Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:35 AM   #1

A nice way of getting decent macro results without a dedicated macro lens is to use a closeup filter. The Nikon T5 (1.5 diopter)
which sells for around $53 in the U.S. can be mated to any of several Sigma lenses to provide excellent optical performance.
In the image below I used the 5T (62mm thread) with a 58mm step ring to mate to my Sigma 70-300 F4/5.6 APO macro to
get great closeup ability. Obviously, a 2.8 macro lens would allow many available light shots which can't be done with a
slower lens while still maintaining adequate DOF (the 70-300 only goes to F22), but with decent available light it's still
possible to hand hold and get excellent F16 results with this combination. For subjects with less depth such as leaves,
some flowers, etc., this provides an excellent alternative to carrying additional dedicated macro lenses and the T5 allows
1:1 magnification with this lens. Click on link to see full sized image...

Lin

http://www.lin-evans.org/sigma/leafcolor.jpg

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 1:17 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:39 PM   #2

Thats pumping out some serious impressive details M8t. Fine details indeeed. The 6T does an excllent job as well, even for smaller digicams. Nice work in the lighting department Lin.

All the best you two M8t, always a pleasure to see your work.

Danny
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 1:55 PM   #3

Hi Danny,

Great to hear from you! By the way, someone told me Tom W was in a bad auto accident - sure hate to hear that - he's had a rough go of it lately. How's he dong?

We're having fun getting ready for winter and trying to get a work/life balance - HA! Never seems to happen...

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:39 PM   #4

Tom's doing better now M8t. Did his splene in, ouch not nice at all. I'm sitting here with a cast on my left arm, broke my darn wrist, ha ya just can't win mate. :roll::-).

I asked them to set a tripod thread into the castso that I could mount a pan head to it......no sense of humour in there at all :-). Never mind I'll find a way of clicking, too stubborn not to.

All the best Lin, again, nice clear sharp details in that leaf.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 5:24 PM   #5

Hi guys, Lin I just did a search on BH's site for the T5 and nothing comes up- can you give me a link or alternative add-on with similar optical performance?

Thanks
SD9 shooter-

------------------------------------------
OOopps, just found it- thanks........looks cool for under $50- but how is it different from say a +5 threaded filter?
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 8:26 PM   #6

very nice indeed
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote