it perfectly.

I'm wondering
Maya
Maya Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:44 AM   #2

Maya
There a number of things that have a bearing on the color, such as the lighing, indoors or outdoors, sun or shade, the white balance you have set on the camera for these conditions. Try some experiments at different settings.

Also in the Sigma Photo Pro 2.0 software under Adjustment Controls
the amount os saturation. exposure, and fill, will change skin tones.
When you are happy with result you can save these settings for future use. I am very happy with the results I am getting.

I notice you mention useing highlight & shadow I mostly leave these set on 0-0 Fill will put information and color in the shadow area. Version 2.0 is avaliable at www.sigma-photo.com
cowellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:34 AM   #3

I looked at the site Alf B mentioned in your other post and there was a Plugin for reducing yellow posted at http://www.hkdcug.com/modules.php?op...ewtopic&t=1996

I tried it and it works great , you need to increase contrast by 16 - 20 points after using it
cowellc is offline   Reply With Quote