Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2003, 3:39 PM   #1

Default SIGMA SD9 File Size???

My post below was made before I realised that this was discussed in another post. Apologies!

____

Hmmm. Good review as usual Steve. I wonder if you or any other SIGMA users can help though.

This is a 3 megapixel camera. But I've heard a lot of reviewers saying "10 million photosensors" and saying that it compares well to 6 megapixel cameras.

I shoot commercially and sometimes my clients need their images to be used for fairly large projects - magazine cover (8.5 x 11 @ 300dpi) or even small posters (11 x 17 @ 200dpi). Can the SD9 cut it as far as RESOLUTION goes?

James
event is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:07 PM   #2

Hi James,
Actually, it can. The SD9 is closer to a conventional (bayer sensor) six megapixel camera in overall resolution than to a three megapixel camera.

Whether or not it's the "right" camera for the job is another issue. I would suggest getting your hands on one and taking some test shots of subjects like you intend to use it for.

Having owned one, It's a great instrument, but probably not nearly as versatile as the new Canon 10D which actually sells for less and can do more in terms of overall versatility.

I would be remiss if I didn't caution you that the SD9 is a pretty specialized camera with a few odd "quirks" which may or may not impact your use. It doesn't do well in low light, but under good lighting produces dynamite images. If you are shooting subjects which are likely to produce moire, then it may indeed be even better than the Canon six megapixel offering, but for overall versatility, I suspect the 10D would be a better investment for you.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:42 PM   #3

Default too late!!

Lin,

thanks for the advice. my new camera was ordered three days ago and is on it's way to me. because I needed it to begin a new assignment immediately I had to buy it then and couldn't wait for availability of the D10... yes, mine is the D60 - I must have got the very very very last one on the market. boy do I wish my timing was a little better!

I eventually chose the D60 over the Sigma though. thanks again for the feedback

James
event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:26 AM   #4

Hi Guys,

Just did a field test of the kodak DCS/n and it proves to be a hardy PRO camera and I actually liked it better than my test of the Canon 1Ds----as far as the price point was concerned. If you ever need a hardy pro camera, I recommend the kodak in either the canon lense or nikon lense body. I still have a warm spot however for my semi pro level SD9. It rocks.

gary
www.garydmercerphoto.com
gmercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 4:29 PM   #5

I am printing my images at 10 x 15 inches at 300 DPI and they are fantastic. Yes - I know this is 4500 by 3000 pixels - I use the Genuine Fractals plugin in Photoshop. Absolutely stunning quality. PLEASE NOTE that you cannot blow up Bayer images effectively with Genuine Fractals due to "artifacting" that is typical. The foveon images are the only other thing besides a drum scan or "reduction" that scale perfectly.
S_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:27 AM   #6

Quote:
PLEASE NOTE that you cannot blow up Bayer images effectively with Genuine Fractals due to "artifacting" that is typical.
I don't know where you got this idea, but it's not correct. The vast majority of professional photo enlargements with dSLR's areand have always been done with Genuine Fractals. "Artifacting," where there is any, comes from jpg compression and few professionals use highly compressed jpg files. I use the Canon D30, 1D, 1D Mark II, 10D, 1DS, Kodak DCS-760 and Kodak digital MF back professionally and use Genuine Fractals for most of my Durst Lambda and LightJet enlargements. We print up to 100 inches on the horizontal aspect with absolutely no problems with artifacting of any type. These are all bayer processed files.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:27 AM   #7

Deleted double post///
Old Aug 27, 2004, 6:24 PM   #8

Quote:
These are all bayer processed files.

Which means what, exactly :?Just a newbie here, eager to learn.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:11 PM   #9

Here's a link where you can investigate Bayer as well as alternative sensor arrangements and algorithms.

http://money.howstuffworks.com/digital-camera13.htm

Best regards,

Lin