Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2004, 12:59 AM   #1

Default Problems with noise

I recently purchased a Sigma SD9 and have been experiencing some problems. The first SD9 I received would underexpose every picture to extreme degrees. For instance, you'd take a picture in program mode outside on a sunny day, and it would come out very dark and shaded with lots of noise (green and blue). I determined that perhaps the SD9 was defective, so I sent it back to the retailer and they replaced it with a brand new Sigma SD9. The new SD9 seems to work better, but I still am getting a lot of noise. It's like the camera isn't letting enough light into the pictures. I'm wondering if I have another defective camera. Anyway, I have some sample pictures below of the problem I'm experiencing with noise. The pictures were taken using the program mode with a Sigma TTL flash (ISO 100). The pictures have been brightened significantly using the PhotoPro software. The pictures have been cropped at 100% resolution...

What I've noticed is that every picture I take with the camera comes out under exposed. Then when you bring the picture into Photo Pro just using the Auto mode, it always has to increase the exposure amount and x3 fill light to significant levels to make the picture look half-way decent. Has anyone else had similar problems? Do you think I have another defective camera?

Thanks for any help,

Justin
jjpepple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:29 AM   #2

Default Expose to the right...

Perhaps its your flashgun and mode settings that are causing the problem?

As far as I know at present Sigma make 4 or more different flashguns, such as the:
EF500 SA, EF500 super SA-N, EF500 DG SA-N?, and EF500 DG
Super SA-N.
If you have the early SA models they were designed for the Sigma film SLR cameras like the SA-7 so they may not be fully TTL compatable with the SD9 and may me giving you the exposure problems.

Their latest and best gun is the EF500 DG super SA-N gun
which is perfect for the SD10 but should also be good for the SD9. Its adjustable in 1/3 a stop intervals where the earlier guns were only adjustable to 1/2 a stop intervals.

Sigma UK did not even know that they made a EF500 DG super SA-N gun and I had to inform them that they did!!!

Personally I dont use program mode, I prefer to use manual and I do not have a problem.

Try using M and using a slower shutter speed, as the SD's dont syncronise properly with flashguns at over 1/250 sec.

I am using a Metz 54mz-3 not a Sigma gun which works not TTL but gives excellnt results providing I bounce the light properly.

Anyway to avoid noise in your shots you should always use your histogram with the 2 sec preview and "expose to the right", works for me:

http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...stograms.shtml

Alf B.
Alf B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 9:19 AM   #3

I am using the Sigma EF-500 DG ST (SA-N) as my flashgun. Do you think that might be the problem?

Thanks for the help,

Justin
Old Feb 6, 2004, 1:55 PM   #4

OK, thank you all very much for your suggestions for my problem. I finally figured out what was wrong. I was using the Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash for all the indoor pictures, and realized that particular flash unit isn't 100% compatible with the TTL metering system and the Sigma SD9. I bought a Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash, and that solved all the problems. Now my pictures look great. Thank you all very much for the help.

Justin