Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:27 PM   #1

Default SD-9 modeling pix?

Anyone shoot any modeling shots yet......I think the superior clarity of the Foveon sensor lends itself well to modeling photography with these Sigma cameras....quick shot of my wife.....

stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:33 AM   #2

Hi Steven

Nice shot!...She has very good complexion which helps here, as skin imperfections are easily captured by the SD's and can lead to unflattering shots, which means you end up having to do lots of post processing in PS to cover the blemishes.
What light source was used?...I love the look of this lighting.
Like you I also like to use a black backdrop (Was it black?). Did you know this actually helps to reduce the file size?

Alf B.
Alf B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3

Thanks.

She did give a good canvas to start with- the SD9 did the rest.

The light source was a cheap "Home Depot" clamp-light with standard 100 watt incandescent bulb and Sigma Flash with Stofen diffuser....nothing fancy. I used a nylon black cloth purchased at a textile shop for $9 (9X9) as a backdrop.

I think the SD9 did a great job- I made a few adjustments in SPP and I used one of the "Combo Kit' lens'- Sigma 24-70 lens ($109)......bought the cam and lenses for $1000 at B&H

Time & time again- the SD9 just amazes me with it's awesome clarity.....I can only imagine what a Sigma EX lens would do to further increase detail........the SD9 has got to be the most "underrated" DSLR....if only the general public would give this cam a good look they'd see just how good it is when used in it's element.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:38 PM   #4

Hi again Steve

I took my first real "studio look" portraits of my niece the other day which were actually taken in my mothers front room with no special preperations. What do you think?:

http://public.fotki.com/alfb/portraits/

Alf B.
Alf B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:56 PM   #5

Shots are nice but appear a little flat......did u alter the curves?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:59 PM   #6

I've altered the X3F Fill light in SPP.....I normally get results like this that sorta appear as you've posted......
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:00 PM   #7

Steve,

I've my SD9 camera for professional work and even shot some models as a test with it. It produced good results, good enough for publishing. I had to adjust the skin tones in photoshop, but after this, the results were amazing.
I have an image here that I converted from color to black and white. I sold this image and its not even the best image I shot with the SD9. I've sold other images in the "Art of the beach folder" on my website as well, specifically "rotted piers and "park at dusk" and "bay at dusk". While these aren't my best work, my clients liked them and spent good money. Now that I've proven that digital will work for me, I'm going to move up to a professional model, specifically the kodak dcs so I can use my large collection of nikon lenses. I'm glad I bought the SD9 to decide if moving from film to digital was the thing to do as I saved money and it gave me time to learn more about digital versus film. Gary

www.garymercerphoto.com
Attached Images

gmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8

Steve,

I've my SD9 camera for professional work and even shot some models as a test with it. It produced good results, good enough for publishing. I had to adjust the skin tones in photoshop, but after this, the results were amazing.
I have an image here that I converted from color to black and white. I sold this image and its not even the best image I shot with the SD9. I've sold other images in the "Art of the beach folder" on my website as well, specifically "rotted piers and "park at dusk" and "bay at dusk". While these aren't my best work, my clients liked them and spent good money. Now that I've proven that digital will work for me, I'm going to move up to a professional model, specifically the kodak dcs so I can use my large collection of nikon lenses. I'm glad I bought the SD9 to decide if moving from film to digital was the thing to do as I saved money and it gave me time to learn more about digital versus film. Gary

www.garymercerphoto.com
Attached Images

gmercer is offline   Reply With Quote