Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:52 AM   #1

I am a newbieto DSLR ( but not in film camera). I read all articles about both Nikon D50 and Sigma SD9. I need your suggestions before buying DSLR with lens and flash. I usually taking portrait or landscape only and prices is my priority. Please help. Thanks a lot :-)
nhh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2

Don't forget that the Sigma SD9 is discontinued and was replaced with the SD10 which also now appears to be discontinued. There are rumors that Sigma will be showing a replacement SD?? at Photokina in September but i wouldn't hold my breath.

In answer to your question though the Sigma will give much better images for the type ofphotography you are interested in. i would sugest you have a look at www.pbase.com and look at the Sigma Images that have been taken by Sigma users there and also have a look at www.dpreview.com sigma forum where you will get lots of usefull info and help as that forum is where all the sigma users hang out.
aquatarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3

Thanks Aquatarkus for your information. I just bought the SD9 off eBay and will have it next Monday. Now I am looking for the flash that work best for SD9. I heard that only Sigma EF-500 DG Super or EF-500 DG ST NA are fully compatible for SD9 ( or SD10). But I also read somewhere in this forum that somebody state the Nikon SB-28 DX also works for SD9 ( even better than EF-500 DG Super). Is that for real ? Any one please give me an advise to buy a flash ( any brand) for my SD9 which has fully TTL compatible ? Thanks in advance
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:27 PM   #4

:-)welcome to the Sigma club. i'm sure you will be pleased with your SD9 it wil take a little time to get used to it and find out how it works but it will beworth it in the long run. Although Sigma state that you can only use Sigma flashes you will find that lots of sigma users over on dpreview have used Nikons, and Metz with great success. I will phone my friend Alf (dasigmaguy) to get the model numbers of the Metz flash guns he uses.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:26 AM   #5

Thanks for your help. I'll wait for your answer about Metz flash model #. By the way, do you remember any one using nikon flashes for SD9 ? What is the most TTL fully compatible of Nikon flashes for SD9 ?
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:42 PM   #6
DSG

Not Nikon flashguns, but Canon EF flashguns may be a possibity in TTL mode?...Or Metz flashguns with the Canon EF adapter, but apart from that you can use virtually any flashgun on the SD9 and SD10 as long as it has 6V or less at the shoeand you are prepared to set it manually.

(You can use flashguns with a higher voltage but beware they can make the camera crash repeatedly and depending on the voltage they can even fry the electronics in the camera, so I'd suggest only looking for guns with a low, and therefore safe voltage at the shoe.

BTW, avoid any Sigma flashgun apart from the very latest model, which full name is:

Sigma EF-500 DG SuperSA-N

...Most Sigma reps dont even know about the SA-N designation at the end so you will have to specify it to the salesguy....The earlier guns can often cause severeexposure problems with the SD9 and perhapsthe SD10 too?...Also the SA-N can be set to 1/3 stops to match the SD10 instead of the 1/2 stops only to match the SD9.

You can check out the shoe trigger voltage of many flashguns at:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Regards

DSG

DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Thanks DSG very much. I am using Sunpak PZ-4000AF for my SD9 now with no problem in Manual mode. I am planning to buy a Sigma EF-500 DG ( ST or Super) , but I read that you told me avoid from the latest version of EF-500 DG Super SA-N . I am a little bit confuse between some version of EF-500 DG Super . How many version of them and which one is designed for Sigma SD9 or SD10 ( not for Sigma film camera)? Mostly, I am using my camera for church ( indoor) and portrait & landscape ( outdoor). Please help. :-)
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:45 AM   #8

I think DSG meant avoid the old Sigma flash guns and onlygo for the the new one with the N prefix as Sigma has made improvments to their flash guns and the N version is the latest. thats the one you should be looking to get
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:03 PM   #9

Thanks aquatarkus for your advice . God bless you !
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:14 PM   #10

No Problem your very welcome theres not many of us Sigma users around. thoughts are that only 10 thousand SD9's and 10 thousand SD10's were ever made but we are hopeful that Sigma might be releasing news of a new camera at photokina next month.