Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:12 PM   #1

Is there any news anywhere on a new Sigma DSLR? SD11?
Is Sigma doing anything?
stevenyc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:33 AM   #2
Administrator

Keep an eye on the News page come February, the next big photo show is the PMA 2005 show in Orlando -- if we hear anything you'll be first to know
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 2:07 PM   #3

Steve,

I gotta tell you- you are doing an excellent job with this site and the way you present the massive amounts of data that you do- very well done- big thumbs up!
Myself and everyone on here spend countless hours combing the threads for information, and I thought you should know myself and others appreciate your efforts.

PS- You're famous- I was at a Circuit City and I see a guy mulling over the digital camera selection- and he turns to his wife and says, "I gotta go to Steves-Digicams and see what he says about this camera".......Steve, you're big time!!!!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:11 PM   #4
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words ... we do try ! As long as we saved at leastone person from buying the wrong camera then it has beenworth it...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 2:54 AM   #5

I read on an german forum that foeon has stopped any further r&d on the X3 chip. The guy who posted this claimed that he read this last year in an u.s. magazine's interview of one of foveon's developer. reportedly, this developer has said that the chip isn't doing well at scaling up.

I don't know whether this is true but it would make sense as foveon has been very slow in pushing X3's resolution up.

If it's really true this would mean the end of this great DSLR. As many of you I don't own one but I'm waiting for a better version (higher resolution, reduced noise) and I would be dissappointed if I've to buy another brand.

Here's the link to the german forum:

http://www.dslr-forum.de/archive/index.php/t-17912.html

Regards,

fisheye
Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:35 AM   #6

Being a current Sigma SD9 owner- I have to say that's bad news.......it's too bad because SD9-10 images scale up nicely via Genuine Fractals......I hope this isn't true!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 2:54 PM   #7

Relax, it's not bad news, just talk. Check out the posts, no links to hard facts at all. Also:

Objectivus wrote:

Quote:
Ich denke die Probleme sind andere...... Zum Zweiten ist die "breite Masse" schlicht zu blöd um zu verstehen, dass Pixelanzahl=Auflösungsvermögen=Bildqualität so Kausal nicht stimmt. Dies sind meiner Ansicht nach die "wahren" Gründe für die Probleme rund um den Foveon Chip.
Another one on the same forum pointed to what I think is the big problem here, they've ran out of money.

The technology is superb, but probably a bit expensive, and more so if they can't mass produce above acertain volume.

Hope I'm wrong, but ifso, the technology can easily survive, and I'm shure it will.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:21 PM   #8

The more I use the Sigma the more I realise the Foveon Sensor is the way to go- you just can't get this level of detail from current cameras with traditional CCD's or CMOS....although the EOS 1DS Mark II has superb detailing but that's probably due to it's incredible resolution.....and although I personally like the Kodak DCS series of cams- their new offerings have strange edge detailing and lack a certain sharpness.....the Foveon sensor should continue- it's sad to see it stagnate to a standstill while it's in it's infancy- what potential it has!

Come on Sigma & Foveon- bring on the 6+ megapixel SD11- we're ready with cash!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:46 PM   #9

I hope Foveon wakes up too, but the principle will survive. One way is to use aSTANDARD CCD, ie a 16Mpix one, and replace the bayer mosaic with one with RGB,RGB,... column stripes, then use piezo electric motors to shift it three times while exposing. Same result. The principle will survive.

code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:53 PM   #10

A year ago now I had a short e-mail conversation with a representative at Sigma UK. I was asking about a followup to SD10, and writing about the possibility of on board JPEG-compression and such. Also I asked if my waiting and high hopes was in vain. I just wanted to give them some customer input. Surprisingly I got an answer. I only told one friend about this so far, but today I decided to publish it here at my favourite digicam site.
Bear in mind that this is a year old, which makes me wonder if we're very close to an announcement, or if Sigma and Foveon decided to cancel the projects. Open for speculation.

The e-mail:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Subject: Re: JPEG featured?
Date: 26 april 2004 18.30.09 MET
To: (my e-mail address)

Dear (Palegolas' real name)

Many thanks for your kind comments.

It is possible that Sigma will be launching two new SLR's later this year and I
am sure your patience will be rewarded as the suggestions of customers and
experts have been noted.

Kind regards
(Sigma UK's representative's name)
Sigma Imaging UK

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PS. I switched computer since I got this and forgot to copy my sent e-mails during the switch, so I can't provide you with the original e-mail that I sent to Sigma.
palegolas is offline   Reply With Quote