Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2005, 8:26 AM   #21

I'm a big fan of Sigma's adoption of the Foveon chip and it's superior resolution/sharpness, but I doubt anything new is coming out from them. Actually it seems non-SLR companies are announcing DSLR's or SLR-like cameras.......it seems as if we're going to see CMOS and CCD technology for awhile more. It's ashame the Foveon sensor technology hasn't been adopted by either Nikon or Canon- it would've been great!
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:06 AM   #22

As far as I heard of it, SD11 is abandoned. It should have been 4/3 kind og DSLR.
Probably no more DSLR by Sigma.
however Sigma will go further into 4/3 standard and will produce lenses.
janlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:40 AM   #23

janlef wrote:
Quote:
As far as I heard of it, SD11 is abandoned. It should have been 4/3 kind og DSLR.
Probably no more DSLR by Sigma.
however Sigma will go further into 4/3 standard and will produce lenses.
There will not be a Sigma called the SD11, but there absolutely will be another Foveon based Sigma DSLR.....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:42 AM   #24

Lin, are you a Sigma insider? How are you so sure?(Exciting news for sure!!)
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:58 AM   #25

Sigma's president has stated publicly in an interview that Sigma is commited to both the Foveon processor and another dSLR and there is no reason to doubt that it will happen. Sigma's history is one of not pre-announcing products but rather waiting until development and testing iscompleted and the product launch is planned and ready to proceed. Both Sigma and Foveon are relatively small companies compared to the giants such as Sony (which makes the majority of processors) and Canon. There would be no advantage forSigma to put out a series of instruments with very little differentiationand the costs would be prohibitive so the releases are less frequent but when they come the product differentiation is substantial and the next iteration of Sigma dSLR's will have improvements. The "moniker" SD11 was simply an assumption based on the SD9 and SD10 which had very similar features but shared a common resolution. The next Sigma dSLR will not be called "SD11" but will have substantial differences from the SD9/SD10....

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 AM   #26

Excellent news indeed-------* good to know Sigma and Foveon will continue to produce DSLR's- high resolution imaging at it's best!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 AM   #27

Excellent news indeed-------* good to know Sigma and Foveon will continue to produce DSLR's- high resolution imaging at it's best!
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 AM   #28

Old Sep 24, 2005, 3:39 AM   #29

Alright, this is the first post for me on this forum. I am a strong admirerer of the Foveon technology. It is the best because it doesn't have double the amount of green photosites that RGB (or in reality that should be RGBG) CCDs and CMOS sensors do to red and blue photosites. Anyway I guess I am preaching to the choir. My point in posting was I am waiting for a new Sigma DSLR to come out. I have been looking on the net for any news and found the following at this URL on dpreview forums and thought it would be good to post here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15104598

For those that don't want to login at dpreview or aren't registered here is the post:

http://www.sd9.org.uk/news.htm

So it looks like Foveon and Sigma are working on that new DSLR and hopefully it is coming along really well and will have everything that we wish for on/in it! that sensor will be great if it has low noise and is 5.6 x 3! Wow! Anyway I hope this helps those, like me, waiting for that new Sigma DSLR.

rpc212
rpc212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:23 PM   #30

I just stumbled onto this topic, as I have never heard of Sigma cameras and not familiar with Foveon technology...can anyone enlighten me or steer me to a website for info???

Is Sigma just a cult brand (do not take insult, just asking an honest question) kinda like Betamax vs VHS in the old VCR world?

After looking at sites for Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Samsung, etc, this is a new one for me...do they make their lenses or do they use the lenses of others???

Are they sold in camera stores or just on the net?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
marsha7 is offline   Reply With Quote