Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old May 26, 2005, 1:07 PM   #1

Unfortunately I had to do it cus I had a rather large dust speck, well until I took the cover off, I couldn't see it, it was that tiny, just shows the slightest bit can look massive. Anyways I managed to blow it away with one of them puff ball thingies.

Very fiddly job though, quite scary having to be so careful not to do any damage.

It's much better now.

What's the best method for doing this.?

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 6:49 PM   #2

Well done. It won't be as scary the next time round Mart! No matter now dusty the sensor, you just can't see it with the naked eye. Whenever possible, I mount my DSLR on a tripod facing down so that my two hands are free (I can shine a pencil torch into the opening while I clean the sensor).
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 5:27 AM   #3

Wingnut1

I did as you, mounted the camera on my tripod and shon a torch in to help me see but like you say only the biggest dust specks are visible. I still have 2 very minor ones but they're not enough of a problem to warrant another clean yet.

let's hope it stays that way. :-)

cheers

Mart.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:54 AM   #4

what about using a vacuum cleaner on the sensor (of course without touching it)?

fisheye
Fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:14 PM   #5

Fisheye wrote:
Quote:
what about using a vacuum cleaner on the sensor (of course without touching it)?

fisheye

Could be dangerous if you got too close, might be an idea to have it near by then use a blower, then any dust will get suck away from the camera.

Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:46 PM   #6

Most likely result of using a vacuum cleaner inside a DSLR is the destruction of the mirror, among other potentially extremly easily damaged pieces like the shutter curtain blades.

The reflective coating on the mirrors in DSLR sits uprotected on top of the glass, and is very easly damaged.

I agree with mf_blues, carefully use a giottos rocket blower, or products specifically designed for sensor cleaning if contact is required.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote