Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:40 PM   #1
Administrator

Default SD9 Review Concluded

I'm sure they are a lot of eager readers out there that were waiting for our SD9 review conclusion. It has now been posted. You'll have plenty of reading to do as everybody else seems to have also concluded their SD9 reviews too. You'll find a link to the other reviews at the end of my conclusion page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...s/sd9_pg7.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2002, 7:21 PM   #2

Default Nice review Steve......

I think the review was quite fair and unbiased. The technology definitely offers incredible promise and once the bugs are addressed either in firmware, software or in electronic hardware adjustments, this will likely be a dandy camera for many who don't need the additional ISO range or enlargement potential of the D100/D60/S2, etc.

The sharpness of images is truly impressive - I'm still trying to decide how much is the Foveon technology and how much is due to no anti-aliasing filter. The on-screen images are sharper than output from my DCS-760 without it's anti-alias filter, but prints are not greatly different at sizes I've printed to A3. Considering the fact that it's coming from a resolution challenged (compared to the six megapixel Kodak) sensor, the print quality is amazing. It's sharper than the majority of my D30 prints and equal to most of my very sharp EOS-1D prints. This from samples only - my SD9 will arrive early next week and I'll try to get a better handle on the beast and see if Sigma have cleaned up the quality control (dirty sensor) problem everyone else has noticed.

I would agree with Steve - if you will have only one SLR, either a D60, D100 or S2 might be a more flexible choice. If you can afford the luxury of having more than one - this one might be worth a look especially for macro or landscape panos.

Whether it will be good for web images is still to be determined. At full resolution the images are incredibly sharp, so sharp in fact that when I reduce them to 800x600 for web display they clearly show the stair-stepping alias on screen - not the case with my 760 or 1D, so I hope the Foveon software can output a smaller than full sized image with sufficient smoothing to retain the extreme sharpness yet dither the alias..... maybe asking too much....

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:45 PM   #3

Default Arrived this afternoon....

Well, the SD9 arrived in good shape with the 28-70 F/2.8 - unfortunately our Colorado weather reminds me of Steve's Florida weather when he was testing - only colder with sleet and rain/drizzle. Hopefully in a couple days it will improve and I can compare some cameras with identical, or near identical shots.

Lin
Old Dec 14, 2002, 5:31 PM   #4

After testing the SD9 for a couple weeks with the very good 28-70 F/2.8 Sigma zoom lens, I was very impressed with the crispness and detail available, especially under ideal shooting conditions.

I must agree with Steve, however, that were I to make a suggestion for a new purchaser who had no digicam or was wanting to move to a removable lens dSLR, I would pass on the SD9 and buy a D30, S1, D60, S2, D100, etc., instead.

Mine is going up for sale, not because there is anything wrong with it, but just because there are too many restrictive conditions to make it a viable all-around tool for my purposes.

Best regards,

Lin