Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:32 PM   #1

I was given an SD9 last month and so far like it except for some battery issues. Using fresh AA's it will often give me the 'low battery' warning as soon as they are loaded. I bought the CRV3's thinking that would solve it, it did initially, but after about 40 shots I took them out, tried some new AA's and again the low battery warning... replaced them with the CRV3's again, low battery (surely they were not run out after 40 shots?!)

Everything is fine using power cable... but then it's not portable.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Lorene
magnufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:29 PM   #2
Administrator

What kind of "fresh AA's ??" are you talking about.

Don't waste money using any kind of alkalines. The only non rechargeable type worth using are photo lithium. The best bang for the buck is high-capacity rechargeable NiMH type batteries. Check our NiMH info page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:51 AM   #3

"fresh batteries" I've used (and still getting the low/no battery warning) include:

New energizer 'e2' batteries (have read the pages on batteries, won't try these again)

Rechargeable NiMH 1.2v 1800mAh (2 different brands, still didn't work... yes, they are fully re-charged)

and the CRV3's (which had been used for about 40 pics, removed before the low battery warning, put in again and had the low/no battery warning)

I'm just concerned that something is wrong with the camera, because surely it would run (at least for a short time) on these batteries.

After reading the battery pages I'm tempted to get the RCRV3s & charger, but are these going to work?!? Have only found two brands in Australia (so far)

Thank you Steve for answering....

magnufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 7:38 PM   #4

Sigma is offering free battery cases for the SD9's that were affected by the problem you describe- give them a call- I did and they sent me a new case the following day- now that's what I call service!!!!!!!!
(Have your S/N ready!)

(even though I fixed the other case- so I have 2 working cases!!)
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:26 AM   #5

A question for stevenyc1 with ref to the sd9 battery problem.

I have just bought one of these cameras (off of E bay) and hit this battery problem

is the fix you spoke of easdy to explain in a mail ? Could you let me know how to fix it please? I am keen to use the camera but not at 19 shots on a set of batteries.

thanks

oldcreaky
oldcreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:16 PM   #6

Are you shure there is a fix?? I bought a HP 935 based on a review on this site, but no one told
me it ate batteries like it did (=19 shots if where very lucky), so I got rid of it. :roll:
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:00 PM   #7

Call Sigma and have ur S/N ready- there's a range of affected cameras and they'll send you a new beefier-connection batt case right away! Slips right in and replaces your old batt case........mine is now working great!

Next time you have a batt issue- likely it'll be the CR123 batts that have died from al the shooting!
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 5:10 PM   #8

If you really want to use AA batteries, get the battery case upgrade from Sigma as suggested for the few times you will use it then to really "fix" the problem buy the battery grip.

The best solution I've found (buying disposable batteries is just too expensive unless you shoot very little) is to use the optionalvertical grip and good rechargeable AA's. The most effective and easiest AA rechargeable batteries I've found are the RayOVac 15 minute rechargers. They really work and actually do as advertised - recharge two AA's in 15 minutes. Here in the US you can find these chargers at Home Depot for about $19 which includes two AA batteries and a charger. Additional batteries can be purchased for about $12 for a set of four.

The battery grip holds eight of these batteries and will let you shoot all day without changing batteries. I keep a second set of eight freshly charged, but as yet have never needed to change them in a full day of shooting.

The problem is that when AA batteries reach a certain state of discharge, their voltage is simply too low to satisfy the SD9/SD10 requirements even though they are a long way from being discharged completely. With the battery grip, you actually get the full value of the batteries charge so that the length of usage with eight batteries is far longer than twice the battery life with four.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 3:06 PM   #9

hello all

thanks for the advice and tips, I think I am making progress now.

Thanks again

Oldcreaky
oldcreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:43 AM   #10

:?I thought I had power problems with my SD9, bought a couple of RCRV3's and they are fantastic. Recommended.

I would still like to know the serial number rangethat qualify for theimprovement to the battery compartment.

Keith
harlington-straker is offline   Reply With Quote