Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Aug 7, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

I have heard praises for the two lenses that come in the sigma kit...the 18-50 and the 55-200. How are they? Do they compare at all to the EX line? I figured they would be junk, so I already ordered a 24-70 ex and I was just going to use that. Does anyone have experience with them?

My other question: Can you use those two lenses on a film body? I would like to purchase an SA-9 for a backup, but these are "exclusively for digital cameras." Does that mean that the focal length is actually 18-50 on a digital, or does the 1.7x factor still apply. So many questions!

-Collin-
NinjaZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:31 AM   #2

I purchased the SD10 with both kit lenses and in good light they are hard to beat for the money, in low light focus can be an issue but this is more the camera than the lenses I think.

I used mine this weekend and in good sunlight pictures are really sharp with good colour saturation.

I'm happy with mine, good starter kit but I sometimes think I may have been better off getting the 18-200mm instead to save me from changing the lense so often. Not sure how good that lense is though.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:35 AM   #3

Well, that is good to hear. The kit was still less than I could find a body for, so I really didn't lose anything. I paid $900 for the body and the two lenses. Quite a bargain if you ask me. Yes, it was brand new also!

I will get some sample images up posted on my site once the camera arrives. Thanks Mart!

-Collin-
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:40 AM   #4

I paid £649.00 for the same setup, which would be about the same when converted to dollars.

It's a good bit of kit for the money.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:44 AM   #5

By the way Collin,

There's a good active forum for the SD10 at www.dpreview.com

Hope it's OK me posting this Steve, just trying to help out a fellow photographer.

Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:48 PM   #6

Thanks Mart. I will get some sample images up when I get the camera. I should have the camera, the two kit lenses, and a sigma 50mm macro in 3 days. I am excited!

-Collin-
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:32 PM   #7
DSG

The 18-50mm DC is soft andalthough the 55-200mm DC is better,neither is exactly what I call stellar...In fact I stopped using mine alltogtherabout a year ago and I now solely use primes instead...None of them made by Sigma though.

Regards

DSG

DSG is offline   Reply With Quote