Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jan 17, 2004, 7:49 PM   #1

Default Sigma lens conversion??

Being a SD9 owner- I'd like to get the 300-800 lens at $4500- but knowing the lens will be worthless the day the Sigma DSLR's are eclipsed by other Foveon equipped cameras by Nikon or Canon to come- can the Sigma lens be converted at the factory to another lens mount? Figuring the high cost of the 300-800 using SA mount- I'd like to know if Sigma can retool the lens for another mount- even if the conversion costs $500 I think it makes owning such a high-end lens worth it.....so anyone here know?

Thanks
www.stevenunez.com
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 5:46 PM   #2

Sigma have a monopoly on using the Foveon sensor, and I do not see this changing in the forseeable future, so I would hang on to your siggy lens for now.
Anyway contary to popular belief, you are NOT just tied to using Sigma lenses with the SD9 and SD10, as like me you can use nearly all M42 screw-fit lenses and soon as many have expressed an interest you will be able to use the following lenses too:

CANON EF ( Auto )
NIKON-F (Manual )
MINOLTA MD( Manual )
LEICA-R ( Manual )
CONTAX/Yashica ( Manual )
PENTAX-K/M42 ( Manual )
TOPCON-UNI ( Manual

These adapters are being specially made in Japan for the SD9 and SD10 by enfusiast engineers who can be found at:

http://www.d-shell.net/

Heres my SD10 fitted with an M42 fit lens:

http://public.fotki.com/alfb/sigma_sd10_and_pent/

So start comparing the price of new Sigma and Nikon lenses and if they are too pricy check out various camera stores for second hand M42 and NIkon lenses.
Second hand Nikon and Canon lenses are always available and in fairly large quantities so you should have no trouble picking up a bargain when the adaptors are available.

Alf B.
Alf B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:01 PM   #3

It is my understanding that Foveon & Sigma has a 2 year "exclusive" agreement which would make next year "open season" on companies interested in using the newest Foveon sensors in their digicams- honestly I hope Canon & Nikon collaborate with Foveon and design a pro DSLR.....as for the adaters, the info seems a little vague on ths site- is thier a Canon EF mont available or is he trying to state he's working on it?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:23 PM   #4

> "I hope Canon & Nikon collaborate with Foveon and design a pro > DSLR"

Why?...And why wait for Canon or Nikon when the Sigma SD10 is available now and for considerably less money than their comparable offerings?.
The SD10 is "a pro camera" and its nearest directly comparable Bayer sensored competitor is the Canon EOS 1Ds which costs 3-4 times as much and yet it still cannot match the SD9 and SD10's sharpess.
What do you lose by buying the SD10?.......No in-camera jpeg support (RAW only) and no full eviromental seals....Thats about it....No great loss as the Sigma Photo Pro 2 software allows one to convert to jpeg and tiff and a simple plastic camera cover bag can do the job of enviromental seals much more cheaply.
Whats more the Sigma SD10 can be bought with 2 good quality lenses on 9 months interest free credit for around 1100 so why would you want to pay 5000-6000 cash just for a camera body?
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:07 PM   #5

Although I am a big fan of these Sigma Foveon DSLR's- the big drawback for me is AF speed and low FPS- if only Sigma would market a "fast sports" DSLR then maybe it'd be the perfect "sports" camera- but it does lack speed for nature photography- bird flight is very difficult and while it can be done- the percentage of "missed" shots is going to be high!

I'd love a Canon EOS 1D or new 1D Mark II version.....but we'll see!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:36 AM   #6

" but it does lack speed for nature photography- bird flight is very difficult and while it can be done- the percentage of "missed" shots is going to be high! "

Are you referring to AF speed?
The AF speed varies on the choice of lens.
If can afford it (not many can), pay out loads of dosh and get an EX lens with USM (ultra sonic motor)and it should be as fast as Canon or Nikon.
AF speed does not bother me anyway as I mostly use manual focus.

Alf B.
Old Jun 6, 2004, 8:56 PM   #7

I went to the japanese site and didn't understand it very well. Can I buy an M42 adapter which allows me to use Leica lenses? If this is so, then can a m42 to canon or nikon adaptor be added to the sigma adaptor, so the other lenses can be used? Thanks. I just would like to use my canon lenses and nikon lenses with my SD9

Thanks.

Gary Mercer
gmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 9:01 PM   #8

I use my sd9 to capture helicopters and dragonflys zooming by---I'm not sure I understand why you say the sigma cameras are too slow? or lenses are too slow? When I use good panning technique with tried and true techniques, I get results. Gary
gmercer is offline   Reply With Quote